The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Definitely won't be playing FPS games.

The one thing that puts me off the HyperX Clouds is the chat volume - every other review or comment says it is a problem. As I play mostly Diablo 3 which is constantly loud with near continuous spells and explosions, it worries me I won't be able to chat properly.

I don't mind buying a mixamp long run as I would prefer a set I can use for music too, but I can't afford both at once.

the reason for volume issues is probably due to them using 3.5mm and not usb.

if you want a set for music too what you going to use as your source?

are you looking for closed (don't leak sound) or open headphones (leak sound but wider soundstage)?

e.g. k702's went on sale today for £120 but sold out pretty quickly. amazing headphones for gaming and music but they require a very good amp to drive them so you wouldn't be able to use them with a phone or tablet.

So your saying i shouldn't upgrade my PS3 to a 4?

where did i say that?

all i'm saying is the bluetooth chip in the ps4 is crap.

therefore it's better to use USB.

My own personal setup is 2015 mixamp conencted by USB and optical lead plugged into an antlion mod mic v4 (muteable version) and hd558's (modded into 598's).

I then when i feel like it double amp using a schiit vali into Q701's or HD700's.

If I don't want to disturb anyone else in the same room I use DT770's

Got a mixamp today to use my PS4 with my Fidelio X2's. Massive upgrade over what I was using before (in-ear headphones plugged into controller). Shame about the mild hissing noise though.

Has anyone tried anything to fix this? I've heard using batteries of somehow powering it directly from the mains resolves it.

Also I'm still getting audio from the PS4 through my TV speakers. Is that normal? Any way to turn it off? Not a big deal since I can just mute it.

which mixamp is it?

I don't have any hissing on my new 2015 model. But I do on my older model (the first mixamp made).

Well the console outputs sound from 2-3 different sources at a time. I simply turn the volume down on the tv when using the mixamp and then turn it back up when I'm not.

I don't think you can disable HDMI sound when using optical.

Also how are you passing voice chat? Is it through USB or the 3.5mm on the controller?

It's the Astro 2015 mixamp. To be fair the hissing is very quiet unless I have the volume up abnormally high. Can barely hear it at normal volume even when there's no other sound playing.

Don't have any mic plugged in at the moment so I don't think it's that.

what headphones? is it on every game or just one?

do you have the dial turned all the way to game then? or in the middle?

i'll test mine today but i don't think i hear any hissing on the new model.

The HyperX Cloud II headset which I ordered arrived yesterday. I can hear things like rain drops better, which weren't so apparent before, but think I was getting a better overall sound from Acoustic Ageo speakers from the headphone output on the TV. That said, I can't have the speakers as loud and need an option for a mic.

The sense of direction is a little all over the place on the HyperX too - for instance, fast move noises on Diablo 3 come out randomly in one ear or the other - you would expect a mix of both.

Haven't tested the mic yet but will give it a try tonight.

Oh, and Pyscho sonny was right - the people complaining of low volume are almost certainly running them off the DS4, though the sound quality itself when running off the DS4 is just about acceptable, not terrible. They go really loud on USB.

If sound is all over the place in Diablo it could be the way that game was made. Try something which people know was well put together "sound wise". The last of us is a great example, as is destiny and BF4.

I tried the headphone out on my GT50 (high end plasma) and it was awful full of interference. So it's surprising to hear someone thinks their headphone out on the tv is better than directly from the console.

The hyper x clouds have been very highly reviewed on these forums (sound city section) and on head fi comparable with DT770's which again have been very highly reviewed on these forums and head fi.

The DS4 was not designed to be used with headphones but IEM's.

If you have a PC try plugging them into that by USB and then watching a very high quality video on youtube (one of the UHD/4K ones). Obviously youtube isn't a high fidelity source but you will get an idea of how good the headphones are when fed with a half decent source.

A little bit more reading sounds like its possible if I use a splitter such as this: http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/pcv-05 into the controller with the mic plugged into that. As long as I keep my output to TV/Receiver then it should work...

nope

voice chat will be sent to controller and output into nothing as nothing is connected to the headphone part of the splitter

Thank you for your reply; I was thinking some amps with a price range of £50-£80. Which let me put headphones and mic in sorry I am new to this. I have been looking at gaming headsets but came across your forum and I want to use headphones to get a more richer experience but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I understand I need three things;
1.) headphones
2.) amp
3.) mic

But I was wondering is there different amps apart from the mixamp which are lower in price ? Also how does an amp work with ps4 e.g. How would you connect it too ps4?

connect through optical out.

you can buy a brand new mixamp for £90-£100 which is only £10-£20 over your budget. why buy something inferior when you know £10 would get you what you need?

or a second hand mixamp for £50-£80 which meets your budget.

IMO you would be stupid to consider anything else the mixamp is the best thing you can buy for a console under £300 then it would the creative x7.

you can get a full setup for around £75 if you buy smart

second hand mixamp - £50 to £60
Koss KSC75 - £15
dx clip on mic - £1.50

Last edited:
Hah hahaha k702's are one of the most power hungry headphones you can buy. You need a proper dac/amp not plug them into a controller.

It's even been said a mixamp is barely able to power them and many double amp them using a mixamp and a separate amp.

In fact it's what I sometimes do. I have q701 which are basically a modded k702. I use a mixamp and a schitt vali to power them.

Even a top end samsung mobile isn't enough to power them so I'm surprised your getting any sound out of a DS4.

Bare in mind those headphones used to retail for around the £300 price mark. It's not as simple as people think that you spend big money on headphones and nothing on the rest of your setup. People have been fooled into thinking that by overpriced tat like bose and beats.

If I were you I would buy a wired mixamp for console use and something like a nad d 3020 for speaker use as well or nad d 1050 for purely headphones. That would then connect to your PC or laptop for music use.

By pluggING k702 into a DS4 is like plugging a ps4 into a TV using a scart cable then complaining it looks no better than a ps2.

You need to get rid of the weak link in all your setups.

The DS4 is cap avoid the 3.5mm at all costs

Hello psycho sonny,

I have found a mixamp which I can buy for £46 new which I am quite happy with, it looks like it is the 2013 model. Before I make the purchase I got a couple of questions which I'm hoping you can help me with. I understand that it will be USB powered and connected through the ps4 via optical. i also understand that I would connect the headphones via aux in slot on the mixamp.

As there is only one aux in where and how would I connect the clip on mic?. Does the mic also use a 3.55mm

Also sorry about being a pain but I read reviews that people struggled to get party/game audio correct (unable to hear other people) is this true or ? If so is there a way around it.

Thanks for your help once again I really appreciate it.

I don't know how that mixamp works specifically.

I think it may be mains powered.

The aux is for connecting like a mobile phone to take calls or to play music whilst gaming I think.

All mixamp have a headset out which you wither plug a headset into or a splitter then a separate mic and headphones into the splitter.

I have the newest mixamp and it's got so many inputs and outputs it can get confusing.

I have 2 daisy chain ports.
A xbox chat cable port.
Headset port.
USB port.
Aux port.
Optical port.

Possibly another as well can't remember.

I'm sure youtube has plenty of videos on that specific mixamp.

I would be shocked if there were none.

Whats the best (preferably wireless) CHAT headset to get?

best wireless = astro A50

best competitive = mixamp + ad700x + seperate mic (antlion mod mic or usb yeti, etc).

best all rounder = mixamp + modded akg q701 or modded akg k702 or akg k712 pro + seperate mic

the mod on the akg takes 2 seconds to do all your doing is removing a bit of film from inside the cup.

Thanks but not what Im looking for.

Im only after a mono chat headset for voice communication, I want the rest of the audio to come through the tv so don't need a proper stereo headset.

Unless you have one of a very few and rare TV with decent built in audio your better off with a decent set of headphones.

What your looking for doesn't exist.

You can however buy a USB mic like a blue yeti for voice comma and let all audio including voice come through your TV.

Most TV however have awful built in speakers.

It must exist somewhere, there are quite a few chat headsets, one of them at some point must have 'decent' audio quality for voices only.

Id prefer not to sit there with a great big whop-off pair of headphones on when i play video games.

The ps4 doesn't support any third party bluetooth headsets. The only first party wireless headsets are all headphone type the last time i checked.

You also mentioned the word decent. Anything that plugs into the controller is quite bad in terms of audio quality. So no it doesn't exist, there is no wireless earpiece for the ps4.

You could wear a small pair of headphones they don't need to be hifiman he400's.

The only way to get decent audio comm quality from a ps4 is by using USB or optical out. Neither of which are wireless either.

Yes the PS3 supported any bluetooth earpiece but the ps4 doesn't. The bluetooth chip in the ps4 is a pile of crap and offers terrible audio quality through the DS4.

This sounds like a bit of a tall request but maybe someone knows. Is there a wireless headset that provides decent audio (don't particularly care about high end amazing stuff), that I can also plug into the PC and switch between the two inputs without having to cral around behind things?

astro a50's

So I already have pairs of AKG K712 & KXXX which I use with my PC but they run off an ASUS Essence STX. I have finally got a PS4.. late to the party I know.. What is the best way to make use of them with the PS4 without costing the earth?

new astro mixamp - £90-£100

second hand astro mixamp - £40-£70

I seem to be having an Issue with my A30s and Mixamp Pro (Latest one). When playing games etc the sound is great but when I try to join a party there is a red ! over my mic and says its not connected. Any Ideas?

Oh and can I buy A40/A50 headset and use my current Mixamp?

can you take a pic of your setup?

where is the usb lead connected to?

have you looked and selected USB mic in settings?

Psycho Sonny

What would be gaming for positional sense out of the 598 or 650's?

My 555's are falling apart currently, trying to get Sennheiser to to an out of warranty repair but not getting to far. So i need a replacement and have chosen between them two. I'm not against others just love the sound of my 555's and want something the same or better.

AKG 702 with a cheapish Amp any good either?

for gaming AKG K702 is like an end game setup you don't get any better you need a mixamp though to enjoy the best in gaming sound unless you want to buy a creative audio x7 (ridiculous money).

for the money though the best bang for buck is HD518's or HD 558's.

why? they have the same drivers as the 598's, in fact the only difference is that 558's have foam on them and are black as opposed to cream and brown. remove the foam and you have 598's for cheaper. the 518's are much more modified they have different grills, etc. they are restricted to sound worse due to being muffled but stil very good for the money.

however the build quality just isn't there imo on the 5XX range from sennheiser i own 558's and i think the cable is the weak point. if it had a removeable cable i'd love it. the fact it doesn't means if you have an issue with the cable your screwed.

i would give the 558 a 8/10 and the k702 a 9.9/10.

i also own akg q701's which are basically a modded k702. i also own hd600's and hd700's as well as DT770's.

the dt770's are a must own if you need closed headphones however they are probably a 7/10 due to not having that wide soundstage that open headphones do. the hd700 is sennheisers best when it comes to gaming but it's only marginally better than a hd558 with foam removed.

i would rate the regular stuff people buy as below 5/10 from turtlebeach etc. it's cheap tat made to look good. i could show you a pair of headphones for £15 that would sound as good or even better. koss porta pros or koss ksc75's.

another option is HyperX Cloud II Headset it's ridiculously good for the money and has a mic attached but nothing really compares to a mixamp plus akg's it's simply is end game.

i day to day use hd558's but I'm going to start using my q701's more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom