** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
Oh wow even closer than first appeared.

Elon MuskVerified account
‏@elonmusk Looks like Falcon landed fine, but excess lateral velocity caused it to tip over post landing

4pysyf.jpg

Elon has said video won't be out for a few days. When barge returns to port.

Man of Honour
why are they landing something on a barge?

The 1st stage has always just been dumped into the ocean, spaceX is trying to land it so it can be reused, to drastically cut the cost of access to space.
It's always likened to if you had to throw a passenger plane away after every flight.

They can't get permission for land landings, without proving they can do it at sea.

Soldato
Awesome, shame it's not longer.

Btw apparently it's meant to fly in side ways so it does burn it's way through the deck.
https://vine.co/v/euEpIVegiIx

SO close though !! Good effort by all, its a seriously hard thing to do, they will get it sorted soon I think, I guess they need to mess with the software to bring it down more steady and slowly, and perhaps upgrade the deck of the ship to allow exposure to rocket thrust for longer?

First pictures of Pluto from the New Horizons probe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32311907

It's still 115M Km away, and is due for its fly by around mid July.

It will take 16 months to transfer the data it collects back to Earth!

Also looks amazing, can't wait to see clearer pictures as we get closer :D :)

Man of Honour
What's happened to Ceres, there was loads of news when Dawn was far away with the bright spots, it must be much closer now and yet I haven't seen any updates or new pictures.
And yes Pluto flyby will be awesome. even Hubble is only blurry spots.

Caporegime
The 1st stage has always just been dumped into the ocean, spaceX is trying to land it so it can be reused, to drastically cut the cost of access to space.
It's always likened to if you had to throw a passenger plane away after every flight.

They can't get permission for land landings, without proving they can do it at sea.

surprised they cant use the desert somewhere doing it on a boat at sea must makew it o much harder than stable non moving ground.

Man of Honour
surprised they cant use the desert somewhere doing it on a boat at sea must makew it o much harder than stable non moving ground.

They will land it on land when they get the certification.
Until' then, not much choice, their launch pads and constriction centres are where they are, and then there's the ITAR law, which bans American companies doing pretty much anything abroad or working with any one abroad, as they could be used as weapons.

Associate
What's happened to Ceres, there was loads of news when Dawn was far away with the bright spots, it must be much closer now and yet I haven't seen any updates or new pictures.
And yes Pluto flyby will be awesome. even Hubble is only blurry spots.

If I recall correctly, the optimal flyby time will occur in June (that's when the best pictures will be taken); although I haven't been following the news on that very closely I'll admit so I may be wrong.

Man of Honour
After I said that a report showed up on Facebook the best news feed ever created.

Interesting thermal scans, one bright spot is colder than the surrounding area and one bright spot no temperature difference to surrounding area. It's going to be great once it gets closer.

Man of Honour
New longer video, boom..

So close, and on only the second account. It just never landed vertically looking at that, rather than waves or anything else.

Last edited:
Soldato
We're really getting near a successful landing. Am I right in saying that, if they land it successfully, all they'll do is check it over, made sure there's no damage, and then refill it and use it again? And that's it?

Man of Honour
We're really getting near a successful landing. Am I right in saying that, if they land it successfully, all they'll do is check it over, made sure there's no damage, and then refill it and use it again? And that's it?

Eve and s looks like they are very close.
The first one they'll strip down an examine fully to see what states it in.

Then a future one they'll launch, they already have a customer willing to stick a satellite on the first for a discounted price.

Back
Top Bottom