** The pfSense Users Thread **

Soldato
The question everyone who knows Netgate’s history when it disagrees with a developer’s actions is ‘How long before they register a Wg related domain and develop a hate site and do we get a new video?’

...too soon?

:D

Anything to make a contretemps a massive issue. I hope not though, because Jason's a really decent guy and a pleasure to work with. Talk about showing your true colours though (again).

Soldato
Just commenting in to say fellow user here, I run pfsense virtualised on Proxmox, with a pair of network cards (one of which is 10gig) on hardware pass through.

I've bonded a few of these ports together and created a budget homemade 10gig switch within my server.

Very pleased with the results!
From what i read pfsense cant nat higher than 2-3gbit speeds. Is it doing the full 10gig nat for you?

Soldato
From what i read pfsense cant nat higher than 2-3gbit speeds. Is it doing the full 10gig nat for you?

I’ve seen it pull 8-9Gbit speedtest results on a shared 10Gbit pipe. Speaking of pipes, probably want to tell whoever gave you that number to lay off whatever they are smoking.

Soldato
I’ve seen it pull 8-9Gbit speedtest results on a shared 10Gbit pipe. Speaking of pipes, probably want to tell whoever gave you that number to lay off whatever they are smoking.
i got that info from the netgate forums. users saying it maxes out around 3gbit and then get issues like packet loss etc.
good though if it can handle such speeds. do people actually use pfsense in a commercial environment? all places i been to use stuff like dell sonicwall or cisco hardware.

Soldato

While I can't speak for Cyber-Mav, ironically I suspect it may have come from Jim at NG himself (avoiding the full name because of how highly OcUK ranks in search). I noticed the last year or so he's been active on Reddit dropping into threads telling people pf* can't do multi-gigabit and that FreeBSD can't network to 10Gb, which is why he's adapting TNSR because of how fast it is. Coincidentally, he has a new closed source paid product using TNSR you can buy, if you want to NAT and route 10Gb+.... So yeah, ironically I think it was Jim's own FUD to push product. Meanwhile in real life, FreeBSD is pushing 100 Gbps video down pipes for Netflix and Linux is routing more than that across datacentres.

Edit:

i got that info from the netgate forums.

And there we go. With what we've seen about pfSense's code quality, that may even be true. Underlying FreeBSD doesn't seem to have such limitations though? It'd be interesting to test.

Soldato
While I can't speak for Cyber-Mav, ironically I suspect it may have come from Jim at NG himself (avoiding the full name because of how highly OcUK ranks in search).

Oh believe me, I feel your pain on that one. Like you, I frequent various other forums (still find the random APU2 conversation pretty funny), sometimes with different user names and titles, I don’t think I will ever forget the first time someone unknowingly referenced me here while trying to advance a point on another forum without realising they were quoting me to me. It was out of context, but that single event brought into focus how search rankings can be problematic here.

Soldato
Oh believe me, I feel your pain on that one. Like you, I frequent various other forums (still find the random APU2 conversation pretty funny), sometimes with different user names and titles, I don’t think I will ever forget the first time someone unknowingly referenced me here while trying to advance a point on another forum without realising they were quoting me to me. It was out of context, but that single event brought into focus how search rankings can be problematic here.

:D

Don
good though if it can handle such speeds. do people actually use pfsense in a commercial environment?

We use it at work. Can't say for sure what the maximum throughput we get, but have routinely achieved > gigabit speeds with cheap hardware (HP DL360G7, Dual Xeon E5620, Intel-based 10Gb Cards HP560SFP+)

Currently at 428 Days uptime (still running 2.4.4-RELEASE-p3), handling 2x PPPOE FTTC Connections, a 20MBps MPLS connection, and routing between 2 subnets (Main Lan range, and our MPLS range)

Soldato
With that CPU you'll be fine unto gigabit for NAT/VPN, RAM is relatively cheap (it'll run single stick) and small SSD's are for nothing now.

Yeah I grabbed an 8GB SODIMM and a 250GB 870 EVO for around £70 the pair. The SSD is way too large really but no point getting anything smaller these days.

Ironically I can't actually use it yet as it only has an HDMI output and none of my spare monitors have one, only DVI and I don't have an HDMI-DVI cable or adapter so I've had to order one of those. There's always one critical component you miss.

Soldato
The last time I learned that lesson I chose to order a stockpile of cables to make sure it never happened again. Then the Pi4 caught me out :D

Soldato
Well it would be if it wasn't dead as a doornail :(

No video output whatsoever. Unless I'm missing something obvious, it looks completely DOA.

No beeps/fan? I mean if you had purchased DDR3 rather than DDR3L for example I would have at least expected a beep code error :(

Soldato
No beeps/fan? I mean if you had purchased DDR3 rather than DDR3L for example I would have at least expected a beep code error :(

As per my quick edit, was a duff memory stick. I'm waiting for the 8GB one I've ordered but found a couple of 4GB DDR3L sticks - turns out one of them is duff.

Caporegime
Can you not redirect the console on those Qotom devices via the serial port if you don't have an HDMI display? Though I guess that also relies on having a serial port.

Back
Top Bottom