**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

Associate
So it's getting close to what is believed to be a February release date for the S22 line. This time around the ultra model will essentially become the Note series replacement, with a built in spen and different more square design.

The UK looks to be getting the Exynos in collaboration with AMD, which was rumoured to be a real challenge to the Apple A15, and SD898 but the early benchmarks are not looking promising on the processing side, but time will tell. That said the GPU performance does seem to be ahead at this point.

https://wccftech.com/galaxy-s22-ultra-with-exynos-2200-poor-benchmark-results/

General news to date
https://www.sammobile.com/news/everything-we-know-so-far-about-galaxy-s22-flagship-lineup/

I'm looking forward to seeing what the final reviews look like, but at this point I'm not blown away by the probable designs based on early prototypes seen in the field.

https://bgr.com/tech/see-the-galaxy-s22-ultras-new-design-in-the-first-leaked-live-images/

Associate
OP
Well, i am looking forward to pre-ordering my Note 222 ultra i mean my s22 ultra. I hope the rumours are not true and that the new Samsung/AMD chipset is crapy. The trouble it is just rumoured atm some are saying everyone is getting snapdragon and the Samsung one is not going to be ready and it is vastly underperforming. i also noticed some new regions have been added to the snapdragon. I wonder what preorder goodies we will get this time.

Yes I'm hoping that the scores improve closer to Christmas for the exynos 2200, especially if we are one of a few countries getting it. As you say most countries have been swapped over to the SD898 for reasons unknown, I guess it could be to do with global shortages perhaps

Associate
OP
I'm a little concerned still about 70% of the world are getting the new SD 898 now called the SD 8 Gen1 and that we will be in the 30% getting the new Exynos 2200, it doesn't instil me with faith that it's going to be on par with the SD, initial benchmarks are all over the place, so too early to tell. I have a feeling I'll wait to see the performance and battery life reviews before buying.

Associate
OP
Some more reports coming in of benchmarks for the new sd matching gpu performance of the a15 but not close in terms of cpu. I really hope the exynos isn't miles behind! We should get some benchmarks by end of month

Associate
OP
Not looking good for the Exynos 2200, apparently Samsung have started to pull all of their marketing materials for it, as pre launch its looking worse than all its counterparts in this space. Ih dear, if it is true I really don't like the idea of them palming them off in the UK. I'll most certainly just do an import.

Associate
OP
The more I'm thinking about the new s22 ultra the more I'm not liking what i am reading. I am going to skip this release. I am not prepared to gamble on the new chipset. sucks we don't get a choice. So I'm off to apple for at least a year.

pre-order goodies have been leaked. That was the main thing i liked about Samsung. But if the leaks are correct it is going to be either buds pro(which are amazing bar the allergic reaction some people get me included) buds 2 or a galaxy watch 4.

The resale of each of them is not the greatest.
Hope the phone is good for those who are getting it.

I'm in a similar position, but going to wait for full reviews side by side, drain tests etc compared with the S21 ultra and iPhone 13 Pro Max. Not going to bother with pre-order

Associate
OP
Bit the bullet and ordered the black S22 Ultra 512GB, looking back at the promo deals last year it seemed to be the sweet spot with code stacking. Used a 10% discount code, £310 for a trade in on my old phone, quidco £50 offer (hopefully), and will see the freebies. Still going to wait for the battery life and camera performance reviews, but may just cancel or return depending what pans out. Hoping the E2200 isn't complete trash compared to the SD

Associate
OP
Odd we haven't seen a battery life test as yet, hopefully it will appear tonight/tommorow as I feel its the only bit missing from all the reviews. Expect it to be better than the s21 ultra, but not as good as the iphone 13 pro max. But I think thats ok, would be fantastic if it is close to the iPhone

Associate
OP
Why is everyone so concerned about the battery life? I get that obviously it's a PITA to have to charge regularly, but in reality, don't we all just charge our phones when we notice the battery getting low and get an opportunity? And aren't these new chipsets supposed to be more efficient anyway?

I'm switching from an S10 to an S22, so expecting to see a nice jump in user experience etc, but the battery life really isn't that much of a concern for me.

I appreciate however that perhaps some of you will be using your phones more often than me, and perhaps even for work etc. Maybe even a few of you are keen photographers and like to use your phone for that hobby/profession too. So I get that. But are any of you just annoyed purely because it's not a significant upgrade on last years model?

Not looking to wind anyone up by asking this, I'm just genuinely a little unsure why it seems to be such a big issue for so many people.

Only because my current note 8 now has a terrible battery life and I have to charge at least once a day. As long as it lasts the day with moderate to high usage I'll be happy, but would really like to see some comparisons as it looks to be a step down in terms of battery life compared to last years models from what i've seen so far. That's not ideal as it's supposed to be more optimised, but the chips don't seem great this year on that front. Each to their own I guess, but my preference is to charge overnight only, and not to have to worry about taking a power bank with me if I'm out for the entire day

Associate
OP
Ok so slightly behind the s21 ultra which isn't a great outcome. I'm struggling with why it isn't better and somewhere inbetween the s21 and iphone 13. But hey ho, doubt it will improve further, so I guess it will do

Associate
OP
Sounds like people have been picking up the cheaper spigen charger which looks good (shame no black). How about screen protection, ive had a whitestone tempered glass on my old note, but seemed to get very poor reviews for the s21 ultra. Any thoughts? Assuming the UK ones won't have a protector fitted?

Associate
OP
And here's some more bad battery life from the S22U
ThEt93p.png

Full video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvp7oAHuNDI

Wow 3hrs of screen on time in a real world day of usage. Seemed to be 8hrs in the recent comparison video against the S21 & iPhone, so this real world usage of 3hrs SoT is not good at all. I'm quite concerned to see if others validate this.

Back
Top Bottom