The Police Application Thread

Associate
I'm a serving officer with the Met. Been doing the job proper for all of 6 weeks now (incl. coached patrol). Loving it so far, definitely not your 9-5 and you never know what's going to happen each shift.

Don
Thats a bit off putting if I'm being honest. I really hate roleplaying type interviews, and assessment days. Just something about them that makes me think I'd fail.

Don't be, although it sounds very formal, it's a doddle as logn as you do a bit of home work, they give you everything you need.

For Cambridge: contact them on: 0845 456 456 4 to find out when the next intake is. This number is from the policecouldyou.co.uk site,

In terms of the eyesite (though it does vary for each force...) Typically it's no worse than 6/36 unaided which is the 2nd line down, or whos vision in both eyes is less than 6/6.

For aided vision, it must be better than 6/12 in either eye, or 6/6 with both.

You must not be colour blind, and laser eye surgery applications are accepted (depending on the type of surgery).

Hope that helps.

Man of Honour
lol some lazy cops do like to overuse BOP and it does cover a wide range of stuff

4 zeros (domestics) are the bain of our lives at the moment, very little discretion allowed

That's a national directive.

We go to a domestic and the wife says she has been assaulted but won't make a complaint doesn't make any difference. He gets arrested.

So many people die as a result of domestic violence. An assertive approach has to be used and even if she doen't want to make a complaint, several requirements of Section 24 PACE are usually met to justify the grounds for arrest, not to mention visible injury.

I'm not sure what that translates to north of the border as PACE isn't on the statute books there as far as I can remember unless there is a PACE Scotland Act ?

Don
Theres a requirement to have no criminal record? I guess it's obvious but still seems a bit unusual to me, not that I have one.

You can have convictions and still join. But you must declare all (inc motor convictions). But they tend to say if it happened within the last 5 years (not inc points on your license) then the application will be rejected.

In terms of grade Requirements: There are none as a general rule. When I first applied they 'liked' their applications with 5 A-C's at GCSE. It makes sense not to have any, as the entry is quite strict / intensive at points, and if you can't get through it with a decent level, then you'lll just be rejected.

Associate
That's a national directive.

We go to a domestic and the wife says she has been assaulted but won't make a complaint doesn't make any difference. He gets arrested.

So many people die as a result of domestic violence. An assertive approach has to be used and even if she doen't want to make a complaint, several requirements of Section 24 PACE are usually met to justify the grounds for arrest, not to mention visible injury.

I'm not sure what that translates to north of the border as PACE isn't on the statute books there as far as I can remember unless there is a PACE Scotland Act ?

No PACE in Scotland - would usually be domestic BOP or assault, basically the common law crime with a domestic aggravation. One of the parties will be removed....
I agree that it is a big problem but a lot of time it is obvious that nothing has happened - and it is't always the guy that's guilty!

Soldato
Good luck Hilly with WMC. You will be trained at Wellington where I have recently finished (jan). Hope you get Rose, she is an awesome tutor.

I have been fully opperational since Jan this year and have loved (almost) every minute of it. I would say the largest problem with WMC ATT is too little time to complete enquiries and paperwork.

Any questions just fire away :)

Man of Honour
No PACE in Scotland - would usually be domestic BOP or assault, basically the common law crime with a domestic aggravation. One of the parties will be removed....
I agree that it is a big problem but a lot of time it is obvious that nothing has happened - and it is't always the guy that's guilty!

That's true. I gave my scenario as an example.:)

Last edited:
Associate
got failed in my application for north wales police last year cos my eyesight was bad,
had laser eye surgery and reapplied 2 weeks ago,
been able to skip PIR and interview and join the intake on may 6th thank god!
i would deffo suggest it to anyone who has been failed on eyesight grounds (unless its colour blindness ofc!)

Don
Fitness test for WMC is a joke as well haha. I did a 12 bleep test and 125 push/ 120 pull

Cheers mate, I was aware it was in Wellington! Though I'm just awaiting my start date as they are kicking tyres. next intake is July I believe.

how are you finding it?

The physical is a joke. I pulled my groin weeks before hand so wasn't able to do any thing and still managed an 11. my upper body isn't great as I don't work on it, but easily managed 60's on the push and the pull, which is nearly double required. They should increase it really, it's a bit of a joke!

A girl who was there when I was, she was only tiny. Had already failed once, managed to scrape 5.4 on the bleep (though she pretty much collapsed after) and averaged 36 on the pull and 35 on the push. Border line or what......

Soldato
My Mam applied to the Northumbria Police, they have a higher accept rate (5% above national average), she failed with 5% below the pass-mark, so she didn't get the job, applied to York since she would have gotten in there, but they said since she passed the national average, and turned down a job (a job she wasn't offered), she can't apply again for another 6 months...

Slightly retarded if you ask me...

Soldato
Do you know when the next intake for the Met is??

No idea I am afraid. Best bet is to keep an eye on the events page at www.metpolicecareers.co.uk and also try calling the Recruitment line every month or so.

I called them the other day to ask about my application and before I spoke to anyone there was an automated voice saying that no new events were currently planned.

Associate
I was trying to see how you ease probationers into the job without putting them in situations they aren't ready for. Or is it straight in at the deep end?

hi mate theres no hard and fast rule really, it depends on the probationer. as a general rule i just have them watching for first week or so and expect nothing more than them just getting basic witness details and to arrest when instructed and get the caution right and then i build from there.

Associate
Currently working as a PCSO in Leicestershire Constabulary. Submitted an application form for Police Officer and have been succesfully shortlisted, hopefully i will be on the placement in November.

Soldato
I know someone who is in the process, he's failed the entry test twice. Now he's a PCSO for x amount of time, then he gets in, I think.

He has a list of local cars who were not breaking any laws, but weren't driving a way he likes, so he can remember to pay special attention to them. Everyone he has told about this list has told him he cannot do this, but he still has it. I've been trying to get on his list for a little while, no luck so far.

Back
Top Bottom