The Pool Thread

Associate
I couldn’t find a recent thread so I thought I’d start a new one for all things related to the game of English 8 ball pool.

I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos over the weekend as I’d like to improve my game to become more consistent. I can pot a great long shot one ball then miss one right over the pocket.

Played a few practice frames by myself in the local club tonight. The tips I’ve seen have already improved my break. Want to get better at the positional side too.

Might treat myself to a nice cue for my birthday.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really enjoy pool but a) don't get the opportunity to play very often and b) am ridiculously inconsistent!

My best ever night playing was when I was absolutely hammered - had the confidence to just go for anything and it all came off!

Associate
OP
I really enjoy pool but a) don't get the opportunity to play very often and b) am ridiculously inconsistent!

My best ever night playing was when I was absolutely hammered - had the confidence to just go for anything and it all came off!

Very similar here. I only usually play once a month but going to try to practice more. Usually also play while drinking so that doesn’t help.

What pool are we talking here? American or English?

I play English pool, otherwise known as blackball, to a high level, so if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Yes, I meant English 8 ball. I don’t play the proper rules :) I must start to do so. I usually play no ‘carry on’ on the fouls. Is blackball the one where ‘skill’ shots are allowed and ‘world’ the other?

One question I do have is my stun shots don’t seem to work? What are some common reasons for this? I think I’m hitting just below centre on the cue ball but I seem to get draw on the ball still.

Caporegime
You’re probably not cueing straight. You might think you are but it’s very easy to cue across a ball and get unwanted side.

A good thing to practice is to put a ball on the centre of the table (the blue spot) and the cue ball by a corner pocket, so it’s a straight shot up the table to pot the ball in the far corner pocket. Keep trying to pot this ball in the far corner. If you are missing a lot, then you are not cueing straight. Keep practising until you are potting the ball nice and straight around 8/10 times. Don’t worry about where the cue ball goes after it has hit the object ball.

Then you can move on to the stun drill. Place the cue ball around 6 inches behind the cue ball spot and a ball around 2 feet up the table just short of the middle line. Make sure they are in a straight line. Your aim is to stun the cue ball and stop it dead on the object ball and then the object ball should go up and back down the table, hitting the cue ball and sending it straight back down to the bottom cushion. Sounds hard, but with enough practice and straight cueing, you will get it right in the end.

Soldato
I really miss playing pool, just don't get the opportunity to play anymore. Used to be a regular at Great Yarmouth too, although mine was generally supporting the ex-wife who was on the fringes of the England team for a bit and had a run at Nationals.

Playing against her regularly really improved me as a player and I flirted with a county team for a bit.

The right cue really does make a difference, I went from using a stick from Argos to being a gifted a Parris cue that her mum just didn't get on with... I loved that cue, but would never have spent that much on one personally!

Caporegime
I had a Parris too, cost me about £400. Nice cue but didn’t really suit pool as it was too heavy and had a 10mm tip. So I sold it. I now use a Peradon Quasar. Nice short cue (I’m only 5’5), and has a little 8mm tip. Much better for close control of the small cue ball. I paid about £200 for that one. I have an 11ml tip break cue as well as I don’t like breaking with such a small tip.

Soldato
I need to start playing again. When playing well there aren't many that could beat me, even beaten a few world champions in friendly games in the past. There are a lot of tournaments around here, need to familiarise myself with blackball rules as I always played world rules before I do that though.

Associate
Used to enjoy this game as a 15 year old at my local and then playing local pub league for Royal British Legion when I started work, but sadly life's moved on and I no longer really have the opportunity to play it.

I might be able to convince some work colleagues if I can find a pub nearby with a table.

Associate
OP
The need for my own cue became apparent tonight at my local club. Set up the drills @robfosters suggested. Miles out. Rolled the cue on the table, wobbly. Picked another, wobbly. Repeated another 5 or so times and all wobbled! Some you could visibly see drooping as you cued down them. Might explain part of my wild inconsistency. I’d never picked this up before till I knew what to look for.

Caporegime
The need for my own cue became apparent tonight at my local club. Set up the drills @robfosters suggested. Miles out. Rolled the cue on the table, wobbly. Picked another, wobbly. Repeated another 5 or so times and all wobbled! Some you could visibly see drooping as you cued down them. Might explain part of my wild inconsistency. I’d never picked this up before till I knew what to look for.

Rolling a cue on the table is not a reliable indicator of straightness. Holding it out and looking down it like sighting a rifle is a much better test. Anyway, a slightly bent cue shouldn't matter too much. Ken Doherty won the world snooker championship using a bent cue. It's more likely your stance and technique. How do you position your feet when playing a shot?

Associate
OP
Rolling a cue on the table is not a reliable indicator of straightness. Holding it out and looking down it like sighting a rifle is a much better test. Anyway, a slightly bent cue shouldn't matter too much. Ken Doherty won the world snooker championship using a bent cue. It's more likely your stance and technique. How do you position your feet when playing a shot?

Difficult to answer on the stance. I’ll pay attention when I play next. I’m right handed and I think I naturally stand with my left leg ahead of the right and slightly bent. Not certain I’m keeping my right leg straight all the time which would certainly be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom