*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Tried -50 but crashes, seem stable at -40.

I got the SD recently and mainly been playing Dave the Diver. Had to run a more demanding game to test the undervolting. Loaded up Titanfall 2 and blown away by how amazing it looks and performs. Still in awe that I'm running a full PC game on a handheld...what a time to be alive.
I’m really pleased with mine , glad I waited but didn’t realise how great the deck is at what it does.

Soldato
Currently running a 256GB LCD model and stuck between getting a 1TB drive or saving a little more and just getting a 512GB OLED model as the cost difference between the two after selling the deck wouldn’t be that much.

Is the OLED really worth it?

Last edited:
Caporegime
It all depends on your handheld vs dock use percentage.

I prefer to use mine docked 99% of the time, so 95% of the improvements I don't get to see (screen), touch (trackpad) or feel (weight, battery life, visual, colours, triggers, pads). So only notable is the faster ram.

Last edited:
Soldato
It all depends on your handheld vs dock use percentage.

I prefer to use mine docked 99% of the time, so 95% of the improvements I don't get to see (screen), touch (trackpad) or feel (weight, battery life, visual, colours, triggers, pads). So only notable is the faster ram.
How do you have yours set up for dock use? Is there any way to tell it to default to 1080p when docked (while realising that I'll have to tweak settings in certain games for it to cope with that)? Or do you just run it at 720p docked?

When I dock mine I spend 15 minutes fiddling with settings.

Caporegime
How do you have yours set up for dock use? Is there any way to tell it to default to 1080p when docked (while realising that I'll have to tweak settings in certain games for it to cope with that)? Or do you just run it at 720p docked?

I have it through my receiver, then into my OLED TV, and then using either my PS4 controller or my 8bitDO or wireless razer mouse / KB to play.

As for resolution....I can't remember, I set it up a while ago. I will check later when I get home whether I was actually playing in 1080p or been 720p all this time lol

Soldato
I have it through my receiver, then into my OLED TV, and then using either my PS4 controller or my 8bitDO or wireless razer mouse / KB to play.

As for resolution....I can't remember, I set it up a while ago. I will check later when I get home whether I was actually playing in 1080p or been 720p all this time lol
Thanks! Yeah I've got the TV connection and controllers all sorted, it works fine when plugged in on that front. It's just having to change res/graphics settings when docked which is a pain

Soldato
When deciding between the new OLED or the old LCD, hmm, decisions, decisions. :o :confused:

Did you get one in the end? I was having this same conundrum last week, then found out there is a new one coming out in 2025/26, so only a year or 2 away, which swayed me towards grabbing a cheap 2nd hand LCD as a good way of gauging how much I'd actually use it, and then upgrade to OLED/Steam Deck 2 in a couple of years if I got good use out of it.

I ended up with a 512GB with the etched/anti-glare glass, and at first I was a bit unsure after reading some reports of washed out colours/glow etc., but either I got lucky, or those reports were massively exaggerated (probably the latter given how much people like to moan on the internet :p). Having used it in person, I have no regrets, the screen is easily vibrant and bright enough to use even in a brightly lit room (obviously given the time of year I haven't tried it outside in the sun), and this is coming from an AW3423DW as my daily use desktop monitor, so not like I'm comparing it to a crappy budget screen!

Sure the OLED is going to be better, and side by side, I'm sure the difference would be noticeable, but it's not like I bought it for cutting edge graphics anyway - that's what my PC is for!

If the choice was between a new 256GB LCD @ £350 or the 512GB OLED @ £480 then I probably would have gone for the OLED (even if just for the bigger storage - upgrading the LCD with a 512GB/1TB NVME is going to take a decent chunk of that £130 "saving" anyway), but given I paid just over half the price (£260) for my 2nd hand one, I don't think the extra £220 would have been worth it in my case.

Soldato
Is the 64GB LCD model not on sale anymore? Best bet is buying a 64Gb LCD, then upgrading to a 2TB SSD for £100.
Is the OLED model refresh rate sorted yet? - can 30fps/60hz be selected or still only 30/75 (or maybe it was 30/90)

It made playing games that were 30fps double buffered unplayable. Too much microstutter

Associate
Is the 64GB LCD model not on sale anymore? Best bet is buying a 64Gb LCD, then upgrading to a 2TB SSD for £100.
Is the OLED model refresh rate sorted yet? - can 30fps/60hz be selected or still only 30/75 (or maybe it was 30/90)

It made playing games that were 30fps double buffered unplayable. Too much microstutter

The 64GB LCD has now been discontinued from Valve and it's out of stock, the lowest capacity LCD is the 256GB one for £349 or £389 for 512GB LCD. Once the 512GB LCD is gone that's the end of that model.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Glad I got the 64gb one before it disappeared. Had a lot of fun with it over the holidays.

Would not know I am running games of a tiny 512gb SD card with all the old and indie games I play on it.

Associate

SteamOS defaults to 1080p on my TV until you load a game. The way to get a game to render at a higher resolution is in its properties where you can set the resolution. It's a bit annoying setting each game's resolution individually but you'd probably end up doing it anyway if they all defaulted to the res of Steam OS.

I think I said in an earlier post, it's pretty amazing which games run at 1080p/60fps. Older games can even run at 4k

Soldato
The 64GB LCD has now been discontinued from Valve and it's out of stock, the lowest capacity LCD is the 256GB one for £349 or £389 for 512GB LCD. Once the 512GB LCD is gone that's the end of that model.

Pretty sure the 512GB is OOS as well, I could only see the 256GB available.

I tried here but people wanted almost brand new prices for some reason and would not budge. Sod that, rather go brand new then which is what I did. Only a couple of months ago too :cry:

Got mine from the MM :) Depends on the seller I guess, but like you say if you're only saving a few ££ then might as well go new for the warranty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Playing Symphony of War on mine, perfect on a Deck. Basically an updated Fire Emblem style game but with a bit more tactical depth in battles. That and the Steam Deck has got me back into Elite Dangerous, it is surprisingly good on the Deck. Combat is tougher with the controls compared to a flight stick, but for casual mining and general pottering it is just about perfect. If anything, it is the wonderment of playing a game as graphically complex like Elite Dangerous on a handheld device which has breathed new life in to the actual game itself. Also, this is the game which has forced me to explore the various different ways of editing a controller layout, given the vast range of controls required in the game, which has stood me in good stead for other games now I can get to grips with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom