** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

A grand achievement, no doubt paid for with the £279m we gave to India in 2015 as overseas aid. Sorry, I'm all for helping the poor, but this does not add up in my mind.

Does seem a tad bonkers doesn't it...

I guess the argument is this sort of activity creates jobs/industries...

A grand achievement, no doubt paid for with the £279m we gave to India in 2015 as overseas aid. Sorry, I'm all for helping the poor, but this does not add up in my mind.

and this is a silly comment. space brings in more money than it costs.

so you would rather their economy stagnates and need more aid?

science and technology is exactly where they should be spending money as it one of the best returns on investment and thus grows the economy.

These 'India can't afford a space program' comments REALLY REALLY REALLY annoys me!!!! I've seen similar all over the net/fb etc

NEITHER CAN THE USA IF YOU FOLLOW THAT LOGIC !!

America is full of people under the poverty line, never mind the wreck that is their health system, the city that got destroyed by a hurricane remains the same and no one fixed it.

Yet no one mentions the hundreds of BILLIONS India spends on their military :confused: :confused: (51.6 Billion to be exact !!!)

Hows about the USA stops spending 2 TRILLION on its military and looks after all of its people? Same goes for the UK for that matter.............India's TINY amount of money on its space program is well justified, and will actually put money back in to the economy.

These 'India can't afford a space program' comments REALLY REALLY REALLY annoys me!!!! I've seen similar all over the net/fb etc

NEITHER CAN THE USA IF YOU FOLLOW THAT LOGIC !!

America is full of people under the poverty line, never mind the wreck that is their health system, the city that got destroyed by a hurricane remains the same and no one fixed it.

Yet no one mentions the hundreds of BILLIONS India spends on their military :confused: :confused: (51.6 Billion to be exact !!!)

Hows about the USA stops spending 2 TRILLION on its military and looks after all of its people? Same goes for the UK for that matter.............India's TINY amount of money on its space program is well justified, and will actually put money back in to the economy.

Happy for countries to spend their money on what they feel gives the best overall return for their people. And don't misunderstand me because I also think spending on space should be ten times what it is, that money does not go into space but creates jobs and technology on the ground first.

My point is solely related to why we are providing aid to a country that is now sufficiently developed to afford it's own space program. Surely that 'donation' would be better served in many other poor countries; is not a space program one of the ultimate 'luxury purchases' by a developed nation? Would we provide 'aid' to the USA, France, Russia or China; of course not.

Happy for countries to spend their money on what they feel gives the best overall return for their people. And don't misunderstand me because I also think spending on space should be ten times what it is, that money does not go into space but creates jobs and technology on the ground first.

My point is solely related to why we are providing aid to a country that is now sufficiently developed to afford it's own space program. Surely that 'donation' would be better served in many other poor countries; is not a space program one of the ultimate 'luxury purchases' by a developed nation? Would we provide 'aid' to the USA, France, Russia or China; of course not.

still doesn't make any sense. do you say the same when a country builds a factory?

it's not a money sink, you get more money out than you put in.

gdp per capita india is still poor, with lots of poverty. Just $1581 per person. which in rank is 42nd from the bottom. in comparison UK is $46,297 and 19th from the top.
I would put money on the only reason we ended it was because of such opinions, rather than economics or welfare.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom