**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
Yeah I've noticed this with facial recognition, it's pretty quick.

Also, if you didn't know you can double tap the icon to open up the relavent app (Gmail etc)
Yep that does make it slightly better. But it's a good job I've got a smart watch for the notifications other wise it might annoy me more :)

Soldato

If displays didn't vary there'd be no need for the picture settings that exist on every display ever made,and I wouldn't have 300 quids worth of TV colour calibration sensors in my drawer.

Saying that I'm not seeing any sign of red push on mine

Soldato
Tap the phone icon on the homescreen.
Tap the menu the 3 dots in the top right corner.
Go to settings.
Enable wifi calling.
Done mine got text straight away from EE saying wifi calling enabled

Associate
Not sure if this is the case with most S8 owners here, or it's just me being very picky - If I look at the where the very top of the screen meets the surrounding chassis (above the notification LED), I can actually see the light from the LED shining though the gap.

Soldato
Amazing performance today from my S8! Well impressed

10h15m on battery
3h35m SoT

And I've still got 47% left! Best I've had so far from it I think

Associate
Those on Vodafone and can't find wifi calling - have you tried going into your voda control panel and turning off wifi calling. Wait 10 mins or so and then text CALLING to 97888. Once you get a txt back from Vodafone go back to voda control panel and turn wifi calling back on. After this the option appeared at bottom of call settings. This worked on my S7 but worth a try on an S8?

Soldato
Not doubting it won't work... but I'll be keen to know how you get on with that so I know for next time! :)

Reason being, I spoke to one person at Vodafone who said that you have to be with another provider for 30 days before they let you come back... hence me going with the Vodafone PAYG option.

So let me know how it goes please and hope you don't get stuck on that Three SIM for a month!

So, it's all worked fine :)

Timeline:

Monday: Gave three PAC code
Tuesday: Number ported to three sim. Tried to transfer off again but you need to leave it until the next day, can't port in and out same day.
Wednesday: Got pac code from Three and gave Vodafone my three PAC code and they've now confirmed the number will transfer during business hours tomorrow.
Thursday: All being well saga over!

Total cost: £0.75 for the three sim card from B&M.

Last edited:
Soldato
More impressions after a few days use on a S8+

1. The screen is utterly outstanding - it just feels good to look at every time I turn it on. Way, way better than my old iphone 6s+. I bet Apple are cacking themselves over the quality difference.
2. Battery seems ok, but I've not really flogged it yet. I've not had to charge it during the day so far, which can only be a good thing.
3. A lot of people seem to be mentioning that the screen is really long. It is, but lengthways was the only way the screen could get bigger without becoming enormously wide. I am really appreciating the size of the screen.
4. If you have used any other 5.5"+ screen recently, the S8+ will be just as easy to use, if not easier owing to side swipe features.
5. The fingerprint scanner is really inconvenient. I like to have my phone on my desk to one side. If I try to get into the screen I need to either lift the phone up (would be the same on any rear-mounted scanner though) or lean right over for iris or face recognition. It's a bit of a pain to be honest.
6. Not really phone related, but Android has come on in leaps and bounds since I had a Note 2. In some respects it's miles ahead of iOS, but in others it still lags (I am sorely missing Apple's news app - all the Android alternatives are really poor in comparison, and I wouldn't have minded a built-in podcast app that works as well as Apple's).
7. All-in-all, I'd buy again simply on the basis of the screen. There's not likely to be another phone for a year to challenge it (Note 8 excepted, which will probably fix the irritating fingerprint scanner, but oh well).

Soldato
Those on Vodafone and can't find wifi calling - have you tried going into your voda control panel and turning off wifi calling. Wait 10 mins or so and then text CALLING to 97888. Once you get a txt back from Vodafone go back to voda control panel and turn wifi calling back on. After this the option appeared at bottom of call settings. This worked on my S7 but worth a try on an S8?

It's more likely that VF-UK hasn't enabled the WiFi calling profile on their side for these handsets / customers. Same thing happened last year on S7's and it took a month to pass testing as the first config wasn't right (i sometimes test this for VFUK). As long as VFUK customers have texted calling to 97888 it will be enabled as soon as it's available.

Just be aware for those this is new for, VF use wifi calling as an option of last resort as wifi calling is SERIOUSLY poor. While i appreciate everyones experience is unique, i design networks for Voda (internationally, not UK before people give me stick) and wifi calling is always awful because it has to make do with your own connection which will always be worse than a dedicated radio network with the correct prioritisation etc... It's good to have when the option is zero but wifi calling is awful compared to any other option.

Back
Top Bottom