The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Joe

Joe

Associate
Just wanted to share my setup specifically for PS4. Have a few problems with it but overall it works.

Just to confirm I believe i have the original 2009, or 2011 mixamp (see pictures) and it DOES have functioning USB chath pass-through for voice. No chat cable necessary.

HD650's + ModMic v1 are plugged into the headphone input on the mixamp 2.5mm headphone jack.I've braided the cables to keep the setup hassle free. Though subjective, the mixamp drives the headphones to an acceptable standard.

Issues: The microphone seems to as if it's shorting. I get erratic hum noise in my ear, when i touch the tip of the microphone i get a tiny shock - Perhaps it's not earthed properly. If i fiddle with it a lot it will get worse then go pop, the hum stops all together for a few hours and functions fine. Plugged into my laptop its flawless - no issues at all.

*The next problem is if i all choose all audio to through optical, then the blend functionality is useless and turning it to voice diminishes both the voice and game volume (logically, this makes sense). However, when using chat only through the Mixamp USB device you really have to have it very loud and pretty much all the way over the right on the blend to hear other people - Perhaps this is because the HD650's are tough cans to drive :shrugs:

*Wondering if i should purchased the latest mixamp (2015 model, or the older 2013) model to see if a few of the problems detailed above have been ironed out. But don't want to pull the trigger unless I can be sure the problems have been ironed out.

*I'm worried about the mic distortion problem plaguing the later mixamps. It only seems to be an issue if the microphone and headphones are plugged into the inline headphone jack with a Y-splitter cable.

The following configuration looks great and uses a dss2 but doesn't include the game/voice blend functionality. Anyway, check it out:
http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31920.0

Basically, I'm struggling to find an alternative to the mixamp and have no idea which version won't have any issues. I don't want to use a chat cable.

Here's the setup, excuse the crappy camera:
p1QaGM.jpg
0UkcqF.jpg
2CumcW.jpg
BXXbL0.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I've had a read of much of this thread and quite like the idea of either the Sennheiser 558s or Beyerdynamic DT770s (both about £100 just now) and a separate mic, but not really sure what I need to get them running. I sit pretty close to the TV until I move and have space for a TV larger than 32" in the long run so can just plug them in to the headphone out socket. Are they overkill for that?

Caporegime
OP
I've had a read of much of this thread and quite like the idea of either the Sennheiser 558s or Beyerdynamic DT770s (both about £100 just now) and a separate mic, but not really sure what I need to get them running. I sit pretty close to the TV until I move and have space for a TV larger than 32" in the long run so can just plug them in to the headphone out socket. Are they overkill for that?

get yourself hyper x cloud v2's (the £70 version not the £50 version) and plug them into the usb on the front of the console.

the 3.5mm jack on the ds4 is horrible to use for both sound quality and connectivity reasons (it degrades the bluetooth signal).

if you really want to use dt770's or 558's then you need a mixamp so your talking about £200 for the setup compared to £70 for using USB.

if you feel usb is lacking then you can always get a mixamp in future and then plug the hyper x clouds into it.

hyper x clouds are on the same level as dt770's (both are closed).

for competitive fps open headphones are better though at picking out details and direction.

Caporegime
OP
Just wanted to share my setup specifically for PS4. Have a few problems with it but overall it works.

Just to confirm I believe i have the original 2009, or 2011 mixamp (see pictures) and it DOES have functioning USB chath pass-through for voice. No chat cable necessary.

HD650's + ModMic v1 are plugged into the headphone input on the mixamp 2.5mm headphone jack.I've braided the cables to keep the setup hassle free. Though subjective, the mixamp drives the headphones to an acceptable standard.

Issues: The microphone seems to as if it's shorting. I get erratic hum noise in my ear, when i touch the tip of the microphone i get a tiny shock - Perhaps it's not earthed properly. If i fiddle with it a lot it will get worse then go pop, the hum stops all together for a few hours and functions fine. Plugged into my laptop its flawless - no issues at all.

*The next problem is if i all choose all audio to through optical, then the blend functionality is useless and turning it to voice diminishes both the voice and game volume (logically, this makes sense). However, when using chat only through the Mixamp USB device you really have to have it very loud and pretty much all the way over the right on the blend to hear other people - Perhaps this is because the HD650's are tough cans to drive :shrugs:

*Wondering if i should purchased the latest mixamp (2015 model, or the older 2013) model to see if a few of the problems detailed above have been ironed out. But don't want to pull the trigger unless I can be sure the problems have been ironed out.

*I'm worried about the mic distortion problem plaguing the later mixamps. It only seems to be an issue if the microphone and headphones are plugged into the inline headphone jack with a Y-splitter cable.

The following configuration looks great and uses a dss2 but doesn't include the game/voice blend functionality. Anyway, check it out:
http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31920.0

Basically, I'm struggling to find an alternative to the mixamp and have no idea which version won't have any issues. I don't want to use a chat cable.

Here's the setup, excuse the crappy camera:
p1QaGM.jpg
0UkcqF.jpg
2CumcW.jpg
BXXbL0.jpg

hd650's require a much powerful amp than a mixamp i believe. they aren't that good for gaming either.

brilliant for music especially vocals and classical stuff.

you should try out hd558's or fidelio x1's.

Associate
Are there any wireless ps4 chat headphones available yet?

Feels like a total technological backwards step considering I had been using wireless party headsets on Xbox 360 since around 2007. Why aren't these being made!?

Caporegime
OP
Are there any wireless ps4 chat headphones available yet?

Feels like a total technological backwards step considering I had been using wireless party headsets on Xbox 360 since around 2007. Why aren't these being made!?

there are plenty but it depends on your budget and how much you value sound quality.

there is an official one which can be picked up for £50-£70

then there are astro a50's which cost around £250

why is there a £200 difference? quality costs and it's really expensive to get a high quality wireless setup.

but even at £250 a £150 wired setup will spank a £250 wireless setup because wired is a lot better.

you can also buy a wireless 5.8 mixamp but it still has some wires involved.

what is your budget and how much do you value convenience over sound quality?

for the sake of a couple of wires. i'd rather have a cheaper higher quality setup.

Soldato

I have the same mixampl and from experience I get a hum if I use my mixamp in USB mode so I do plug mine in to the controller. You can also get a hum if the red plug on the bottom is slightly unplugged. It only needs to be slightly and can easily be knocked back in while twiddling plugs. The shock aspect sounds odd but worth ruling out other reasons for hums first.

I use a chat cable but I also have to have the blend almost all the way over to voice to get a decent balance of game/voice sounds. I don't know much about audio gear but it is something about the PS4. The exact same set up on my XB360 the blend is almost in the middle. I use different headset to you (PC360) so it may not simply be the mixamp can't drive your HD650's.

Caporegime
OP
Associate
get yourself hyper x cloud v2's (the £70 version not the £50 version) and plug them into the usb on the front of the console.

the 3.5mm jack on the ds4 is horrible to use for both sound quality and connectivity reasons (it degrades the bluetooth signal).

if you really want to use dt770's or 558's then you need a mixamp so your talking about £200 for the setup compared to £70 for using USB.

if you feel usb is lacking then you can always get a mixamp in future and then plug the hyper x clouds into it.

hyper x clouds are on the same level as dt770's (both are closed).

for competitive fps open headphones are better though at picking out details and direction.

Definitely won't be playing FPS games.

The one thing that puts me off the HyperX Clouds is the chat volume - every other review or comment says it is a problem. As I play mostly Diablo 3 which is constantly loud with near continuous spells and explosions, it worries me I won't be able to chat properly.

I don't mind buying a mixamp long run as I would prefer a set I can use for music too, but I can't afford both at once.

Caporegime
OP
Definitely won't be playing FPS games.

The one thing that puts me off the HyperX Clouds is the chat volume - every other review or comment says it is a problem. As I play mostly Diablo 3 which is constantly loud with near continuous spells and explosions, it worries me I won't be able to chat properly.

I don't mind buying a mixamp long run as I would prefer a set I can use for music too, but I can't afford both at once.

the reason for volume issues is probably due to them using 3.5mm and not usb.

if you want a set for music too what you going to use as your source?

are you looking for closed (don't leak sound) or open headphones (leak sound but wider soundstage)?

e.g. k702's went on sale today for £120 but sold out pretty quickly. amazing headphones for gaming and music but they require a very good amp to drive them so you wouldn't be able to use them with a phone or tablet.

Caporegime
OP
So your saying i shouldn't upgrade my PS3 to a 4?

where did i say that?

all i'm saying is the bluetooth chip in the ps4 is crap.

therefore it's better to use USB.

My own personal setup is 2015 mixamp conencted by USB and optical lead plugged into an antlion mod mic v4 (muteable version) and hd558's (modded into 598's).

I then when i feel like it double amp using a schiit vali into Q701's or HD700's.

If I don't want to disturb anyone else in the same room I use DT770's

Permabanned
Got a mixamp today to use my PS4 with my Fidelio X2's. Massive upgrade over what I was using before (in-ear headphones plugged into controller). Shame about the mild hissing noise though.

Has anyone tried anything to fix this? I've heard using batteries of somehow powering it directly from the mains resolves it.

Also I'm still getting audio from the PS4 through my TV speakers. Is that normal? Any way to turn it off? Not a big deal since I can just mute it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Got a mixamp today to use my PS4 with my Fidelio X2's. Massive upgrade over what I was using before (in-ear headphones plugged into controller). Shame about the mild hissing noise though.

Has anyone tried anything to fix this? I've heard using batteries of somehow powering it directly from the mains resolves it.

Also I'm still getting audio from the PS4 through my TV speakers. Is that normal? Any way to turn it off? Not a big deal since I can just mute it.

which mixamp is it?

I don't have any hissing on my new 2015 model. But I do on my older model (the first mixamp made).

Well the console outputs sound from 2-3 different sources at a time. I simply turn the volume down on the tv when using the mixamp and then turn it back up when I'm not.

I don't think you can disable HDMI sound when using optical.

Also how are you passing voice chat? Is it through USB or the 3.5mm on the controller?

Associate
I use either some Denon earbuds or PS Vita earbuds (if I want to chat) plugged into the DS4 with no issues. Occasionally I might use some Sennheiser (not sure which model) headphones when I can be bothered to get them out the drawer.

Permabanned
which mixamp is it?

I don't have any hissing on my new 2015 model. But I do on my older model (the first mixamp made).

Well the console outputs sound from 2-3 different sources at a time. I simply turn the volume down on the tv when using the mixamp and then turn it back up when I'm not.

I don't think you can disable HDMI sound when using optical.

Also how are you passing voice chat? Is it through USB or the 3.5mm on the controller?

It's the Astro 2015 mixamp. To be fair the hissing is very quiet unless I have the volume up abnormally high. Can barely hear it at normal volume even when there's no other sound playing.

Don't have any mic plugged in at the moment so I don't think it's that.

Associate
The HyperX Cloud II headset which I ordered arrived yesterday. I can hear things like rain drops better, which weren't so apparent before, but think I was getting a better overall sound from Acoustic Ageo speakers from the headphone output on the TV. That said, I can't have the speakers as loud and need an option for a mic.

The sense of direction is a little all over the place on the HyperX too - for instance, fast move noises on Diablo 3 come out randomly in one ear or the other - you would expect a mix of both.

Haven't tested the mic yet but will give it a try tonight.

Oh, and Pyscho sonny was right - the people complaining of low volume are almost certainly running them off the DS4, though the sound quality itself when running off the DS4 is just about acceptable, not terrible. They go really loud on USB.

Back
Top Bottom