• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Ti Owners Thread

Associate
Is the aorus extreme any good? Trying to find a replacement for my Zotac amp extreme core which seems to be borked.

It's fine. I had both the aorus extreme and msi gaming versions for a couple of days. I kept the msi, but they both performed identically in terms of temps and clocks in my setup. The Aorus was perhaps a tiny bit louder, but it was close enough to make me not certain of that. For me it came down to price, I was able to get the msi for £70 less. The Aorus is a little brash in design and certainly looks chunkier and with glowing parts all over it. It's not my thing, but maybe for others...

Soldato
If I bought a 1080ti FE would it be OK paired with a 1700 and a 1440p 144hz monitor?

Whats the FE's like for noise levels and heat?

I've asked this before but I'll ask again (I forgot :p) my case is average for cooling and I have an old but still dependable 850 watt PSU.

All good?

---

My PC is about a foot away from me. Will the noise from GPU drive me crazy?

Last edited:
Soldato
FEs are bottom tier for noise and heat levels, it's not a good cooling solution at all. It's always worth paying extra for a 1080ti with a better cooling solution.

Associate
If I bought a 1080ti FE would it be OK paired with a 1700 and a 1440p 144hz monitor?

Whats the FE's like for noise levels and heat?

I've asked this before but I'll ask again (I forgot :p) my case is average for cooling and I have an old but still dependable 850 watt PSU.

All good?

---

My PC is about a foot away from me. Will the noise from GPU drive me crazy?

Running a R7 1700 @ 3.8 paired with a MSI 1080Ti GX on a 144hz 1440p. Works a treat and very quiet.

Caporegime
I'm revering to the FE in particular. Would the noise drive me insane?

I've not used one but going by past comments that I've seen on here, it would seem that some find the FE cards a little noisy once they've been gaming for a while. I suppose it depends on how sensitive to noise you are, to begin with.

If I recall correctly, don't you game in a hot room/attic? Are you still running the GTX970?

----------

That Kudan 1080Ti pictured above looks rather nice. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not used one but going by past comments that I've seen on here, it would seem that some find the FE cards a little noisy once they've been gaming for a while. I suppose it depends on how sensitive to noise you are, to begin with.

If I recall correctly, don't you game in a hot room/attic? Are you still running the GTX970?

----------

That Kudan 1080Ti pictured above looks rather nice. :)

You would be correct mate. Still have the 970 and do game in an attic. It's OK during autumn and winter but warm spring days and summer I hardly use the gaming PC.

Soldato
I'm revering to the FE in particular. Would the noise drive me insane?

Noise wise the FE is actually not bad at stock, in fact under load, noise is comparable or 2-3 DB out from the various aftermarket cooler's. Now its not bad because the fan only run's at 50% RPM which in turn limits the Boost clock speed, though it does stay above box specs fine. Its when you try to get boost clock speeds comparable to what aftermarket cards achieve out the box which necessitate cranking up the fan's to things get loud.

If you can splash out a bit more money for aftermarket, then go that way for a notch quieter noise levels and higher boost clock speeds, but no the FE at stock will not drive you insane.

Caporegime
Noise wise the FE is actually not bad at stock, in fact under load, noise is comparable or 2-3 DB out from the various aftermarket cooler's. Now its not bad because the fan only run's at 50% RPM which in turn limits the Boost clock speed, though it does stay above box specs fine. Its when you try to get boost clock speeds comparable to what aftermarket cards achieve out the box which necessitate cranking up the fan's to things get loud.

If you can splash out a bit more money for aftermarket, then go that way for a notch quieter noise levels and higher boost clock speeds, but no the FE at stock will not drive you insane.

To be honest the icx cooler on my EVGA black edition isn't THAT quiet. However, at stock without fiddling it does keep it ~70 degrees even at full load/power.

Soldato
See I'm tempted by the £560 1080ti in the members market. Looking at new 1080's they are already £500 so it's attractive... even if it is 3rd hand and an FE.

BUT....... I think I have to wait for Vega to come out before I do anything. I'm hoping the current 10 series reduce in price. Plus I'm way more comfortable buying Nvidia and Gsync rather than AMD and FreeSync.

I'd rather bet on Nvidia for the foreseeable future (tied in due to monitor) than AMD. So I'm hoping for cheaper 1080's when Vega launches.

Only if Vega is something special will will it be a contender for my £££.

I did by a Ryzen which I felt was a no brainer upgrade from my 3570k, but Vega?

:confused:

Soldato
See I'm tempted by the £560 1080ti in the members market. Looking at new 1080's they are already £500 so it's attractive... even if it is 3rd hand and an FE.

BUT....... I think I have to wait for Vega to come out before I do anything. I'm hoping the current 10 series reduce in price. Plus I'm way more comfortable buying Nvidia and Gsync rather than AMD and FreeSync.

I'd rather bet on Nvidia for the foreseeable future (tied in due to monitor) than AMD. So I'm hoping for cheaper 1080's when Vega launches.

Only if Vega is something special will will it be a contender for my £££.

I did by a Ryzen which I felt was a no brainer upgrade from my 3570k, but Vega?

:confused:

A 1080Ti, even in FE at stock will kill the best overclocking GTX 1080's running at max overclock.

For reference on noise, 3D guru produce some noise charts with the FE 1080Ti and various popular aftermarket cards for what its worth.

Strix: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_rog_strix_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_review,10.html

Aorus: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_aorus_gtx_1080_ti_xtreme_gaming_review,11.html

Gaming X: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_gtx_1080_ti_gaming_x_review,10.html

The aftermarket at low clock's do have benefit of turning fan's off entirely, but under load, talking a few DB. Just does mean however you will be limited in being able to OC without ramping the fan up on FE without things getting loud!

Soldato
A 1080Ti, even in FE at stock will kill the best overclocking GTX 1080's running at max overclock.

For reference on noise, 3D guru produce some noise charts with the FE 1080Ti and various popular aftermarket cards for what its worth.

Strix: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_rog_strix_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_review,10.html

Aorus: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_aorus_gtx_1080_ti_xtreme_gaming_review,11.html

Gaming X: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_gtx_1080_ti_gaming_x_review,10.html

The aftermarket at low clock's do have benefit of turning fan's off entirely, but under load, talking a few DB. Just does mean however you will be limited in being able to OC without ramping the fan up on FE without things getting loud!

I probably wouldn't oc it. So you think the FE are acceptable noise wise?

Soldato
I probably wouldn't oc it. So you think the FE are acceptable noise wise?

Yes at stock they are fine. As mentioned they will top out at 50% fan profile which is not at all that loud. It just mean's the card is sitting at 83 degrees constantly and boost clock is usually is lower then aftermarket (but higher then the speeds quoted on the box).

As long as your content with not holding the very high clock's aftermarket can do while having a quiet fan profile, you will be fine.

Soldato
which GTX 1080ti models should I be looking at when shopping?

I rarely OC any of my devices anymore with my failed 4670k overclock (stability issues).

I have a 4670k no OC, 8GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Z87 mobo.. do i need to upgrade before I smash in a 1080ti?

I'm hoping to play old games in 4k 60fps (basically from dark souls 1 all the way to dark souls 3).

Back
Top Bottom