** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Live coverage of what? Even though it passes at 12pm they will lose contact with it early on and won't get feedback from it till midnight.

Man of Honour
Just a shame I'm working tonight.
Planetary society are having a live party thing, with some of the new horizon team assuredly skipping in etc. But it's like midnight before we get any data back.

Man of Honour
Yep, it's sad how big scientific discoveries don't get more coverage. Nothing in my Facebook, other than from the space groups I follow. But nothing from any friends. Even other science things I'm following it haven't mentioned it. You would think LHC and other projects would congratulate them on social media. I suppose there's still time.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Charon and Pluto are the same age but their surfaces are very different. Charon is crater battered whereas Pluto is resurfaced by weathering. Looks like sand dunes and snow can be made out in the latest image.

Much much higher resolution images are due after midnight as the signals travel the ~4.5 light hours back to us!

The NASA Eyes app gives a cool overview of live simulations of where it is vs the path taken relative to us and the rest of the solar system:

bSweLeA.jpg

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Amazing stuff.

I wonder what the sun would look like from Pluto.

I'm assuming it would almost be pitch black on the surface there?

Not pitch black nope, Charon will appear several times larger from Pluto than the full Moon from Earth. Charon reflects sunlight onto Pluto, you'd be able to see your own shadow as you can on Earth from a full moon, but your shadow would have a little less definition. You'd certainly be able to walk around without bumping into stuff!

Back
Top Bottom