** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Caporegime
How about the moon, NASA and others have been looking at mars for years, they see no issues, well plenty of issues, but nothing unworkable. So I don't see it as a problem. Isn't it also massive em fields that affect humans, rather than low to zero.

Slightest chance is to much? The rocket could explode on takeoff. Pioneers, are not put off by such risks.

Well duh, but the risk of going crazy, its not a quick end at all.

Plus we are talking about years here, not small stays on a moon.

I am not sure if it is actually massive EM fields...there are a lot of studies on this but i cant really be sure here, but it probably still has an effect, if subtle. Like depression, which is already amplified by the small amount of people going, which usually isnt a problem if you see them often or are trained to deal with it, but I doubt it goes away.

Its complex i suppose.

Edit: There's also the aspect of feeling like you are permanently cut off from society because you aren't coming home, no matter what you think, so perhaps a severe home sickness as well?

Last edited:
Soldato
They're pretty logical concerns. Pretty much most of it will be covered, pretty sure I read that the training period for the first 4 people will be 10 years.

Clearly potential candidates will be tested in all aspects before being accepted.

What's to say that they won't be coming home? With enough funding I'm sure it could be arranged, given time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yep a decade of training.

Even before they find their way onto the rocket, each astronaut will be put through the required ten years of training. They will be isolated from the world for a few months every two years in groups of four, by being placed in simulation bases to see how they cope with being secluded and living in close quarters with each other. In addition to the expertise and work experience they must already possess, they also have to learn quite a few new skills. After all, the four of them will be in charge of every aspect of the Mars base: making repairs, cultivating crops, and even addressing medical problems, such as fractures, for example.

It all sounds logical and doable with today's technology, infacct for every component they have expresion of interest from suppliers. The issue will be funding and I can see this going belly up. SpaceX hope it won't as they'll be using a lot of their stuff, from their falcon heavy lister that will test launch at the end of the year, to the newly tested dragon capsule.

Caporegime
They're pretty logical concerns. Pretty much most of it will be covered, pretty sure I read that the training period for the first 4 people will be 10 years.

Clearly potential candidates will be tested in all aspects before being accepted.

What's to say that they won't be coming home? With enough funding I'm sure it could be arranged, given time.

Sure, plus they will probably have video links to their families and such.

Also it basically says on their site that exact thing about a return trip, but it really is for that moment one way, though i am sure that the idea people here will want them having the ability to return comforting.

Man of Honour
Sure, plus they will probably have video links to their families and such.

Also it basically says on their site that exact thing about a return trip, but it really is for that moment one way, though i am sure that the idea people here will want them having the ability to return comforting.

Assuming they get funding, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, as it's not political so they don't have to keep people happy. there will be thousands of people willing to go even knowing its a one way trip.

Caporegime
Assuming they get funding, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, as it's not political so they don't have to keep people happy. there will be thousands of people willing to go even knowing its a one way trip.

They say that it will be heavily publicised, that is how the funding shall work.

But if that is the case and if the settlers do unfortunately take a turn for the worst, we end up watching 4 people dying and we can do zilch about it. Of course that is the risk, but what will that do to future missions? it would become the new Nuclear hatred.

I am in full agreement with the mission, we need to start things today, to make sure our existence is not constrained by one planet, thus not being wiped out because of it.

I am not trying to put a downer on it, I love this area of science and development, hell I want to be one of the settlers frankly.

Man of Honour
By that point they would have the money they need anyway, at that point the mission would just be scrubbed.

Once they get up there and set up, private money will be flowing in for research and projects.

Caporegime
By that point they would have the money they need anyway, at that point the mission would just be scrubbed.

Once they get up there and set up, private money will be flowing in for research and projects.

True, then it would be out of the hands of mere profligates.

Soldato
If you would like to set up a call to discuss completing your reservation immediately please reply to this email and let me know what times you will be available and the best number to get you on and I will give you a call.

I have answered some of the most frequently asked questions below (price, timeline etc.)

:eek: :cool:

C U GUIZ IN SPACE LOL.

Soldato
But if that is the case and if the settlers do unfortunately take a turn for the worst, we end up watching 4 people dying and we can do zilch about it. Of course that is the risk, but what will that do to future missions? it would become the new Nuclear hatred.

I disagree - look at what happened with previous failed space launches and missions. People usually get a sense of pride that people were willing to give up their lives for the advancement of our race :)

Obviously it would be a PR disaster if we saw it live but again, if the team can spec a mission to mars I'm sure the PR side of it will be covered to ensure longevity.

Once it's out of the public eye it'll continue anyway, just like the current space exploration has.

Also, imagine the amount of young engineers, pioneers and explorers that would be inspired by watching such a spectacle.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be one of the first four (guessing it'll be current astronauts or fighter pilots?) but would love to go once the base has grown. Plenty of time to prepare the body and mind (and wallet!).

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Cant wait for Sunday to see yet another Mars touchdown

I remember watching the Pathfinder in 1997 and thinking how awesome that was bouncing in a massive bubble and surviving. Now its all jet pack and non bouncy things! :D

Associate
Just got done updating my sig regarding this very issue. That time taken from MSL team's official tweets.

I've watched the landings live before. If you can arrange it, it's worth following live. The emotion and anticipation in the control room is intense. And it's funny to think that all the anticipation is in reality over something that already happened :)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom