***The Pond Discussion Thread****

Caporegime
OP
How are you going to get the crap that will collect at the bottom out? If left there without oxygen flow through it (the bottom layer) it will be anerobic and take oxygen from the water (plus be stinky rotten eggs).
I think you need to rethink the design.

The elevated sides are a good idea as it prevents the soil being eroded and then filling the pond, clogging the pump and filling the barrel with soil.

Do you know what plants you will put in?

Water lilys
Water hawthorn fine on 60cm shelf
Nymphoides peltata - very pretty and natural looking, 60cm shelf
Amphibious bistort - homes for dragonflies - 90cm shelf
white zantedeschia (arum lily) mine overwinter in the pond and come up every spring You would need to raise up the pot though it does not want to be in the 30cm deep zone
iris, iris iris!
Barred horsetail 30cm shelf
Bog bean 60cm shelf
Aponogeton desertorum 30 cm shelf
Marsilea mutica 30cm or 60cm shelf

Also how will you tackle a deluge of rain?

Would a rainfall in England really raise a pond like mine 5 inches? Couldn't I just open the outlet valve and drain the pond to the desired level?

Just thinking - better to have a automatic level/overflow. Given the surface area, the pond will collect rain fast, if there's large amount of rain then it will likely do that faster than you think. Just create a drainaway (long tube with rocks in) and put a grill in front of it to stop the tube from getting blocked.

I suppose I could have the outlet pipe right right at the bottom instead to flush the crap out?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Tweaks made:

2 x 2" waterfall outlkests to prevent overflowing if blanket weed surfaces.

90 degree Ubend to suck all the sedimant off the bottom when the Overflow valve is opened.

SqdNAERl.jpg

Soldato
Put a plan of wood I. As a ramp.. anything that falls in needs to have a exit point. I didn't and had a dead rat floating in the top

Caporegime
OP
Put a plan of wood I. As a ramp.. anything that falls in needs to have a exit point. I didn't and had a dead rat floating in the top

The beach area is the ramp...it's not clear from the pictures but the left side of the pic is about 3cm deep...once the cobbles and pebbles are in it will be easy access for hedgehogs etc...

Soldato
Been following your thread easy, looking good so far! Bet it felt good to fill it with water, it becomes a bit more real I guess.

How deep is it?

Caporegime
OP
Been following your thread easy, looking good so far! Bet it felt good to fill it with water, it becomes a bit more real I guess.

How deep is it?

Now I have created a berm scratted the bottom its 1.4m deep :)

Just waiting on the stones from the local quarry (big stones) and cobbles and pebbles for the beach.

Plants are arriving tomorrow. And then wildlife should move in pretty quick!

Caporegime
OP
Where are you obtaining the BIIIIIIG stones from?

I went to the local Quarry. The site manager turned out to be an old school friend I have not seen for 20 years...He took me out in his 4x4 searching for big stones.

He said he would get the lads to dig me some.

Just waiting on a call has he is delivering them this weekend hopefully. :)

Back
Top Bottom