** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Soldato
Followed him long before he did all this, but the AGC series was absolutely awesome. Very very clever bunch of guys, a very educational watch for sure. I'd happily watch all that again too :)

Yeah, watching the guys fix the seriously broken AGC and then running it in Orbiter was a blast. Even the recovered the Apollo 10 Luminary code worked. Amazing stuff.

Soldato
The spacecraft that took men to the surface of the moon and back relied on computers that pushed the state of the art when they were built. Designed by MIT, the Apollo Guidance Computers came with 72 kilobytes of ROM and 4 kilobytes of RAM. This memory used a form of magnetic core memory, where multiple hair-thin wires passed through tiny ferrite toroids to store 1s and 0s. The work of assembling the AGC memories fell to women at Raytheon who formerly worked with textiles, and once you complete the Core64 kit, you will have a newfound respect for their skills.eave your own Apollo era memory.

I wonder if I should've posted this in the retro computer thread.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/weave-your-own-apollo-era-memory

https://www.core64.io/

Caporegime
I only saw a brief glimpse of this Artemis launch (coming Monday afternoon) on the BBC News site. Is the Orion capsule actually going to the moon? Will we have brand new images of the surface in high resolution? Will we able to watch every kilometre of travel with live video?

Soldato
I only saw a brief glimpse of this Artemis launch (coming Monday afternoon) on the BBC News site. Is the Orion capsule actually going to the moon? Will we have brand new images of the surface in high resolution? Will we able to watch every kilometre of travel with live video?
It is, along with 10 cubesats. The Orion itself is pencilled in to stay in lunar orbit for 6 days before returning to earth.

Associate
Is this the first time the SLS has actually lifted off?
If it does, then yes. The main engines are ex-space shuttle and have flown several times each before, and the boosters are shuttle derived but with more fuel so in theory the system is sound, and they've done a lot of testing over the last few years. I have confidence it'll go, but I also know they won't take any risks if they're unsure about anything. I for one will be watching it with great interest.

Soldato
So this first mission is just a fly around of the moon for the Orion capsule and to test the heatshield on re-entry, another reason for mannequins and sensors. Also weird to ulimately get on the moon they're relying on Elon's Starship to do the moon landing, seems like a waste of resources to send up Orion to have the crew then swap to starship in space to go on the moon, why not just go all the way in Starship ?

Back
Top Bottom