The Police Application Thread

Man of Honour
Right I know a few people on here are currently going through the process or either becoming a regular or special constable, so the purpose of this thread is to share information about the process, our progress and talk of our future work.

Before we start this, this thread is not for police bashing or talk of police brutality. This is about trying to understand what daily policing is all about and become informed of what the police do on a day to day basis. Therefore I'd appreciate input from serving officers such as the magical Von Smallhausen :p

So, I'll start by saying that I'm in the very early stages of the process. I've submitted the application and am now awaiting to see if I've passed the paper sift and a PIRT date.

Before anyone starts I am aware an ASP isn't a banhammer and I'm not going to wave it around as such :p:D

So who else here is thinking about this or actually in the process?

Man of Honour
OP
All the life examples they wanted had never happened to me. I take it as a good thing but it did seem to me the application was geared towards people that had been involved in a few more heated discussions with people :)

That's interesting, because Hampshire's competency questions were:

What is the role of a constable? When have you shown a high level of customer service? When have you identified with people of a different age/background? When have you shown problem solving skills?

So those questions, although not easy to answer weren't that bad :)

Man of Honour
OP
Burnsy, and others who have applied - how about posting some information about the application process? It's often things like these that put some people off.

Ok, but bear in mind this is Hant's specific:

The first step is the application. You can get one sent to you, just Google your police force website. This has general questions about you and your history. You also have some 'competency' questions where you basically have to write a mini essay of when you have done a specific task.

Step two is an assessment day (PIRT) where you have a physical activity (a beep test, which is basically a shuttle run) and some simple numeracy and literacy test.

Next you have an interview, just so they can address any concerns and get to know you properly.

Fourth is a medical and eye sight test. If you pass all this you go onto training.

Man of Honour
OP
I've been considering this recently, but as far as I'm aware isn't the waiting list and process stupidly long? If I'm not mistaken, the police were/are quite heavy on the old positive discrimination aren't they?

As for discrimination, that depends on force. Regular waiting lists can be quite lengthy, but again it's all specific to where you are.

Man of Honour
OP
have been in the police 4 years and am a tutor for probationers in there 10 weeks after training. its a hard job with too much politics, understaffed and very little time to catch up on paperwork but that said theres never a day i dont want to get up and go to work

if i can help anyone with questions, fire away.

What force?
What sort of duties do you do with probationers?
What sort of politics is there?

Man of Honour
OP
What do you mean? Once you are out of your initial training period you can put in for a basic permit, (just a fish and chip one, normal driving) then you can do a response course.

Force dependant, there can be very long waiting lists, so it may not happen for a year or so after putting in for the course

The waiting lists for even a basic driving ticket can be quite lengthy. As for response, you need to justify why you should have the course if you haven't been attached to a roads policing unit

Back
Top Bottom