• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Caporegime
the 5700xt is a great card its just poor cooling currently. i dont get why amd do this or any other company. you know you have a great product. but skimp on cooling. how much extra would it really cost to put better cooling on ? few dollars per card then the cards would sell really well. makes no sense whatsoever . save a few dollars to have a bad selling product.

hopefully when the custom cooling cards are out soon they will be fine. they are very good gpus.

Soldato
i dont get why amd do this or any other company. you know you have a great product. but skimp on cooling. how much extra would it really cost to put better cooling on ? few dollars per card then the cards would sell really well. makes no sense whatsoever .
You'd think the hard part would be the extreme science and engineering to design a 10 trillion transistor chip and bring it to life. But no, the hard part is apparently the physics of a few lumps of dumb metal and plastic!

Caporegime
The cooling is fine. I've seen a lot of testimonies stating that the cooling is just fine. And most are undervolting now anyway.

some cards have been shutting down pcs from heat. that is not fine and most users wont even know how to undervolt. the cooling is poor lets be honest but the gpu is great.

Soldato
the 5700xt is a great card its just poor cooling currently. i dont get why amd do this or any other company. you know you have a great product. but skimp on cooling. how much extra would it really cost to put better cooling on ? few dollars per card then the cards would sell really well. makes no sense whatsoever . save a few dollars to have a bad selling product.

hopefully when the custom cooling cards are out soon they will be fine. they are very good gpus.

The real kick in the teeth was AMd trying to convince people that the blower cooler is actually good

Soldato
some cards have been shutting down pcs from heat. that is not fine and most users wont even know how to undervolt. the cooling is poor lets be honest but the gpu is great.

Some people getting shutdowns is because are using X570 in hot cases

Soldato
The cooling is fine. Did someone have a bum card. Perhaps. But I've not seen any mega threads about the issue you mention.
And TROH thread here doesn't imply any epidemic.

Associate
The cooling is fine. I've seen a lot of testimonies stating that the cooling is just fine. And most are undervolting now anyway.

Exactly this. The problem is AMD's stock settings. My clock/voltage curve is set to 2084mhz/1201mv at default settings.

The cooler can cope with this just fine. Slashing 2-250mv off & dropping the clocks = better than stock performance with much lower power.

Caporegime
reviewers shown upto 115c with stock settings and pcs even shutting down. no way you paint that is good or decent. any gpu runnning stock and 100c as standard has poor cooling.

Associate
The junction temp throttle point is 115c... junction temp is 10-15c above gpu temp.. something like that. The card at default settings runs in the high 70's to 80's load dependant. So mid 90's for the hot-spot perhaps. All within design tolerances of this card. If anyone is getting 100c+ at stock something is awry..

Soldato
reviewers shown upto 115c with stock settings and pcs even shutting down. no way you paint that is good or decent. any gpu runnning stock and 100c as standard has poor cooling.

Junction temp is NOT core temp. And the GPU won't shut down until 120C junction temp is hit. To do over 90C on junction it means your case airflow is crap and you have added a lot of power to the GPU without raising the fan speed.
Out of the box settings you will barely hit 90C, and if you click the button "Auto undervolt", it barely goes over 84C at the low stock fan curve.

Soldato
The junction temp throttle point is 115c... junction temp is 10-15c above gpu temp.. something like that. The card at default settings runs in the high 70's to 80's load dependant. So mid 90's for the hot-spot perhaps. All within design tolerances of this card. If anyone is getting 100c+ at stock something is awry..

When mine runs in the 80s (core temp) it's really not happy including graphics and system crashes, and that's how it ran when gaming for any length of time (over 30mins). However the default fan speed for the whole temp range is abysmal, it runs at something like a max of 40%. I've changed the minimum %age and amount it ramps up at different temps, now it sits at roughly 65C when gaming. Sure it now runs loud but I use noise cancelling headphones anyway and my mic doesn't pick up the fans either so it's not an issue for me to have them running louder, especially as it means the chip isn't getting hot at all.

Soldato
your case airflow is crap
So much this.
Case flow, Case Flow, Case Flow

For example if a PC case has:
3 front facing intake fans
3 top exhaust fans
1 Rear fan.

Assuming there is no obstructions make sure you have some decent fan control module. Then get:
3, 120mm 1500rpm fans for the front with decent air pressure
3, 120mm 1500rpm fans exhausting out of the top. As heat typically rises anyway.
1, 140mm fan for the rear. Like the NF A14 industrialPPC-2000 or 3000 around 1750 rpm range.

The NF A14 industrial will drown out all 6 of your other fans with ease at 2000-3000rpm. LOL. No, I'm not joking. :D So you will need to dial it back some.
But the goal is to have good airflow throughout the case and exhausting heat out. Some motherboards, HD's and memory sticks have temp probes on them. You can use a free app called HWinfo to guage temps between them to see if there is any improvements.

Last edited:
Soldato
So much this.
Case flow, Case Flow, Case Flow

For example if a PC case has:
3 front facing intake fans
3 top exhaust fans
1 Rear fan.

Assuming there is no obstructions make sure you have some decent fan control module. Then get:
3, 120mm 1500rpm fans for the front with decent air pressure
3, 120mm 1500rpm fans exhausting out of the top. As heat typically rises anyway.
1, 140mm fan for the rear. Like the NF A14 industrialPPC-2000 or 3000 around 1750 rpm range.

The NF A14 industrial will drown out all 6 of your other fans with ease at 2000-3000rpm. LOL. No, I'm not joking. :D So you will need to dial it back some.
But the goal is to have good airflow throughout the case and exhausting heat out. Some motherboards, HD's and memory sticks have temp probes on them. You can use a free app called HWinfo to guage temps between them to see if there is any improvements.

Perfectly understand what you referring to about the Industrial 3000s. Had 2 of them on the Vega 64 while using the Morpheus II, after the EK Predator died.
Good fans to move air, but horrible ones to use for heatsink as the moment they start working with good static pressure, they become more noisy than the blower of the 5700XT. :D

That is why I love the blower on it's default settings with just auto undervolt atm. Can play hours and not bother me with noise at all. Only the whoosh of the air on the back, which isn't audible from under the desk.

Soldato
Perfectly understand what you referring to about the Industrial 3000s. Had 2 of them on the Vega 64 while using the Morpheus II, after the EK Predator died.
Good fans to move air, but horrible ones to use for heatsink as the moment they start working with good static pressure, they become more noisy than the blower of the 5700XT. :D

That is why I love the blower on it's default settings with just auto undervolt atm. Can play hours and not bother me with noise at all. Only the whoosh of the air on the back, which isn't audible from under the desk.
Yeah that Industrial 3000 does work some serious wonders. After gaming for an hour straight I can actually feel radiant heat exhausting from that fan. More so then from the top fans!

Associate
It could be a lot better, especially when you consider what the competitor cooling is like.
Only since RTX. It's not like they have had the dual fan cooling for long, couple that with it being the most over-engineered and under-performing dual fan solution out still making the AIB cards a better buy. If anything AMD need to stop with the stepped release of AMD only for a month or two and then AIB's. There's definitely a market for non-AIB cards in the water cooling market.

Soldato
Only since RTX. It's not like they have had the dual fan cooling for long, couple that with it being the most over-engineered and under-performing dual fan solution out still making the AIB cards a better buy. If anything AMD need to stop with the stepped release of AMD only for a month or two and then AIB's. There's definitely a market for non-AIB cards in the water cooling market.
Agreed!

I find it very disappointing that general ideas on how Radeon can be a better card can only be what one see's Nvidia do. There is no originality nor unique thought.
However, Radeon has offered: Freesync, Radeon Overlay (both at desktop and in game), Frame Rate Radeon Target Control, Image Sharpening, Radeon Anti Lag, Enhance Sync, Tessellation Control, Virtual Super Sample, Chill, etc.

Now they are offering a new Uarch which alleviates the short comings of GCN providing a performance boost using a lower end gpu that beats the V64 and competes well with a Radeon 7. Which hasn't been fully optimized in drivers yet. Furthermore, they are following a traditional trend of allowing AIB's to create their own PCB's and thermal solutions. Granted it could have been done earlier but that's neither here nor there.

I'm all for New ideas that would help Radeon be a better card. But would prefer Fresh, New ideas though. However, if it can only be "just" an observation on what Nvidia is doing with RTX that's something that I cannot give much credence to. :(

So to that end I have only one thought. Does AMD's lower end GPU, 5700 series, need a dual axle fan to mirror Nvidia's RTX series simply because someone noticed? No. No they don't. Because, at the very lest, the added cost would have prevented them from lowering the target price of the card to a level that is so attractive today! And, create a influx in mindshare that Radeon hasn't seen in a long time. :D

Last edited:
Associate
Ive had lots of crashes since installing 19.7.3, rolled back to 19.7.2 still crashes.
Turns out it was HWiNFO that was screwing something up.

Back
Top Bottom