The Perfect Yorkshire Pudding recipe (Help needed)

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I need some help, I cant seam to make a Yorkshire Pudding any more, I dont know if its the oven, oven settings (I use to have a gas oven) or something else but all my attempts come out flat,

The only other thing could be doing wrong is putting using too little oil.

I've tried a few different recipe a number of tried I forgotten which one use to work for me,

Ingredients

Vegetable oil
2 large free-range
100 g plain Flour
100 ml milk
at 225c

• 4 eggs (large, measured into a jug)
  • 1 cup milk (equal quantity of milk to your measured eggs)
  • 1 cup flour (equal quantity of all purpose/plain flour to measured eggs)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 tbsp lard (or beef dripping or vegetable oil)
  • 230°C

3. Mary Berrys
Ingredients

Soldato
4oz plain flour, 2 large or 3 small eggs, salt and pepper, milk to get the creamy texture. Let it stand at room temp for at least an hour after whisking but before cooking.

Use whatever fat you want (except olive oil), not too much, and get it smoking hot. Add batter in with tins sat on a hob set to full.

Soldato
I dont know if its the oven, oven settings (I use to have a gas oven)

Once you have put filled tins in don't open the oven otherwise they sink;
If you have tins with a high heat capacity eg ceramic/enamelled-iron these work best.
A gas oven may not be as good as a fan oven, since the the heat will not be as evenly distributed, and I suspect gas will take longer to get back to temp after putting them in.

Associate
Going to sound like a broken record but the Serious Eats article is pretty awesome. It goes into the differences between recipes and why you should go for a particular variation based on what you want for the final outcome: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/12/the-best-yorkshire-pudding-popover-recipe.html

Cheers for that FrenchTart!

I'm an ok cook but always shied away from proper yorkshire puds because of the conflicting info. After reading this, they're now on the menu!

Don
Going to sound like a broken record but the Serious Eats article is pretty awesome. It goes into the differences between recipes and why you should go for a particular variation based on what you want for the final outcome: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/12/the-best-yorkshire-pudding-popover-recipe.html

Great article, thanks FT.

I have always had great results with the James Martin recipe mentioned in that article.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1581636/james-martins-yorkshire-puds

Soldato
2 eggs 5 big spoonfuls of self raising flour but of salt a bit of milk and touch of water. Mix and chill in fridge for a bit. Preheat oven to gm8 with a good amount of lard like a stock cube size per tin hole. Make sure oil piping hot before pouring mix in. So least 10 mins in oven first.

Then wait about 20 mins.

Should be lovely then.

Associate
Great article, thanks FT.

I have always had great results with the James Martin recipe mentioned in that article.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1581636/james-martins-yorkshire-puds

I have always used this one as well. The chilling in the fridge is important. Don't skip it.
If you continue to have problems, check the seal on the oven.
My Mum struggled recently with yorkies, and her yorkies were always great.
I replaced the door seal on her oven, and things are back to normal.

As others have said, DO NOT open the door during cooking.

Soldato
Another aspect is economy, you can make Yorkshires with 100g flour and 2 eggs - yes make it with 6 or 8 and they will blow up more, but you probably increased the price of the meal by >£1. (free range off my local farm 1.10 1/2 doz, but better employed in an omelette or scrambled)

Usually use brown flour too - more bite

Cold Yorkshires, next day, with butter and Jam are good.

Caporegime
The brand of flour makes a huge difference in these kinds of things. Don;t remember the Brands available in the UKbut my mum would have a certain flour for yorkshire puds, other flours for baking, and so on. Some of the cheap flour just doesn't work well for Yorkshire puddings.

Associate
The recipe I use is simple volume ratios so doesn’t matter what size your eggs are and it’s easy to scale. Nice and easy 1:1:1 volume ratio. Little oil in batter. Season. Rest it. Get the right Yorkshire pudding tray (this took me quite some time to find) they need to be reasonable depth, nothing too thin and flimsy as you want to get them hot with your fat. Don’t try small Yorkshire in a poxy jam tart tray it just doesn’t work well. Dripping great for flavour but veg oil is ok

Soldato
Don't get deep tins they should be shallow otherwise u get weird muffin shaped ones lol. The shallow ones are suppose to be best as they allow for a bigger hole and rises up but sideways too (for the larger hole).

Back
Top Bottom