The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Caporegime
OP
Makes it a lot easier that you don't want a mic.

Wireless: Sennheiser is the only real choice but they won't compare to your 650's in terms of sound. 650's are hi-fi, pure audiophile level goodness, no wireless setup will ever be as good as them.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless

There is a review of the range of sennheiser wireless headphones.

Wired then you want a mixamp (because it does virtual surround sound)

As for headphones

AKG K701
AKG K702
AKG Q701

all of them are top end for gaming the K701/K702 are slightly better iirc but there isn't much in it.

Their soundstage is sooooooooooooooo wide you will think your surrounded.

edit:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18607681

there is the official Q701 owners club (which I basically helped create on here). I posted a deal for people which let them buy them for £95 including P and P from USA. Most people also avoided customs so they paid £95 total. They retail for £200-£300 over here.

The K701/K702 is available for £160-£200 here iirc

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
A schiit vali is only needed if you want to use a mic. You don't so the mixamp on it's own should be sufficient. It's only when you split the power between a mic and headphones does the mixamp not provide enough juice for AKG's, simply put your dial to 100% game and you should be fine.

FYI I'm Scottish and own a Schiit Vali but it's not my video lol. I only just got my Vali on Saturday (4 days ago).

The vali is Schiit's budget tube amp, they have a lot better ones but this little thing is amazing for £100 (I bought mine off ebay second hand and only 3 days old the original owner bought it and it didn't live up to their expectations they were used to using gear worth several thousand pounds obviously a £100 amp wouldn't match up to that, so he ordered a Asgard or Valhalla iirc).

If you don't use voice chat then just get a mixamp, if you do then you will need an additional amp.

Caporegime
OP
I could I guess, I take it this will mean only the PC or the PS4 can be plugged in at any one time though and would require switching the plugs between the 2 when done?

You could use the mixamp with your pc as well. USB Cable for PC and Chat cable (DS4 cable) for PS4.

Then you would need a toslink switch, etc as well.

You would still need to do some plugging and unplugging but it would just be 1 cable.

Caporegime
OP
Depends how much you value convenience over sound quality. Only you can make that decision for yourself.

You could always sell your current headset and sound card use a mixamp instead with some akg's

Caporegime
OP
I just bought the AKG K702's from Thommans for €215 with free delivery.

Includes a 3 Year warranty and a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee, can't go wrong there!

Now just need to try source a Mixamp. Gonna try get a 2nd hand one if I can. Can't wait for the new setup, I love buying new gear ha! Thanks again Sonny.

I read that some people found the bass to be a tad lacking in the K701's and the K702's. Some owners even opened up their headphones and removed a small piece of foam or fabric or something to give the bass a little boost without affecting the rest of the sound.

Others insist that the bass is meant to sound the way it does naturally without modding the headphones.

What do you think about this? Did you do any modding on your AKG's?

Doing the mod slightly decreases the soundstage. It also then effects the mid range.

For gaming leave them stock. For music/movies I would mod them.

I have left mine stock as they are my gaming cans (along with my HD558's which I will be modding into 598's). I use HD600 for music and Fidelio X1 for music/movies, I have no provisionally sold the X1's and getting HE400's for music/movies.

the Q701 thread in sound city has loads of info about the AKG range worth a read

Looking at the opening post you mention the Panasonic HTF600.. Are they not poor build quality?

They cost <£30 I wouldn't expect rolls royce for that kind of money but for £30 they are superb headphones. Comfort is superb on them but SQ isn't as good as Koss Porta Pro's or KSC75's.

If your on a budget get the porta pro's and mod them.

Caporegime
OP
Will definitely be just sticking to gaming with the K702's, as I have the HD650's for music and movies.

How do you find the Fidelio X1's for watching movies? Would they be comparable to the 650's for movies?

Fidelio X1 is quite "fun" (bassy), it's mid-fi though your HD650's are h-fi (much better). If you want a fun hi-fi headphone then it has to be HifiMans HE400.

Fidelio X1's are very good all rounders but since you already have HD650's I would avoid them. X1's are good for people looking for just 1 headphone to do everything.

Oooo I just had a thought, The PS4 has optical out does it not? I may be able to pump the sound via that into my PC and capture it via my headset then buy a freestanding mic like the Belkin\Zalman one you have mentioned for a Mic that may solve all of my problems with 1 single cable. I do not actually have my PS4 yet but does the Zalman Mic just plug straight into the DS4 or do I need an adapter to do this? I did skim read the opening post so may have missed this

You will need a USB Mic, if you plug into the DS4, people will hear you but you won't hear them.

Caporegime
OP
But using a USB Mic will allow me to hear them correct via my pc and the optical cable?

yes, so long as it's just a USB mic you connect and not a USB sound card or a USB headset adapter with just a mic plugged in.

if it's a standalone USB mic then yeah it will work properly, if it's anything else then no it won't.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah most people that use that kind of setup tend to have one of those blue yeti USB type mics which cost like £70 just for a mic (just a guess cant remember their exact cost but they ain't cheap)

they do make a small one which is like £18 but you will need a USB extender cable for that on top

Caporegime
OP
What wireless headset works for PS4?

I don't care for sound quality, it's going thorough my 5.1 regardless so it's only for vocals and mic.

It can be a single ear piece.

Something USB charge would be good. Something small, like the xbox 360 one.

Ta.

The PS4 comes with an earpiece as standard. It plugs straight into the DS4. It's good enough for vocals only.

Caporegime
OP
Hi

Got the AKG Q701 headphones off the members market a few weeks back and I'm finding them amazing, the soundstage is brilliant on them, I'm hearing things I never heard before.

I use them for music, movies and gaming which has me thinking is it possible in anyway to integrate a microphone with them?

Cheers

how are you connecting them to the PS4 currently?

either way you will probably need a mixamp (£120 brand new or a lot less second hand) + clip on mic (£1.50 from dx) or antlion mod mic (£30ish from states) and possibly an additional amp like the schiit vali if you want brilliant bang for buck, or something like the topping NX1 (£20) or Fiio E11 (£40) until you can afford a Vali (£110).

you need to read this thread basically, same question been asked many times.

Caporegime
OP
You could just stick the sony earpiece in your ear, plug it into the controller for voice chat only then stick the q701's on over them.

Bit of a ghetto setup but won't cost you a penny

Caporegime
OP
Thanks, I was thinking that, I will give that a try next time see how it sounds.

You could buy a USB mic and use that as a mic only and use the Q701's for all sound something like this

"********* Portable Microphone" or "Blue Tiki" on an auction site

or something cheaper if your not looking for a high quality mic

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Are the PX4's fully compatible with the PS4?

Tempted to pick them up for £85 unless there are better options in that price range?
How do the Sony 2.0's compare?

second hand mixamp - £60-£80
koss porta pro - £30
clip on mic - £1.50

only slightly more, virtual surround sound with brilliant sound quality and fully upgradeable

Caporegime
OP
What's the best set up for around the £50 mark. I know I'm not going to be looking at anything special but I probably got less than 10 hours use out of a headset on a ps3 (from launch day) so just fancied something in case I got into Destiny.

Thanks.

Just buy yourself a standard USB headset and plug it into the console

Caporegime
OP
Just another quick question about the PX4's, will the chat lead always be needed or is that waiting on a patch from Sony?

Sony don't release any info about future patches.

Apparently an insider leaked that surround sound through USB would be coming. That was months ago though and nothing has appeared.

I would go on the basis that you will always need it

Caporegime
OP
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-001-KS

Any one have these?

I'm guessing they just plug straight into the PS4 controller using the included 2 into 1 adapter.

Thoughts on PS4 use?

nope.

they have a usb adapter and work using the usb slot, meaning you have to be within range of the console (length of wire).

they are the bets gaming headset you can buy for the money they are similar to DT770's iirc.

sound city section has reviews on them

Back
Top Bottom