** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Soldato
What exactly is it that makes Curiosity images look so... strange? Is it the atmosphere, special type of camera or something else?

1600x1200 image
2kNxq.jpg

And this one especially, looks like cgi

4esVz.jpg

Soldato
I don't even know how to describe it :p It just looks so un-earthly and i can't work out why (obviously because it is, but what makes it so?!) A lot of the surfaces on the rover are really matte and the ground looks like it's rendered as cgi rather than real.

I think it's just something to do with the light.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Curiosity's Location During First Scooping

696569mainpia16227full1.jpg

This 360-degree scene shows the surroundings of the location where NASA Mars rover Curiosity arrived on the 59th Martian day, or sol, of the rover's mission on Mars (Oct. 5, 2012). It is a mosaic of images taken by Curiosity's Navigation Camera (Navcam) on sols 59 and 60.

Smooth surfaces of the windblown sand and dust of the "Rocknest" area, in the foreground, are what signaled from a distance that this might be an appropriate place to spend about three weeks collecting and using the mission's first few scoopfuls of soil. The rover scooped up its first sample on Sol 61 (Oct. 7, 2012).

South is at the center of this panorama, north at both ends. Mount Sharp is on the horizon in the southeast. The "Glenelg" area planned as the next destination lies to the east. Tracks that Curiosity's wheels made while driving toward Rocknest recede toward the west. For scale, Curiosity leaves parallel tracks about 9 feet (2.7 meters) apart.

The scene is presented here as a cylindrical projection.

Back
Top Bottom