**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Thread ****

Associate
Anyone else on the Samsung upgrade program? I had an email telling me my upgrade window was open, but if I try to login to the site it tells me I'm not eligible for an upgrade? :confused:

Associate
So that's a no from me. Having been in a dilemma about getting a new MBP (against replacing my mid 2012 retina) and I'm now faced with sticking with an S8+.

Is it me or are tech companies moving backwards rather than innovating? The last decent Note I had was a 5. Shocking really.

Last edited:
Soldato
So that's a no from me. Having been in a dilemma about getting a new MBP (against replacing my mid 2012 retina) and I'm now faced with sticking with an S8+.

Is it me or are tech companies moving backwards rather than innovating? The last decent Note I had was a 5. Shocking really.

Just out of curiosity.. what were you wanting/expecting?

Soldato
Is it me or are tech companies moving backwards rather than innovating?

Samsung and Apple aren’t innovating, but other companies certainly are. The trouble is, that innovation is across several companies and thinly spread, so there’s no way to pick up that perfect device.

Examples of innovation:

Asus ROG phone
Huawei camera tech
Oneplus (making 90hz a viable reality)
Google are working on some new ideas for their Pixel 4.

Soldato
Yeah plenty of innovation, just spread across different manufacturers. Nothing overly revolutionary but it's still there like Huawei's zoom lens, fast charge and under screen speaker. OnePlus do have that 90hz screen which will hopefully become the norm as it ads a whole new level of smoothness to user experience.

This was just incremental and not sure on the smaller model and little controversy on the jack. Nothing bad at all, just nothing extraordinary or standout on this model. There was a little buzz around that 64mp sensor but nothing came of it, nothing interesting around camera tech in general and same refresh rate on the screen. 45w charging on Plus is great though.

If you're due and upgrade from an older phone then perfectly fine, but feel like they could have pushed the envelope a bit more.

Associate
Just out of curiosity.. what were you wanting/expecting?

Not a step back? The Note was always meant to be a flagship device, with each new iteration bringing new features (whether that be hardware or software). I buy my phone's outright, there is literally nothing compelling me to drop a 4 figure sum of money on this. I simply wish this obsession with 'thinness' or aesthetics was just put to the side for the more 'pro' models (you can also apply that to the new MBP). I would take an extra mm or 2 so I could have a headphone jack, removable battery, etc.

My S8+ looks as though it will be last Galaxy phone.

Soldato
Not a step back? The Note was always meant to be a flagship device, with each new iteration bringing new features (whether that be hardware or software). I buy my phone's outright, there is literally nothing compelling me to drop a 4 figure sum of money on this. I simply wish this obsession with 'thinness' or aesthetics was just put to the side for the more 'pro' models (you can also apply that to the new MBP). I would take an extra mm or 2 so I could have a headphone jack, removable battery, etc.

My S8+ looks as though it will be last Galaxy phone.

Fair enough.. to be honest you'll struggle to get a removable battery nowadays and many wouldn't call that innovation.. in fact you could argue that innovation has removed things you want..

Truth is.. and I've said this numerous times.. it's demonstrably not the case that there's enough demand for any of the things that people suggest they want because people don't support the products that have those features by buying them. Consumer electronics companies like Apple and Samsung are in the business of supplying (and yes sometimes shaping but not much) consumer demand..

Associate
Fair enough.. to be honest you'll struggle to get a removable battery nowadays and many wouldn't call that innovation.. in fact you could argue that innovation has removed things you want..

Truth is.. and I've said this numerous times.. it's demonstrably not the case that there's enough demand for any of the things that people suggest they want because people don't support the products that have those features by buying them. Consumer electronics companies like Apple and Samsung are in the business of supplying (and yes sometimes shaping but not much) consumer demand..

Of course there is the demand. The whole reason of having a top of the range line is literally for that. Power users. Do you honestly think I give a damn that they've managed to shave half a mm off the phone? What I do care about is now having to buy a dongle for my headphones. I don't want to use Bluetooth, I want the OPTION to use either wired or wireless out of the box. Anyway enough ranting from me, I'm off to find a new laptop and a new phone it seems!

Soldato
Of course there is the demand. The whole reason of having a top of the range line is literally for that. Power users. Do you honestly think I give a damn that they've managed to shave half a mm off the phone? What I do care about is now having to buy a dongle for my headphones. I don't want to use Bluetooth, I want the OPTION to use either wired or wireless out of the box. Anyway enough ranting from me, I'm off to find a new laptop and a new phone it seems!

You misunderstand me, I'm not saying your demand doesn't exist or you're not special. I'm saying that a long-winded process of understanding consumer demand has presumably lead Samsung to conclude that they're doing the right thing and there's more people who might want this than want what you want.

Associate
You misunderstand me, I'm not saying your demand doesn't exist or you're not special. I'm saying that a long-winded process of understanding consumer demand has presumably lead Samsung to conclude that they're doing the right thing and there's more people who might want this than want what you want.

They clearly haven't paid any attention to consumer demand. That advertisement of ripping into Apple about the headphone jack a few years ago has aged well hasn't it? Actual Note users (not what you believe 'consumer demand' is) will generally all tell you that the best Note was v5 (edit sorry meant v4!). And don't take my word for it, you only need to go on Ars or various other forums to see how this V10 has been received. You seem to be confusing general public with power / professional users. Samsung have quite literally taken the Apple route.

Last edited:
Soldato
They clearly haven't paid any attention to consumer demand. That advertisement of ripping into Apple about the headphone jack a few years ago has aged well hasn't it? Actual Note users (not what you believe 'consumer demand' is) will generally all tell you that the best Note was v5 (edit sorry meant v4!). And don't take my word for it, you only need to go on Ars or various other forums to see how this V10 has been received. You seem to be confusing general public with power / professional users. Samsung have quite literally taken the Apple route.

It was bound to happen power user vs consumer who will give the greatest profit . Personally I can count on one hand how many times I've used the head jack on my phone's in last 10 years ,it's not as if they have removed the function altogether like the removal of the SD card slot on standard N10 . Innovation doesn't always bring the desired results but it is what is and jack is now gone.

Soldato
Part of the Notes problem is that it comes out towards the end of a Chipsets cycle instead of the start so ends up just being a slightly improved S series from 6 months prior with no new shiny feel.
Kind of wish the galaxy and note swapped release dates or new chipsets came out at note release

Back
Top Bottom