The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
This has to be one of the the most moronic tropes that exists today. Just go onto the right wing social media sites like patriot.win and see how they celebrate that its an echo chamber with no opposing views allowed :cry:

It's not a Left/Right issue just a delicate snow flake / normal person issue and delicate snow flakes exist across the whole political spectrum.

This^

Man of Honour
To be honest, it's amazing how many people (plenty in this thread to be honest) know so little around the laws governing speech and believe true "free speech" exists.
But i think you're right, i can see Twitter becoming more of a toxic waste land than it already is and i wouldn't be surprised if Elon dumps it within a few years as it's not exactly a money maker - I did read a tweet earlier saying he's supposedly (no source, no idea if it's true) borrowed $22bn to buy it.

He's worth 10 times that, surely he wouldnt need to borrow 22bn

Permabanned
Elon literately made shareholders an offer they couldn't refuse. So much for the poisoned pill the board were going to implement.

Wonder how many banned accounts will return? Donald Trump, Babylon Bee? I bet a lot of the Twitter staff are panicking right now.

Man of Honour
https://www.npr.org/2022/04/21/1094020022/elon-musk-twitter-money?t=1650978728419

"Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, and several other banks have promised to lend $25.5 billion, backed in part by some of Musk's Tesla shares, according to the filing."

Pretty decent then, he'll make his money back from that easily I would imagine. Hell Blizzard bought Candy Crush for $5bn and and then Microsoft bought Activision Blizzard for a massive $70bn. Twitter seems comparatively cheap compared to those :)

Permabanned
Hopefully Elon will expose shadow ban algorithms, how many it affected and any big names.

Could be really interesting, there's also the option that he might use it for his own benefit. It is literally going to be a private company, so he do whatever he wants. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
https://www.npr.org/2022/04/21/1094020022/elon-musk-twitter-money?t=1650978728419
"Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, and several other banks have promised to lend $25.5 billion, backed in part by some of Musk's Tesla shares, according to the filing."

I wonder what the interest is on a loan that size?

Can some one give me a real world example of something they feel they cannot say on twitter for fear of repercussions? And why they would want to say it.

Other than state secrets, not much. Although if by repercussions you mean being banned from the platform, then a lot is due to repeat offenses such as abuse, misinformation etc etc.

Soldato
This has to be one of the the most moronic tropes that exists today. Just go onto the right wing social media sites like patriot.win and see how they celebrate that its an echo chamber with no opposing views allowed :cry:

It's not a Left/Right issue just a delicate snow flake / normal person issue and delicate snow flakes exist across the whole political spectrum.

Will you be leaving Twitter?

Caporegime
Wonder if this will just be a storm I a teacup and it won't really change.

I don't really care. Furthest I get into twitter is clicking a link to read the full post. Then you hit all sorts of 'sign up for more' at that point I leave.

This is probably more an issue for companies that share on it. If it changes too much or becomes more expensive or distasteful that's where the platform will change.

Commissario
Elon literately made shareholders an offer they couldn't refuse. So much for the poisoned pill the board were going to implement.

Wonder how many banned accounts will return? Donald Trump, Babylon Bee? I bet a lot of the Twitter staff are panicking right now.
If they're panicking, it's probably because they know the issues those accounts caused, both legally and from an advertiser point of view and are trying desperately to work out how Musk is going to reconcile his various stated objectives, some of which are contradictory.

I mean it's easy to say "I'm going to do this, and make the company more profitable" and at the same time "but i'm not going to charge the users for it", it's significantly harder to do if for example your service becomes toxic to the people that are paying you (in the case of Twitter that's advertisers at the moment). Much of the "censorship" on Twitter and Facebook is purely down to what the advertisers want their products associated with, and most of the rest is down to either legal obligations or some vague attempt to avoid it devolving into such a cesspit that your userbase decides "screw this, i'm off". People seem to forget just how many "big name" "social networks" have risen and fallen in just the last 25 years, and why they often failed (removing any attempt at moderation is a great way to drive off vast numbers of people who don't want a monkey poo slinging free for all).

In Trump's case he incited the storming of the Congress building, which led to the deaths of several people, I can't imagine why any company might have a minor issue with that, especially the various huge advertisers who spend billions a year on associating themselves with the "freedom, democracy, apple pie and the American way" sort of image.

Permabanned
He'll kill the platform if he gets too heavily involved.

Stick to rockets lad, at least they're fun to look at.

Watching woke / far left types having meltdowns is pretty fun to look at as well. :D

Which is pretty much the only reason I use Twitter, no point joining any of the alternates, echo chambers aren't much fun if everyone agrees with you, and not particularly healthy either.

I've had a few Twitter accounts, last one was banned for minor disagreements with alphabet people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom