** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Good thing it's your last post on this :p

In case it's not in jest (and this is for Groen's benefit anyway). They'll know how big Pluto is in the shot so the processor on board will automatically reject the periphery of the shot to reduce the file size for transmission back to Earth. Empty space at Pluto looks much the same as empty space at Earth so there's no point spending precious bandwidth sending the whole of the photo back.

Ah that makes sense! Either way both explanations would come to the lack of stars in the BG too of course :)

Last edited:
Don
It's also quite possible, again due to bandwidth restrictions, that they're using aggressive lossy compression techniques initially to produce the first images.

Edit: Not to mention that it's also a combination of two images anyway.

Permabanned
Sorry i said it is my last post in this thread.

Didn't see the link to the black and white photos above. I think i am both right and wrong. right that yellow planet image in the media is questionable and wrong that they are not actually taking photo of the planet.

This is what i would expect at that distance of 2.5 million kilometers, not a yellow/orange planet.

http://www.planetary.org/multimedia/space-images/small-bodies/pluto-20150712.html

http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/a...13-15_pluto_charon_image_nasa-jhuapl-swri.png

ELA

14cZK3pl.png

not a purple in sight.

Suspended
They will have cropped out the background for aesthetic purposes! Calm down!

Exposure settings will already make the background dark but sheesh...

Soldato
Groen i don't know why you persist in not believing in real life events, is there something wrong with your brain, you work in a bank don't you counting other peoples money:rolleyes:, if you think Nasa are doing something wrong go get a job with them and give them your input, guess what they would put you in a rocket and blast you in to space.
Do you also not believe in the voyager probes still sending back data or is that all made up aswell.
The space thread is a great part of the forums so keep your nutter conspiracy theories out of here go and make one up elsewhere.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
^^ They mentioned in an article I saw, upto sixteen months for all the data to get back!?

A very low-speed link coupled with enormous file sizes = a very long wait.

I wonder how they actually do it. From a transmission perspective the latency is just too great for any sort of TCP-style error correction through retransmission but they must do it. I wonder if they packetise the data (each with a CRC) and transmit it multiple times (I'm imagining several time-staggered bitstreams) so they can reassemble the single stream of data from complete packets from any of the streams.

That's probably how I would do it based on my understanding of the situation, but I'd be very interested to read how they actually do it!

Soldato
Is it just me, but everyone I have spoken to about this seems quite unaware that these are the first real pictures of Pluto and so are not very interested. I think because there have been so many illustrations and CGI versions of it people are totally underwhelmed or ignorant to the fact this is ground-breaking history.

The media should be making more of the fact we have not seen it before.

Soldato
Is it just me, but everyone I have spoken to about this seems quite unaware that these are the first real pictures of Pluto and so are not very interested. I think because there have been so many illustrations and CGI versions of it people are totally underwhelmed or ignorant to the fact this is ground-breaking history.

The media should be making more of the fact we have not seen it before.

Indeed! And the fact it even has weather systems too! So isn't just a frozen static ball!

Back
Top Bottom