The quest for bread.

Associate
So...

Over the last few years I have avoided bread as it makes me very windy and unwell.

The only bread I could eat with no consequences was sour dough. Turns out it's my fav by a mile anyway.

Over the last few months I have been more and more interested in making pasta and bread and finally got my backside into gear and started to make bread on a regular basis.

Today, after a week of making a starter I have got to the point of making a loaf of sour dough. So far so good.

My aim is to keep this updated with what I have learnt and the outcome from each batch of bread.

Photos later.

p.s. Sour dough is a ball ache.

Soldato
p.s. Sour dough is a ball ache
it is like all relationships, once you have a daily routine with your new Mother, it becomes second nature, mine I think must be >10th Birthday,
indeed older than some OC members ? - some posts in the johnny 66 - bread bake thread

Associate
OP
Well the first loaf came out of the oven and was a little heavy for my liking. Around the edges it was very nice and the pockets of air were pronounced, however in the middle it was like a quite heavy loaf.

Time for a second go.

Associate
OP
it is like all relationships, once you have a daily routine with your new Mother, it becomes second nature, mine I think must be >10th Birthday,
indeed older than some OC members ? - some posts in the johnny 66 - bread bake thread

oh yeah for sure. 10 years!? awesome. I have heard that some starters have been going for nearly 100 years. how mad is that?

Soldato
Well the first loaf came out of the oven and was a little heavy for my liking. Around the edges it was very nice and the pockets of air were pronounced, however in the middle it was like a quite heavy loaf.

was it a boule/cobb shape on a baking stone ?

37843544424_a166d44680_o_d.jpg

Associate
OP
was it a boule/cobb shape on a baking stone ?

37843544424_a166d44680_o_d.jpg

Yeah, I cooked in on a stone, it was a cob shape and almost doubled in the oven in terms of height.

I also did a little bit of the steam treatment.

I will get some photos to show you.

Soldato
Does not look bad at all
- You slashed the top ?
- prepared a poolish with a percentage of the flour (I use 20%) the night before ?

Associate
OP
Right so attempt two!

cu7akCol.jpg much more bubbly poolish. ( realised I messed up the measurements last time and did grams not ML)

iotoouSl.jpg Let's see how this goes.

Wholemeal white mix this time.

Soldato
indeed yes, that has been on my shopping list a while

38676373002_6abf294bf6_o_d.jpg

but, frankly, I tend to review all the bread web-sites and build up recipes in one Note now.
one of those 25KG bags of bacheldre stone milled bread flour would not go amiss under the christmas tree though, have been experienting with adding blitzed linseed to recent loaves;
but sweet loaves with dried fruit/molasses/all-spice are a favourite.

Associate
OP
holy moly that book is immense.

This is the dough this afternoon, having a fairly chilly house seems to add hours and hours to the process.

EwxcDmrl.jpg

It's now on it's final rise. We will see what it's like after baking.

Soldato
I can smell burning ;)

I assume the picture was with all the flour incorporated, but it looks very hydrated,
I have greased the bowl used for rising and wonder if it then rises more easily with less drag at the sides ?

holy moly that book is immense.
yes your right , more pages than war and peace - maybe I begin to undertstand the cost, no indication it will be available cheaply on kindle.

Caporegime
try stretching and folding the dough over a few times so its like layers inside, should help to get some big air like ciabatta

Back
Top Bottom