*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
I fancied getting a "grip" for my OLED Deck, but then found that the OLED case has less space inside so won't fit the deck in a case.

So I've gone for the Skull & Co. GripCase SD and EDC case bundle, and some stick grips which claim to also fit the OLED sticks. Around £36 delivered for all 3 which doesn't seem too bad!

Hopefully I'll actually start using it more soon, had no time for gaming over Christmas!

Associate
I went straight to -30 on all 3 with no testing (LCD), seems rock solid. Haven't tried to go lower but might give it a shot soon.

Associate
Do you guys find that the docked experience kinda, sucks? i've got the OLED deck and it never just works. I'm always switching HDMI channels on my TV, and pressing the power button like, 5 times before it actually gets a picture.

Once the TV gets the signal, it's all good. But I swear the Steam Deck just hates being connected to an external monitor.

Soldato
Just about to unbox my steam deck.
Best place to start for information such as games and ways to play?
All depends what you want to do / play really.

Personally I would start with just using the Deck in game mode, familiarise yourself with the controls and control layouts and stuff with your Steam library. If a game says its doesnt work, ignore it and try it in Proton experimental. Many games work perfectly fine.
Going into desktop mode was a bit daunting for me but depends on what you want to do there's loads of Youtube vids as the SD is so popular.

Remember it's a full computer so you can do anything you want on it. Linux is nicely locked down by default so you cant really mess things up unless you stick in your sudo password and start deleting things or running konsole commands.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, will see how I get on.
I have a switch but only ever really used it in docked mode when playing games.

Had the odd handeheld use but everytime I take it away I havent really had the chance to use it.

Soldato
Its mind boggling to me that people are paying the same if not more for an OLED steam deck on ebay that is effectively in stock all the time. Are people really that stupid?

I see some sold listings going for as much as 580 for the 512gb version.

Soldato
Its mind boggling to me that people are paying the same if not more for an OLED steam deck on ebay that is effectively in stock all the time. Are people really that stupid?

I see some sold listings going for as much as 580 for the 512gb version.
Thats only £11 more than buying new.
Chances are you will get it faster when buying on eBay.
Import and delivery charges will apply to people in certain countries and the Steam deck just isnt available for sale in some countries.
It'll also be fully covered warranty with with Valve if you buy second hand - I bought my LCD deck from these forums, had a small issue and Valve replaced it with a brand new one.

Soldato
Thats only £11 more than buying new.
Chances are you will get it faster when buying on eBay.
Import and delivery charges will apply to people in certain countries and the Steam deck just isnt available for sale in some countries.
It'll also be fully covered warranty with with Valve if you buy second hand - I bought my LCD deck from these forums, had a small issue and Valve replaced it with a brand new one.

No it was the 512gb oled that sold for 580 not the 1tb version. That's silly to be paying that much for the 512gb version.

I can understand paying less for used for something that's in stock but not more than new prices for in stock items, makes no sense.

Soldato
No it was the 512gb oled that sold for 580 not the 1tb version. That's silly to be paying that much for the 512gb version.

I can understand paying less for used for something that's in stock but not more than new prices for in stock items, makes no sense.
Are right, sorry yes that is daft! I read it as 1TB for £580.

Associate
£570/£580/£590 for some of the completed sales on a 512GB OLED...what on earth are people thinking?
Anyone want to buy a 256GB LCD for £650?

Associate
Why would the Steam deck be any different?
Figured being more powerful would entice me to play better/more games.
Mainly played mario on the switch etc but when I found myself getting into them I just ended up putting it on dock.

Thought the experience may be better with the steam deck.
That and got it at £275 a few months ago.

Associate
Thanks, will see how I get on.
I have a switch but only ever really used it in docked mode when playing games.

Had the odd handeheld use but everytime I take it away I havent really had the chance to use it.
I get you. I've used the deck a decent amount outside my home, mainly over Christmas when we went to visit my parent's. Otherwise I basically just use my Kindle if I'm out of the house. It's easier to carry and I always have a book on the go.
I use the deck almost every day at home though. Quite a revelation for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Figured being more powerful would entice me to play better/more games.
Mainly played mario on the switch etc but when I found myself getting into them I just ended up putting it on dock.

Thought the experience may be better with the steam deck.
That and got it at £275 a few months ago.
Its certainly powerful enough and capable of playing just about anything. Even older games that dont work on Windows! :D

A few examples

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom