• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Pascal GTX 1080 Ti Owners Thread

Soldato
Rma'd my third Ti this weekend for coil whine. I refuse to accept it is not a fault after paying £800!

I have had various GPU's and I will have to say that coil whine is pretty much normal, you will get it under some circumstances eg. very high FPS, and your card most likely will buzz during use etc. Also monitors or TV's are likely to have coil whine, it just happens, you can spend your life returning hardware due to coil whine or just accept that it happens. Some are ridiculously loud and should be returned, but expecting it to be silent is just going to be a lot of hassle for you (and the end result will be a card which still has coil whine).

Soldato
That's the chokes. Coil-whine is widely misunderstood.

Well you get the buzzing noise (the chokes?) when under load and then you can get a high pitched whine when at for example 500fps on a menu, I think both of these noises are normal, after having various GPU's all the same, maybe 10-20% louder or quieter depending on card etc.

Soldato
But if anyone on the entire planet has a completely silent card that makes no noise at any time, I would be willing to eat my hat.

Soldato
But if anyone on the entire planet has a completely silent card that makes no noise at any time, I would be willing to eat my hat.

Let me get my vacuum chamber out :D:p:cool:

tenor.gif

Soldato
U wat m8?

60FPS in Captain Comic and Jason Jupiter Star Cadet here!

I just googled Jason Jupiter Star Cadet, that grey thing on the left looks very erm... phallic, But ok that card does not have coil whine then, but any modern GPU does have it from my experience.

JasonJupiterStarCadet_1020.gif

Soldato
I was thinking about getting 2 of these and watercooling them as EK makes blocks for them, I was wondering how you've got on with it as there are some great deals on these at the moment

Cheers

Chris

I sent mine back as i was losing display/black screening and returned it for a refund.

It was tested on return and ran fine for them so i'm not sure what was wrong.

I'm back on my FTW3 with block but i would go for one if i was putting a block on it since the price is pretty good.

Soldato
Now this card is no longer showing at all in device manager or bios, i think it's motherboard related.

The cable works fine using the cpu gfx through the motherboard DP connection.

I've tried on both slots and it is not seen at all.

I've ordered another motherboard due tomorrow but might not get here due to the snow i think.

Soldato
What is MSI warranty like in UK? Out of the 1080Ti, the MSI looks probably the best / quietest, the EVGA FTW3 also looks good but its dual slot design and slightly louder than MSI, but EVGA warranty I know is good in UK, what about MSI, if something went wrong with card, how long would it take etc?

Soldato
I would strongly advise trying another cable.

It's possible that it's leaking DC into the board, some have been known to do this.

It doesn't work with HDMI either, it's not showing in the bios or device manager.

If it was the cable the card should still show up there when using IGFX on the cpu.

Back
Top Bottom