• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1070 Owners Thread

Associate
That's great news thanks gona bite the bullet when I get home. Been waiting months and was swaying towards the rx480 but think would regret it in the long run. Hope a couple of beers gives me the courage.

The GTX1070 is a good card. The most I`ve ever spent on a graphics card, but it's by far the best one I`ve bought. I`ve mostly owned AMD cards, and was hoping for more performance in response to Nvidia's new cards. The RX480 just isn't powerful enough to run games @1440p with high settings and decent frame rates. The 1070 can, so I was happy to spend the extra.

Associate
Made my mind up between the EVGA 1070 FTW and the MSI Gaming X, I'm going with MSI.

The Evga's have a weird thing going on with the fans like there twitching when idling, Lots of coil whine on these models apparently

The MSI will suit my build better anyways.

Associate
Friend has offered me 100 to buy my R9290...Should I get the 1070?

Having seen that my card recently went for £125 on Ebay, I agreed to sell it to me mate for £100 (mates rates) when I'm ready to upgrade.

Do you guys think it's worthwhile? It'd cost me around £270 difference to get a 1070. How big is the performance boost?

Man of Honour
Wanting to go for the Palit jetstream/superjetstream 1070 which will be a stretch for my budget as it is. The issue is I my power supply only has 2x6pin power connectors. Is an adapter a viable option as could do without buying a new psu. Current psu is a G7 power extreme 780 if that helps.

Your psu is a massively overpriced heap of junk and I would advise you replace it sooner rather than later. I have seen threads on forums where these have killed gpu's. Any so called 780w psu that only has 2x 6 pin pci-e leads isn't up to much. The label says it has 4x 18A 12v rails alledgedly giving a maximum combined power of 600w. Yet another sign it's a poor quality unit. In reality I doubt that it would get anywhere near that before failing.

Associate
After a week of drama and a lost package from DPD, and awesome customer support from OCUK to send another my new 1440 Dell monitor and Gainward GTX 1070 will be here in about 2 hours. Today will be a good day. I need to fit the thing onto my Gigabyte Z87-D3HP MoBo as its slightly fatter than my R9 280X thats being replaced. Likely have to move the PCI-E 1 sound card down to the lower x16 slot, I imagine it will still work?

Last edited:
Associate
Ordered at 15:40 and then shipped at 16:40 - How's that for service!

I went for the bog standard Zotac AMP Edition as the Extreme looks far too large! I'm coming from a MSI 970 (really fancied the MSI 1070 but couldnt justify the extra £40) so should be a nice jump in performance :)

Bring on Sunday (DPD delivery man dependant)!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've had my Zotac 1070 amp (2 fan version) running for a couple of weeks now. MASSIVELY faster than my old 280x (as it should be for the cost difference). No issues apart from user error during initial installation, when I'd failed to push home quite hard enough one of the power connectors on the card. Otherwise, spot on.

Soldato
Hopefully mine is arriving tomorrow (Asus Strix (non-OC)). Only got the Asus as I saw a good deal on it, and did some research on the cooler etc. Good deal, was hard to pass up. Previously I was looking at getting either a 480 or 1060, but with the zero stock of the models I wanted in those cards, I saw this for around 80 dollars more and jumped on it lol.

Hopefully Pics tomorrow to be added to the board.

Soldato
nice.

A few flashed the zotac amp extreme on palit cards and they came aliiiiive. No TDP limit holding them back.

Someone also has a modded asus bios that has no TDP limit at all and 1.2v voltage, clocked to 2.3ghz.

Deleted member 2277

D

Deleted member 2277

nice.

A few flashed the zotac amp extreme on palit cards and they came aliiiiive. No TDP limit holding them back.

Someone also has a modded asus bios that has no TDP limit at all and 1.2v voltage, clocked to 2.3ghz.

Links?

Associate
I've plumped for the Inno3D iChill X3 GTX 1070 , there don't seem to be many reviews about and this one wasn't on any list when I was looking. Google translate seems to do a less than stellar job of Romanian but there are teardown pictures which I didn't find elsewhere and then pretty graphs benching it against other custom 1070s.
Roll on 4pm and DPD...

Last edited:
Associate
*sigh* couldn't get the damn card to detect on Windows 10 and it turns out there were 2 issues:

1. The gtx1070 won't detect on Windows 10 pro unless you're upgraded to windows 10 1511 (can't install drivers or anything)
2. My Windows update had been stuck on downloading 97% of the 1511 update for quite a while so hadn't updated

Ran a few commands to poke windows update, restarted the download, completed, installed and all of a sudden the bleedin' 1070 worked. Cmon nerdy sesh!

Soldato
*sigh* couldn't get the damn card to detect on Windows 10 and it turns out there were 2 issues:

1. The gtx1070 won't detect on Windows 10 pro unless you're upgraded to windows 10 1511 (can't install drivers or anything)
2. My Windows update had been stuck on downloading 97% of the 1511 update for quite a while so hadn't updated

Ran a few commands to poke windows update, restarted the download, completed, installed and all of a sudden the bleedin' 1070 worked. Cmon nerdy sesh!

How did you discover the problem was this?

Soldato

Had the same problem. It was so annoying, I had to do a rebuild because the update installed but messed up somehow. I thought my card was broken because I had to use the DVI connection as the display port wouldn't work even on bootup. When I rebuilt windows, everything worked perfectly. Reall odd.

Soldato

You must have had something peculiar to your system as my GTX 1070 was detected and installed etc perfectly fine. This was prior to the 1511 update.

Soldato
You must have had something peculiar to your system as my GTX 1070 was detected and installed etc perfectly fine. This was prior to the 1511 update.

Have you windows 10 home or pro? It might be because of that, only reading about people with the PRO version having trouble. Because, it's not just him, there was a thread on it here, I had the same problem and if you google 1070 windows 10 install problems, there are a lot of people with the same issue.

Soldato
Have you windows 10 home or pro? It might be because of that, only reading about people with the PRO version having trouble. Because, it's not just him, there was a thread on it here, I had the same problem and if you google 1070 windows 10 install problems, there are a lot of people with the same issue.

Did not realise that, as I had zero issues.

I have the Pro version of Windows 10 x64.

I had a 980GTX installed so I removed that - left the drivers as they were. Installed the card and it was picked up right away and the Geforce drivers recognised it for what it was. I then installed the Gigabyte Extreme software (to switch off the fans when not needed) and to test for overclocking.
Since then the GPU drivers did update and the 1511 Windows update has been applied.

The problem might be influenced by the version of drivers previously installed to fitting the card, or something like that. I had the latest revision of drivers installed, before a later set were released - 369.09.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom