***The Official Windows Home Server 2011 Thread***

ok, me again :(

i have the free *.homeserver.com domain thing. when my router restarts (Which seems to be quite often) obvs my ip address changes (internet not local) so should the *.homeserver.com domain automatically change to the new external ip address?

The homeserver.com dns is dynamic so your server should register itself at Microsoft if it detects an IP address change.

I am, but not on all shares. I only care enough about two shares to duplicate them.

My largest share I can't duplicate anyway as its 3TB. And if lost I could in theory rerip all my dvds/blurays. What a fun few months that would be :p.

Hehe, I was the same!

I got to thinking if I ever did lose them all it would be soul destroying to rip them all again, so as I migrated to bigger disks I've set up an old box (still running WHS1 with about 20TB) where I can backup all my rips - it only needs to be on once a month for everything to backup to.

I'm running WHS2011 as a VM with a RAID passed through to it, so can overcome the 2TB limitations for shares - just means the backup won't work on WHS2011 (not that I need it). Even then everything is through My Movies, so it doesn't matter if it's in separate shares - My Movies and the HTPCs just serve up the content.

I'm getting more and more tempted to try an open source option. Not as complete or polished sure, but would be more satisfying for me. I just don't want to upgrade to v2011. Something like ubuntu server which is really easy to use, and just run my XBMC on top of it.

I just can't lash out for 4 or 5 HDDs at the moment with the prices as they are.

If you're familiar with Linux it's an option - I'm not and don't have the appetite for it.

Have a look at Amahi based on Linux though, not as polished as WHS but heading that way. When I looked at it it just wasn't finished and I didn't want to trust my data to Greyhole (the drive pooling technology) as that was still in beta.

Or you can always wait and see if there's going to be a WHS based on Server 8. With the new storage pools it could be a good option.

Oh and totally agree on the hard drive prices, was lucky that I planned and migrated to my new server before the floods, so got lots of 2TB drives for between £48-54...now waiting til 4TB drives are reasonable.

Ahami looks pretty good, its just that step into the unknown. And I know I can trust Microsoft. I'll see how it is virtually.

Not to mention I dont know if I can be bothered to start all over again!

I've asked this before but still getting the problem so will ask again in case anyone knows anew.

Exception occurred: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

Message: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39} failed due to the following error: 80070422.

I get this error message in Eventvwr constantly with the CqvSvc.exe, and its causing real issues on system boot up (I have to log in every time the server is rebooted and cancel the warning message from the Service Control Manager).

Have spent ages trying to find a solution, and a few I've tried haven't done anything.

I've asked this before but still getting the problem so will ask again in case anyone knows anew.

I get this error message in Eventvwr constantly with the CqvSvc.exe, and its causing real issues on system boot up (I have to log in every time the server is rebooted and cancel the warning message from the Service Control Manager).

Have spent ages trying to find a solution, and a few I've tried haven't done anything.

Have you tried uninstalling/installing Windows Search 4.0? That was the fix for me pre-PP3 which I thought cured it.

For info...

If you're getting an alert "Computer monitoring error" on the server every 30 mins (even if you delete/ignore the alert). It usually happens when you remove a client, but retain the backups there's now a manual hotfix from MS (KB2686857).

You need to request the download from MS, but has worked for me after installing on the server and automatically updating the connector on each client.

I have recently setup a microserver with WHS2011 and was wondering if anyone has used StableBit for a storage pool?

I am wanting to use the pool on 2x2TB drives which are almost full with tv episodes and was wondering if i setup the pool would i loose the files on the drive? ... if i setup a test pool on the drives and didn't like and removed stablebit would i loose the files on the drives?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom