** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
OP
The future of design at space x, awesome.

xNqs_S-zEBY

Now hurry up and launch that darn falcon 9 v1.1

Man of Honour
The cows like that.

I just want too know when the next grasshopper test is as spaceX said they were preparing it for another higher test, but gave no dates.
And when the CASIOPE flight is, as far as I can see the last launch date released was September 14th. But they showed the booster in a pic on labour day and it wasn't even stacked by the looks of it, no idea how long tha takes, but would have thought it would be longer.

Man of Honour
Yeah, I arched the hand over last night.

Right not the 14th, which is good as I'm out alllll day on the 14th, will be in on the 15th.
I hope they have a camera on the 1st stage powered decent or a camera covering it in the ocean. They need a couple UAVs

Launch window: 1600-1800 GMT (12-2 p.m. EDT; 9-11 a.m. PDT)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Cassiope satellite for the Canadian Space Agency. Cassiope carries a communications relay payload for a commercial digital broadcast courier service and an instrument to observe the Earth's ionosphere. The rocket will fly in the Falcon 9 v1.1 configuration with upgraded Merlin 1D engines, stretched fuel tanks, and a payload fairing. Delayed from April, June 18, July 9, Sept. 5, Sept. 10 and Sept. 14. [Sept. 9]

Man of Honour
Nice video and its nice to see a new rocket, but what an utter waste of money.

Falcon Heavy 53tons to LEO $120 million per launch
SLS 70tons to LEO $500million + 20billion (could be as much as 41billion)over 10 years

Falcon XX 126tons to LEO under $500milliom
SLS 130tons to LEO $???

Why spend o much devloping when space X has a cheaper version and they will pick up devlopment costs. Nasa could be building and launching cyclic transporters for mars. Or any number of other things.

On top of that, orion is pretty useless, for the same price (again ignoring devlopment costs, so even bigger saving) you can have an orion capsule or a dragon capsule and a biggalo habbitat.

And ts not forge dragon 2.0 with landing legs and rocket pods folr soft land landings, itll be more versatile than the orion.

So short term spacex/biggalow can deliver more space for same price, and in long term offers even more.

Not that I can blame NASA, it is congress who need a kick in the balls. NASA need to be ggiven a clear target and leave this stuff simpler stuff to private organisations, after all tthats what theyve be building these companies for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom