The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Soldato
No sir, but I'm not sure if I'd rather do that or just tune the X7 equaliser a bit to compensate. I have the K7XX sat there too but don't see how they can sound much difference considering the tech specs are the same.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
No sir, but I'm not sure if I'd rather do that or just tune the X7 equaliser a bit to compensate. I have the K7XX sat there too but don't see how they can sound much difference considering the tech specs are the same.

the bass mod is worth looking into.

if i didn't own Q701's already I'd take 1 of them off your hands. The difference between the AKG range just isn't worth it. They all use the same drivers but been slightly modded.

without the bass mod the headphones don't have enough bass.

basically for competitive gaming or listening to classical wide soundstage music, etc you don't want to do the bass mod. for everything else the bass mod is a must.

everyone is sound city with a pair of akg's has done the bass mod bar me because they are my competitive gaming headphone.

Soldato
Decided to try the K7XX, I actually feel they have a much better bass than the K712 but I don't understand why considering the specs. Even when not double amped through Mixamp they are really good.
Not sure I mind stereo gaming either. Seriously puzzled, this is how I wanted the K712 to sound

Absolute game changer this, such a difference when paired with the X7 as well compared to Mixamp for music. I think I've finally finally found my combo.
Got modmic today and ordered the bluetooth dongle for the X7.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Decided to try the K7XX, I actually feel they have a much better bass than the K712 but I don't understand why considering the specs. Even when not double amped through Mixamp they are really good.
Not sure I mind stereo gaming either. Seriously puzzled, this is how I wanted the K712 to sound

Absolute game changer this, such a difference when paired with the X7 as well compared to Mixamp for music. I think I've finally finally found my combo.
Got modmic today and ordered the bluetooth dongle for the X7.

specs are all BS. since they all use the same drivers but they all sound different to the slight tweaks in design.

you have to hear a headphone to know how good it is a spec sheet will tell you nothing.

get them bass modded (it's reversible) then tell me they lack bass.

Soldato
Did bass mod on K7xx (sold K712) and yeah it's pretty much night and day difference. I prefer them like this which is just as well as lost a sticky thing, probably stuck to my arm somewhere like the other one I found.
Just waiting for my BT-W2 adapter for the X7 and I'm complete.
Want to get a shorter cable though as standard is way too long, 1.5m for me.

Associate
Can anyone tell me which splitter cable I need to use a mic with my senheisser Hd 595 and mixamp setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone tell me which splitter cable I need to use a mic with my senheisser Hd 595 and mixamp setup.

If it has a removable cable then you could just get V-Moda Boom Pro (my pref) which would replace your standard cable. You would not need a splitter then.
If you want to use say a ModMic, then you would get a splitter like below and the pointy end goes into the headphone input on mixamp. If buying new you get one with the Mixamp anyway.

HDP_AUDIO_Y_SPLITTER.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
If it has a removable cable then you could just get V-Moda Boom Pro (my pref) which would replace your standard cable. You would not need a splitter then.
If you want to use say a ModMic, then you would get a splitter like below and the pointy end goes into the headphone input on mixamp. If buying new you get one with the Mixamp anyway.

HDP_AUDIO_Y_SPLITTER.jpg

OK thx for that. I have another Mixamp coming from an ebay auction. I think it comes with one of those splitters.

Soldato
What is the best Astro Mixamp to get? I've heard the latest TR which is a Gen 3 has issues? I can pick up the TR, Pro 2015 or the Gen 1 pretty easily which of them is better?

This is without looking for a second hand one or having to search around, basically buying new from anywhere right now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
What is the best Astro Mixamp to get? I've heard the latest TR which is a Gen 3 has issues? I can pick up the TR, Pro 2015 or the Gen 1 pretty easily which of them is better?

This is without looking for a second hand one or having to search around, basically buying new from anywhere right now.

I have the pro 2015 and had 2 older wireless mixamps in fact I think I may still have an older wireless one I need to sell (5.8 mixamp rare as hens teeth and very sought after).

I like the pro model as it uses USB for voice comms which is a lot better than using the controller which I believe Gen1 does. Older 5.8 Mixamp also uses the controller.

I have never used the newest TR versions. So I can only vouch for the Gen 2 Pro (2015 model).

Soldato
I have the pro 2015 and had 2 older wireless mixamps in fact I think I may still have an older wireless one I need to sell (5.8 mixamp rare as hens teeth and very sought after).

I like the pro model as it uses USB for voice comms which is a lot better than using the controller which I believe Gen1 does. Older 5.8 Mixamp also uses the controller.

I have never used the newest TR versions. So I can only vouch for the Gen 2 Pro (2015 model).

Thanks, I know your really into your audio so if you've kept that then it works fine. I'll have a look at that, I've read the TR has metallic noise/sound possibly due to using a higher Dolby profile which many people have a big issue with. I need it first and foremost for the chat feature just so many versions around that it's hard to know what's good and what isn't.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks, I know your really into your audio so if you've kept that then it works fine. I'll have a look at that, I've read the TR has metallic noise/sound possibly due to using a higher Dolby profile which many people have a big issue with. I need it first and foremost for the chat feature just so many versions around that it's hard to know what's good and what isn't.

I think the way you can tell the difference between a Gen1 and Gen2 pro is the Gen 2 pro has white/grey lines under the dial and the Gen1 pro doesn't.

Thing is though modmic doesn't work too well with my mixamp it's a known issue. I need to sell my modmic and look into another mic or a newer version albeit my version of the modmic was their newest and i only bought it a year or so ago.

what you plugging in to the mixamp?

Soldato
I think the way you can tell the difference between a Gen1 and Gen2 pro is the Gen 2 pro has white/grey lines under the dial and the Gen1 pro doesn't.

Thing is though modmic doesn't work too well with my mixamp it's a known issue. I need to sell my modmic and look into another mic or a newer version albeit my version of the modmic was their newest and i only bought it a year or so ago.

what you plugging in to the mixamp?

I've got a pair of HD598's, currently use them with PC/PS4 with both sounds and can hear party chat etc as it works well with my streaming. I have to plug a pair of inear headphones to talk in party chat though and then put audio to TV to hear through my main headset.

I wanted to have it so I don't have to keep plugging a mic in.. I was going to have it setup so I could hear both PC/ps4 through the amp and chat on the PC with my streaming mic while using a modmic attached to my headset for my ps4.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
modmic doesn't work too well with my mixamp, it works but it's not as clear as it should be but it could be because i had it too close to my mouth. I've moved it further away now and had zero complaints since doing so but when i was looking online apparently they can have issues. but it sounds like the "streamer" mixamp the TR may be the better option for you if your doing all that.

HD598's is basically what I use (HD558's) it's the same drivers just slightly different grills and some foam tacked on. They are very easy to drive too easy IMO. I find I need to have them on louder than I would like (my hearing is very good) to get consistent power to both drivers.

So I have sound turned mostly all the way to voice chat to compensate for that then have to lower that slightly within the console. i think that is an issue more personal to me though my hearing is top notch so i tend to have things on a lot lower (speakers, tv, radio, etc) than others.

the HD595's I had before though had no such issues but that was on the older mixamp, it could be my 558's wiring isn't as good as it should be internally. however it's easily resolved by increasing the volume then dialing more to voice. hd598's are amazing gaming headphones (having owned 595's and 558's) no such thing as a proper upgrade from them tbh, i wish I had kept my 595's they were that good.

Soldato
modmic doesn't work too well with my mixamp, it works but it's not as clear as it should be but it could be because i had it too close to my mouth. I've moved it further away now and had zero complaints since doing so but when i was looking online apparently they can have issues. but it sounds like the "streamer" mixamp the TR may be the better option for you if your doing all that.

HD598's is basically what I use (HD558's) it's the same drivers just slightly different grills and some foam tacked on. They are very easy to drive too easy IMO. I find I need to have them on louder than I would like (my hearing is very good) to get consistent power to both drivers.

So I have sound turned mostly all the way to voice chat to compensate for that then have to lower that slightly within the console. i think that is an issue more personal to me though my hearing is top notch so i tend to have things on a lot lower (speakers, tv, radio, etc) than others.

the HD595's I had before though had no such issues but that was on the older mixamp, it could be my 558's wiring isn't as good as it should be internally. however it's easily resolved by increasing the volume then dialing more to voice. hd598's are amazing gaming headphones (having owned 595's and 558's) no such thing as a proper upgrade from them tbh, i wish I had kept my 595's they were that good.

Yeah that's a little disappointing, my second option was to get say a Sennheiser G4me Zero and hook it up to a mixamp so it could use the attached mic. No idea on them cans though and I'm a little put off with the TR mixamp due to the described issues. Big thread on their forums with complaints all very similar.

I love my 598's though but if modmic isn't as great then it's certainly something to think about.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah that's a little disappointing, my second option was to get say a Sennheiser G4me Zero and hook it up to a mixamp so it could use the attached mic. No idea on them cans though and I'm a little put off with the TR mixamp due to the described issues. Big thread on their forums with complaints all very similar.

I love my 598's though but if modmic isn't as great then it's certainly something to think about.

I think it may be due to me in the past being used to crap mics so having to have them close to my mouth.

high quality mic like the mod mic is too sensitive to be placed that close so lots of distortion, etc too loud. Since moving it away had very little complaints but i was trying to figure it out for ages when people were saying my mic sounded like garbage which i found unbelievable as it's a very expensive gaming mic. i decided to move it further away than what i normally would have it and now it sounds fine.

you could always add me on psn and listen to me / mine i think i've got it all setup running pretty sweet now. not felt the need to change anything but when i googled the issue i had seen others had issues too.

Caporegime
OP
thought I would let others know currently there is a great deal on a add on mic. half the price of the mod mic but with similar performance.

I ended up looking on massdrop to see if they had a drop for the new modmic and I found this.

Check out the Massdrop Minimic on @Massdrop: Stronger, More Modular & Half the Price. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-mini-mic?utm_source=linkshare&referer=6HW75F

Half the price of a modmic but with similar performance. Ordered. I'll use this for my PS4 and use the modmic with my PC. The modmic doesn't gel with the mixamp too well.

i just bought it for PS4 use and going to use my mod mic with my PC

Back
Top Bottom