Caporegime
Just amazing reading some of the figures involved

Massive speed
Massive distance
Yet still less than a footstep in the grand scheme

Great story

Soldato
Random question.

How physically battered would the voyagers be? Would they or have they been hit by particles or micrometeorites?

NASA should now send a new voyager on the same path, albeit a faster longer lasting model, and see if it ever catches up. Odds would be ginormous though.

Soldato
Random question.

How physically battered would the voyagers be? Would they or have they been hit by particles or micrometeorites?

NASA should now send a new voyager on the same path, albeit a faster longer lasting model, and see if it ever catches up. Odds would be ginormous though.

I would imagine they would be well protected from the environment out there...

And I would think a mission like that would be unlikely, there wouldn't be any real scientific objective of the mission important enough for them to launch another for a while, I would think :(

Would be nice to have some pictures from out there though

Man of Honour
Absolutely amazing. I just hope mankind can overtake it some day when the tachyon shunt drive comes along. ;) Almost as amazing is a modern smartphone has millions more times memory and processing power than the three on board computers.

It does serve to remind us how utterly vast space is. It will not come near our neighbour stars for around 40,000 years. Mind blowing.

Caporegime
Absolutely amazing. I just hope mankind can overtake it some day when the tachyon shunt drive comes along. ;) Almost as amazing is a modern smartphone has millions more times memory and processing power than the three on board computers.

It does serve to remind us how utterly vast space is. It will not come near our neighbour stars for around 40,000 years. Mind blowing.

Unless a space dump truck picks it up :D

Man of Honour
OP
Meet the new member of the NASA team:

u44c.jpg

Frog launching with LADEE mission at the Wallops Flight Facility last Friday. :D

Man of Honour
The frog has allready been posted.

Well looks like sept15 is off for the F9v1.1-CASSIOPE mission.
In the hot firing test, Elon Musk tweeted they found some anomolies that they will have to figure out before a launch can go ahead.

Man of Honour
F9v1.1 cassiope is delayed after several anomalies on the hot fire were found. New hot fire schedualed for wensday, no official launch date now, but its usually about 3 days after a sucesful hot fire. Assuming they can get launch permision and no other space launches are schedualed and of course weather peritting.

Man of Honour
OP
Orbital Sciences have delayed the launch of Antares/Cygnus because of the need to change out a faulty cable. Launch is now on September 18 at 15:50 BST (10:50 EDT).

Back
Top Bottom