** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
wow that's close together isn't it, don't seem to recall them launching like that.
do souz cargo do the expedited arrival, or is that just the manned missions.

Soldato
So. Anyone have an idea what NASA's big discovery is going to be today at 6pm??

Are we all doomed? Have they found a huge meteor on a collision course? Or just another life supporting exo planet?

Soldato
Things online point to the fact they may have found an exoplanet with oxygen in the atmosphere. How much is the key though, as it could point to vegetation producing it.

Probably wont be that exciting but who knows.

Man of Honour
wtf, did not see this coming. i hope htis happens.

wonder who these individuals our.
http://www.spacex.com/news/2017/02/...rewed-dragon-spacecraft-beyond-moon-next-year
We are excited to announce that SpaceX has been approached to fly two private citizens on a trip around the moon late next year. They have already paid a significant deposit to do a moon mission. Like the Apollo astronauts before them, these individuals will travel into space carrying the hopes and dreams of all humankind, driven by the universal human spirit of exploration. We expect to conduct health and fitness tests, as well as begin initial training later this year. Other flight teams have also expressed strong interest and we expect more to follow. Additional information will be released about the flight teams, contingent upon their approval and confirmation of the health and fitness test results.

Man of Honour
Who here would actually want to be the first to do this?

james cameron has expressed interest before using a souz to go to the moon.
however musk has said
Musk also said that "it's nobody from Hollywood" when asked if the passengers are celebrities.
so that would rule him out.

also heard the google founders names being thrown about

but any names being thrown around are pure speculation.

but they are rich. going to be around 35million each. if im reading it right, says same cost as nasa pays for a suz seat which is somewhere on the 70-80million ballpark. media is suggetsing thats for teh trip rather than each. but that doesnt make finacial sense unless spacex is giving it to them at a massive discount, ~80million each would make far more sense.

seeing as falcon heavy is 90million then however much dragon, spacesuits and training on top.

i hope they pass the medical, then i expect we will find out, as it has to be some ceo or other person who public finding out about ill health would damage their company/job.

even if this does happen, its extremely ambitiouse time scale.
falcon heavy hasn't flown yet, nor has dragon2, and spacex says that the moon mission wont fly till astronauts have flown to the iss onboard dragon 2.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
an interesting bit i hadnt heard

Musk said that NASA would have first pick on the 2018 moon flight, and SpaceX would bump the two space tourists (who have already placed a "significant deposit" for the trip) to a later flight if the space agency wanted the seats. Musk did not reveal who had purchased the moon flight seats on Dragon, or how much the trip cost per person.

"NASA always has first priority," Musk said Monday. "So if NASA decides to have the first mission of this nature be a NASA mission, then of course NASA would take priority."
makes me thin its some kind of political game, as nasa has been asked to see if it could launch astronauts to do a moon flyby on the very first SLS launched, and it all ties in with Apollo 8s 50 year anniversary(dec 21st 1968).

Back
Top Bottom