**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Thread ****

Soldato
One thing I've noticed, the fingerprint reader isn't as quick or responsive as the iPhone, sometimes it tells me it doesn't recognise my fingerprint, other times it'll say hold it down longer, hopefully it improves once it recognises my print quicker.

Soldato
One thing I've noticed, the fingerprint reader isn't as quick or responsive as the iPhone, sometimes it tells me it doesn't recognise my fingerprint, other times it'll say hold it down longer, hopefully it improves once it recognises my print quicker.

when you add the fingerprint just move your thumb/finger around a bit, up down, side to side.. rotate etc :) just so it catches more angles/points of the finger-print.

my s7 is faster than my 5s

Soldato
I did :) it should learn your fingerprint over time the more you press it :)

I've also missed having the drop down menu for quick access.

93Lh8Mjl.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
when you add the fingerprint just move your thumb/finger around a bit, up down, side to side.. rotate etc :) just so it catches more angles/points of the finger-print.

my s7 is faster than my 5s

the fingerprint is hell fast, much faster then the s6 edge, also register the same print 2-3 times , if you just use the same print, just use it on all 4

Man of Honour
Right so been playing around more, battery life based on my individual app usage, mobile reception and other factors is a lot better than the Z5, it’s even a bit better than the Z3 was on KitKat. It’s getting better still as my “new phone usage” settles down.

Screenshots:
rps20160310_112151_884.jpg

rps20160310_112101_306.jpg
^ I have the Facebook pp installed as well as Messenger, notice how it’s not even 0.2% battery consumed via either? So much for the FB app “batterygate” hate wagon on the internet the last few weeks :rolleyes:

Still not found a way to sort the vibration in vibrate mode for apps that have the vibrate option unchecked in their settings (seems to be a Samsung thing…) but I have figured out how to watch Youtube360 in the Gear VR (use The Samsung Internet Beta app in Oculus store).

Moving onto Gear VR, it’s too pixelated when watching 360 videos, so it’s quite pointless. Photos are better, but bit of a faff just to see those getting the VR out, setting it up, moving jpegs to the SD card etc etc. As such, I’m confident this is just a glimpse of things to come. The VR headset won’t improve in quality because it’s using magnified optics to get the phone display onto your eyes.

This can only ever be so crisp in quality. I think the LG G5 VR headset might be a better option as it’s a proper headset. I’ll probably buy the LG headset in the near future and watch content that way assuming LG don’t lock it to LG phones only. I dislike how the Gear VR is locked to the Oculus home application and everything is routed through that.

I’m going to put my headset up for sale, should get £50 for it which means an even greater saving on top of the £32 already had through TopCashBack buying the phone.

I’m also using the Spigen slim case now, will use it for a bit and see how I get on, think it feels really nice and at least protects the back from scratches and scuffs for a short while anyway without taking too much away from the form of the phone.

I’ve also disabled Edge Display completely, bit pointless if you ask me as a custom launcher user anyway.

The largest takeaways from upgrading from the Z3/Z5 for me has been camera performance and battery charge time/life. The Z3/Z5 screens are really excellent anyway so it's not a big step up in terms of colour quality or image clarity, though the edge does add a new dimension to videos and photos. Aside from AMOLED blacks of course ;p

I'm liking the headphones out on this too. The DAC is certainly a step above the Xperia series. The TubeAmp Pro mode in the settings is nice, adds a mellow warmth often associated with tubes.

The built in speaker is very good, but it's not as nice an experience as front facing stereo ones on the Z5. It gets the job done though and has deeper bass than the Z5 speakers. Just a shame it's not front facing stereo...

I've disabled all the Office apps and some Samsung apps. I don't use any of them and have my own preference for such things.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, initial impressions of my S7 so far so far seems very nice. Build quality feels lovely with the metal and glass, and the camera seems decent if not particularly earth-shattering... in fact I would say you DO notice the lower MP when zooming in to view details like I did on my Sony Z1. Navigating around seems responsive, and the fingerprint function is eerily fast. I'll update once I get my SIM in and really use the phone.

Very glad I didn't go for the Edge as the form size is just perfect, very sleek and svelte. :)

Mobster
Soldato
I've found the signal/reception on the S7 to be "meh". In line with other Samsung phones. Not terrible but nothing special whatsoever.

I've got it next to a Nexus 6P. Both are on Vodafone and the S7 is going between no service and 4G, whereas the Nexus 6P is on a constant 4G connection.

Man of Honour
mrk, It's not locked just to the Oculus app :p . If you want to use another VR app, you have to load that first and then insert your phone into the GearVR when prompted to do so. Check out http://www.sideloadvr.com/

You can't use youtube though, I play a youtube video and hit the goggles button to load it in 360 view, then attach the VR and it loads up Oculus or moans that Oculus apps aren't installed if I've removed it.

No signal problems here on 4G, same as other phones on the same network. Get 70Mbps odd down, 30+ up.

Associate
There are a few tempered glass screen protectors coming out over the next 1-2 weeks for the S7 Edge..... I hope at least one of them is decent!!!

I don't like not having anything protecting my screen :)

Associate
You can't use youtube though, I play a youtube video and hit the goggles button to load it in 360 view, then attach the VR and it loads up Oculus or moans that Oculus apps aren't installed if I've removed it.

Aye that's a shame. You can load them through the Samsung browser in the Oculus app but would be nice in the standalone Youtube app.

nam

nam

Soldato
Right so been playing around more, battery life based on my individual app usage, mobile reception and other factors is a lot better than the Z5, it’s even a bit better than the Z3 was on KitKat. It’s getting better still as my “new phone usage” settles down.

Screenshots:
rps20160310_112151_884.jpg

rps20160310_112101_306.jpg
^ I have the Facebook pp installed as well as Messenger, notice how it’s not even 0.2% battery consumed via either? So much for the FB app “batterygate” hate wagon on the internet the last few weeks :rolleyes:

Still not found a way to sort the vibration in vibrate mode for apps that have the vibrate option unchecked in their settings (seems to be a Samsung thing…) but I have figured out how to watch Youtube360 in the Gear VR (use The Samsung Internet Beta app in Oculus store).

Moving onto Gear VR, it’s too pixelated when watching 360 videos, so it’s quite pointless. Photos are better, but bit of a faff just to see those getting the VR out, setting it up, moving jpegs to the SD card etc etc. As such, I’m confident this is just a glimpse of things to come. The VR headset won’t improve in quality because it’s using magnified optics to get the phone display onto your eyes.

This can only ever be so crisp in quality. I think the LG G5 VR headset might be a better option as it’s a proper headset. I’ll probably buy the LG headset in the near future and watch content that way assuming LG don’t lock it to LG phones only. I dislike how the Gear VR is locked to the Oculus home application and everything is routed through that.

I’m going to put my headset up for sale, should get £50 for it which means an even greater saving on top of the £32 already had through TopCashBack buying the phone.

I’m also using the Spigen slim case now, will use it for a bit and see how I get on, think it feels really nice and at least protects the back from scratches and scuffs for a short while anyway without taking too much away from the form of the phone.

I’ve also disabled Edge Display completely, bit pointless if you ask me as a custom launcher user anyway.

The largest takeaways from upgrading from the Z3/Z5 for me has been camera performance and battery charge time/life. The Z3/Z5 screens are really excellent anyway so it's not a big step up in terms of colour quality or image clarity, though the edge does add a new dimension to videos and photos. Aside from AMOLED blacks of course ;p

I'm liking the headphones out on this too. The DAC is certainly a step above the Xperia series. The TubeAmp Pro mode in the settings is nice, adds a mellow warmth often associated with tubes.

The built in speaker is very good, but it's not as nice an experience as front facing stereo ones on the Z5. It gets the job done though and has deeper bass than the Z5 speakers. Just a shame it's not front facing stereo...

I've disabled all the Office apps and some Samsung apps. I don't use any of them and have my own preference for such things.

Thank you for the mini review, which launcher are you using and which apps have you disabled ?

Soldato

I don't know that you'll be able to use it with the S7 Edge as it uses USB type C and is only compatible with SD820 devices.

It's a shame the GearVR doesn't seem fully fleshed-out yet. I guess I'll probably sell mine if it ever turns up and just buy the Samsung wireless QC pad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom