The Pool Thread

Associate
Lay a pub cue in a straight line from the middle of the break off "D" down to the black spot then chalk a line.

Without using any object balls or cue ball, just concentrate on cuing down the chalk line keeping the cue straight...get into the habit of straightness.

After a few sessions of this, and you are confident that your cue action is straight chalk a line from corner pocket to corner pocket.

Using an object ball and cue ball start potting down the line gradually increasing the distance between the balls.

Keep practicing that and as long as your cue arm stays straight (even on the follow through) your game will improve.

You should apply the same principles when striking an object ball along a cushion....just practice to eliminate bad habits like striking across the cue ball etc.

This should obviously be practiced on a level pool table.

Good luck :)

I use blue diamond tips on all my cues....easy to shape how I want...usually a slight dome shape which I find prevents mis-cuing when adding side or screwback.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Lay a pub cue in a straight line from the middle of the break off "D" down to the black spot then chalk a line.

Without using any object balls or cue ball, just concentrate on cuing down the chalk line keeping the cue straight...get into the habit of straightness.

After a few sessions of this, and you are confident that your cue action is straight chalk a line from corner pocket to corner pocket.

Using an object ball and cue ball start potting down the line gradually increasing the distance between the balls.

Keep practicing that and as long as your cue arm stays straight (even on the follow through) your game will improve.

You should apply the same principles when striking an object ball along a cushion....just practice to eliminate bad habits like striking across the cue ball etc.

This should obviously be practiced on a level pool table.

Good luck :)

I use blue diamond tips on all my cues....easy to shape how I want...usually a slight dome shape which I find prevents mis-cuing when adding side or screwback.

Thanks. I will try next time I'm playing. I got a new cue but the tip looks very 'high' to me, what height do you have your tip? Ignore the shape as I mangled it with a file and need to get a shaper. (Original pic here for a better view: https://i.imgur.com/opF9uaA.jpg)

opF9uaAb.jpg.png

Associate
I just use a piece of medium grade sandpaper to shape mine.

Take some off the top and while turning the cue, just round it off into a nice dome shape :)

Edit: I also carry a small piece of sandpaper in my case in case I have to do tip repairs during games.

Back
Top Bottom