The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Okay. So I'm right then, again. They banned him without him being guilty of anything. Youtube Google and all the social media sites bar X work in conjunction to ban anyone that is deemed persona non grata by the US and UK governments. Major advertisers like Disney and Apple are all in the same club. Yet people complain about Elon Musk, hilarious.

They are private companies and can do what they want. Trump even made his own social media company so I'm not sure why he cares - it didn't cost him $44 billion either, which technically makes him smarter than Elon...

Soldato
Youtube Google and all the social media sites bar X work in conjunction to ban anyone that is deemed persona non grata by the US and UK governments. Major advertisers like Disney and Apple are all in the same club.

This is genuinely concerning medical grade paranoia, I hope somebody in his social circle gets Roar the help he needs.

I've had a friend who slowly lost it over time and he sounded just like this and ended up disappearing into his own paranoid rabbit hole.

Basic facts show he wasn't banned from all social media at the time and currently has been reinstated by some and still banned with others. Oh and twitter did ban Trump at the same time as other social media sites due to the Jan 6th insurrection and reinstated him (when now X) at the same times the other social media sites did, 2 yrs later.

Soldato
This is genuinely concerning medical grade paranoia, I hope somebody in his social circle gets Roar the help he needs.

Basic facts show he wasn't banned from all social media at the time and currently has been reinstated by some and still banned with others. Oh and twitter did ban Trump at the same time as other social media sites due to the Jan 6th insurrection and reinstated him (when now X) at the same times the other social media sites did, 2 yrs later.

Yeah one of my oldest mates has completely disappeared down conspiracy rabbit hole. Its got nothing to do with intelligence, he's got a high IQ, was a commercial helicopter captain until he had to retire due to an eye sight issue. Some people are just more susceptible to this nonsense.

Soldato
This is genuinely concerning medical grade paranoia, I hope somebody in his social circle gets the help he needs.

I've had a friend who slowly lost it over time and he sounded just like this and ended up disappearing into his own paranoid rabbit hole.

Unfortunately social media and the interwebs is full of people who would have been locked up in asylums, hospitals and institutes in previous decades, but we in the West got rid of those and now we let the crazy people roam the streets, congregate in groups and talk trash online

And now we are supposed to be in the Age of Enlightenment and knowledge due to how easy it is to learn and spread knowledge online, but instead in western countries we've seen declining IQs and mass outbreaks of conspiracy peddlers and believers - for example in 2024 more people believe the Earth is flat than in 1950

Last edited:
Caporegime
His transformation from being a bit cringe at worst to being a full on thunder**** has been remarkable.

What I find remarkable is that he's become a very public example of someone being totally poisoned by all the absurd right wing propaganda on Twitter. You can tell from all his posts that he's completely fallen down the rabbit hole and likely spends most of his day reading all the nonsense on his own platform, most of which is likely posted by bots/the russian propaganda machine.

Many such cases!

Soldato
...but instead in western countries we've seen declining IQs...
Speak for yourself, or maybe learn what a normal distribution is. :cry:
for example in 2024 more people believe the Earth is flat than in 1950
And that has nothing to do with the fact that modern flat Earth beliefs only became a thing in the 1950's with the forming of the Flat Earth Society...
What would become the modern flat Earth concept emerged modestly in the 1950s as the Flat Earth Society, a small fringe group in Britain with a membership of fewer than 4,000 people. However, largely due to the rising influence of the Internet and social media in the early 2000s, the organization launched itself worldwide in October 2009, and annual conferences followed and catered to a variety of worldviews.
(Source)

It is absolutely amazing that we have a user on here that says Facebook is trying to stop trump from being president, because they banned trump 2 months after he had lost the election, and then allowed him back, more than 2 years before the next election. It is nuts.

And then apple and Disney are in on it too, and why, where did this come from, oh yeah, but they refuse to advertise on poor Elon's twitter.

Caporegime
They banned him without him being guilty of anything.

I don't think you understand how terms of service work. Facebook didn't need him to be 'guilty of anything', and as a private company, it's allowed to make up its own rules. Also, Facebook gave a very long and detailed explantion for their decision, which you clearly haven't read. So here's a salient excerpt:

Two years ago, we took action in what were extreme and highly unusual circumstances.

We indefinitely suspended then-US President Donald Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts following his praise for people engaged in violence at the Capitol on January 6, 2021.

We then referred that decision to the Oversight Board — an expert body established to be an independent check and balance on our decision-making. The Board upheld the decision but criticized the open-ended nature of the suspension and the lack of clear criteria for when and whether suspended accounts will be restored, directing us to review the matter to determine a more proportionate response.

In response to the Board, we imposed a time-bound suspension of two years from the date of the original suspension on January 7, 2021 — an unprecedented length of time for such a suspension.

We also clarified the circumstances in which accounts of public figures could be restricted during times of civil unrest and ongoing violence, and introduced a new Crisis Policy Protocol to guide our assessment of on and off-platform risks of imminent harm so we can respond with specific policy and product actions. In our response to the Oversight Board, we also said that before making any decision on whether or not to lift Mr. Trump’s suspension, we would assess whether the risk to public safety has receded.

The suspension was an extraordinary decision taken in extraordinary circumstances. The normal state of affairs is that the public should be able to hear from a former President of the United States, and a declared candidate for that office again, on our platforms.

Now that the time period of the suspension has elapsed, the question is not whether we choose to reinstate Mr. Trump’s accounts, but whether there remain such extraordinary circumstances that extending the suspension beyond the original two-year period is justified.

To assess whether the serious risk to public safety that existed in January 2021 has sufficiently receded, we have evaluated the current environment according to our Crisis Policy Protocol, which included looking at the conduct of the US 2022 midterm elections, and expert assessments on the current security environment.

Our determination is that the risk has sufficiently receded, and that we should therefore adhere to the two-year timeline we set out. As such, we will be reinstating Mr. Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts in the coming weeks. However, we are doing so with new guardrails in place to deter repeat offenses.

Like any other Facebook or Instagram user, Mr. Trump is subject to our Community Standards. In light of his violations, he now also faces heightened penalties for repeat offenses — penalties which will apply to other public figures whose accounts are reinstated from suspensions related to civil unrest under our updated protocol.

In the event that Mr. Trump posts further violating content, the content will be removed and he will be suspended for between one month and two years, depending on the severity of the violation.

(Source).

Facebook's decisions regarding Trump have been utterly consistent with its principles, its protocols, and its internal review system.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately social media and the interwebs is full of people who would have been locked up in asylums, hospitals and institutes in previous decades, but we in the West got rid of those and now we let the crazy people roam the streets, congregate in groups and talk trash online

And now we are supposed to be in the Age of Enlightenment and knowledge due to how easy it is to learn and spread knowledge online, but instead in western countries we've seen declining IQs and mass outbreaks of conspiracy peddlers and believers - for example in 2024 more people believe the Earth is flat than in 1950

I'm with you on your first paragraph, well, partly. The UK has performed badly on supporting people with serious mental health issues. Those people have been, in many cases, left on their own. People without strong family or friendship links and/ or financial resources have been cast adrift in many cases.

On the second, I don't think someone's tendency to believe in conspiracy theories is necessarily dependent on intelligence. We probably all know someone who has surprisingly gone down the conspiracy road, despite them being of average (and two thirds of us are) intelligence.

There are a few people posting here who are not stupid, but are treated as if they are. It's sometimes frustrating to hear those views, but people could be a bit less aggressive in their responses.

@Sankari post immediately above mine is a good example of an evidence-based response. We could probably do with more of that and less "omg u r a mentalist"

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah one of my oldest mates has completely disappeared down conspiracy rabbit hole. Its got nothing to do with intelligence, he's got a high IQ, was a commercial helicopter captain until he had to retire due to an eye sight issue. Some people are just more susceptible to this nonsense.

There's an alarming amount of people who have stories like that these days, including myself. My pal completely disappeared off the map because he was so maddeningly paranoid. Became a genuine incel type, despised women and relished any excuse to go off on some bizarre tangent about how the world was being destabilized by a subculture of powerful women working behind the scenes. Never much liked his ravings but it came to a head one evening when we where out with a bunch of friends, he'd had a few drinks and started shouting disgusting slurs at the mixed race barmaid. Cut ties with him some 10 years ago now as a result of that.

I miss the guy he was a lot and think about him often. It's a damn slippery slope down that rabbit hole once you start poking about inside it seems.

Caporegime
There's an alarming amount of people who have stories like that these days, including myself. My pal completely disappeared off the map because he was so maddeningly paranoid. Became a genuine incel type, despised women and relished any excuse to go off on some bizarre tangent about how the world was being destabilized by a subculture of powerful women working behind the scenes. Never much liked his ravings but it came to a head one evening when we where out with a bunch of friends, he'd had a few drinks and started shouting disgusting slurs at the mixed race barmaid. Cut ties with him some 10 years ago now as a result of that.

I miss the guy he was a lot and think about him often. It's a damn slippery slope down that rabbit hole once you start poking about inside it seems.
My Uncle is like that. He retired and went down the conspiracy rabbit hole.

Just rants conspiracy theories on Facebook all day, but nobody really comments or likes anything he says

Last edited:
Soldato

We've seen numerous people hit by simultaneous bans from all tech platforms. You're choosing personal attacks rather than just debating, probably heart broken that I put you on ignore so absolutely desperate for attention. I still remember laughing at your signature about 7 years ago, an adult male calling himself a "furry freak bro". Embarassing.

Last edited:
You're choosing personal attacks rather than

. I still remember laughing at your signature about 7 years ago, an adult male calling himself a "furry freak bro". Embarassing

LOL!!!

heart broken that I put you on ignore so absolutely desperate for attention

Tell me the post upset you without telling me the post upset you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom