• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
Just a quick update fellas -

Basically took my computer apart and reassembled it without extension cables. The PC always seems to boot now on cold startup whereas before it was hit and miss, but I'm still experiencing frame drops in menu when moving the cursor and whilst running in the actual game of Warzone. But I tried multiplayer and was getting a solid 240fps throughout with no drops whatever, so I guess I can rule out this being a hardware issue.

Caporegime
Just a quick update fellas -

Basically took my computer apart and reassembled it without extension cables. The PC always seems to boot now on cold startup whereas before it was hit and miss, but I'm still experiencing frame drops in menu when moving the cursor and whilst running in the actual game of Warzone. But I tried multiplayer and was getting a solid 240fps throughout with no drops whatever, so I guess I can rule out this being a hardware issue.
Glad it seems to be working okay in game. Not sure what could be causing the issue in the menu screen, but hey at least it works where it matters. :p

Nearly all my games perform better, i can take some video, resident evil 3, hitman 3 are the worst offenders.
Go for it. It sounds like you have something quirky going on locally though. I have Resident Evil 3, so will download it tonight. I've never played it before, so will record some footage (full screen and borderless)and let you know how it goes and if i encounter any funnies.

Associate
Glad it seems to be working okay in game. Not sure what could be causing the issue in the menu screen, but hey at least it works where it matters. :p

Go for it. It sounds like you have something quirky going on locally though. I have Resident Evil 3, so will download it tonight. I've never played it before, so will record some footage (full screen and borderless)and let you know how it goes and if i encounter any funnies.

Unfortunately WZ is my game, and not multiplayer, so it’s not really any help to me. I may have to seriously consider selling the 6900xt if the problem persists. Shame as it’s an an absolute monster at both 1440 and 1080.

Associate
I missed the part where you said you get frame drops in game in Warzone. :o

Weird though, right? They basically run on the same engine. One is absolutely flawless, doesn't even dip below a capped 240 at 1080, WZ is drops all over the shop. I know it isn't because of any legitimate reason because it dips even when there is no action and I'm in close quarters.

Soldato

Hmm, ive changed motherboard and processor, its not as bad on the Intel as it was with the ryzen on resident evil 3 (hadnt actually played resident evil 3 since i upgraded to a 12900k) but you can see in the videos below, one its borderless the other one with the big dips with the big dude comes is full screen.

https://youtu.be/b1e0CjkVsXY - exclusive

https://youtu.be/9YUcl2onUpE - borderless

Just uploading now. Might take a few minutes for the hd versions to upload.

Caporegime
Weird though, right? They basically run on the same engine. One is absolutely flawless, doesn't even dip below a capped 240 at 1080, WZ is drops all over the shop. I know it isn't because of any legitimate reason because it dips even when there is no action and I'm in close quarters.
Very strange if one works fine and the other doesn't. Is it just one map in Warzone or all of them?
Hmm, ive changed motherboard and processor, its not as bad on the Intel as it was with the ryzen on resident evil 3 (hadnt actually played resident evil 3 since i upgraded to a 12900k) but you can see in the videos below, one its borderless the other one with the big dips with the big dude comes is full screen.

Cheers Mark, will have a look tomorrow when I'm back in front of the PC. Resident Evil 3 will download overnight.

Caporegime

Only an 18GB download? Nice that was a refreshing change from 100GB+ downloads. :cry:

Here are my observations:

Jesus, that narrow FOV is killing me. I could not play this game without a MOD LOL.

Game draws a lot of power. I was hitting my set power limit of 399W constantly. Most games I play usually draw lower wattage.

Loaded it up, used DX12, maximum settings 4K, full screen. Game plays very smoothly, however I do notice a hitch when an action sequence starts. It is picked up every time something happens on my overlay, similar to yours. Yours does look worse. There was no change in this behaviour whether i was in full screen mode or borderless. The funny thing is, the game is perfectly smooth until that hitch. It's very odd.

I did some research into the game and apparently the DX12 mode has issues. Given the age of the game, it's not going to be updated. I then decided to switch to DX11 mode, and although I have slightly lower FPS, the game is perfectly smooth with no hitching like what I saw in DX12.

I looked at your videos and although you didn't show what settings/API you are using, I will guess that you are using DX12. Maybe try switching it up to DX11 and see if that helps. I tried DX11 full screen and borderless, both were fine. If I was to play this game, I'd be using DX11 since the FPS are high anyway and it runs so much better.

I'd keep HBAO+ off too, that's a Nvidia black box setting and it may not play nice with AMD cards. HDAO looks fine in comparison can't really notice any difference. I see this is a GameWorks title too, must have been one of the last ones made.

I'm uploading some footage to YouTube so you can have a look and let me know what you think. I'll tag you back in when they are ready, should be in a few hours or so.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Only an 18GB download? Nice that was a refreshing change from 100GB+ downloads. :cry:

Here are my observations:

Jesus, that narrow FOV is killing me. I could not play this game without a MOD LOL.

Game draws a lot of power. I was hitting my set power limit of 399W constantly. Most games I play usually draw lower wattage.

Loaded it up, used DX12, maximum settings 4K, full screen. Game plays very smoothly, however I do notice a hitch when an action sequence starts. It is picked up every time something happens on my overlay, similar to yours. Yours does look worse. There was no change in this behaviour whether i was in full screen mode or borderless. The funny thing is, the game is perfectly smooth until that hitch. It's very odd.

I did some research into the game and apparently the DX12 mode has issues. Given the age of the game, it's not going to be updated. I then decided to switch to DX11 mode, and although I have slightly lower FPS, the game is perfectly smooth with no hitching like what I saw in DX12.

I looked at your videos and although you didn't show what settings/API you are using, I will guess that you are using DX12. Maybe try switching it up to DX11 and see if that helps. I tried DX11 full screen and borderless, both were fine. If I was to play this game, I'd be using DX11 since the FPS are high anyway and it runs so much better.

I'd keep HBAO+ off too, that's a Nvidia black box setting and it may not play nice with AMD cards. HDAO looks fine in comparison can't really notice any difference. I see this is a GameWorks title too, must have been one of the last ones made.

I'm uploading some footage to YouTube so you can have a look and let me know what you think. I'll tag you back in when they are ready, should be in a few hours or so.
DX11 Full Screen / Borderless

4K Max Settings
6900 XT

DX12 Full Screen / Borderless

Soldato
Here's a tip for War Zone... for me, it's always ran absolute crap from day one... this is on rebuilt PC'srunning Win 10/11, whatever and running 5700XT and now my 6900XT... however, what I've found and I think it doesn't help is, the massive inconsistancy and up and down of the fps... one minute running 140fps at 4k the next 80fps... when you've got a game that's as badly coded as WZ, and drops frames and ups frames like that, you're gonna "feel" like it's missing frames or feeling jerky as it's those 1% mins that screw the feel of games up... it's just not butter smooth like most other gamessmooth.

So, for once in my life I'm running locked/vsynced at 60fps 4k and it's helped. The downside is obvious response times etc BUT at least the game:

1). Maxes temps at 58C due to reduced fps
2). It evens the games fps out and thus you're not maxing then dropping mega frames, it's just locked at 60fps obviously.

It's the only way I can get this piece of crap game to run sweetly.

Compare this to BOPS, Vanguard and BF 1/5/2142 which all run sweet... WZ is imho poorly coded, it's never been a game that ever feels like silk even when running 120fps... something about it feels like you're moving your mouse on gravel... very odd sesation.

Soldato
Very strange if one works fine and the other doesn't. Is it just one map in Warzone or all of them?

Cheers Mark, will have a look tomorrow when I'm back in front of the PC. Resident Evil 3 will download overnight.
DX11 Full Screen / Borderless

4K Max Settings
6900 XT

DX12 Full Screen / Borderless

Perhaps its to do with using vsync in these full screen excusive modes?

Soldato
Maybe, I am not really sure what settings you are using. Give it a go. Have you tried DX11? Could also try an FPS cap.

DX11 does it as well as 12, ive tried everything, vsync on/off, fps cap on/off, the only thing that removes is full screen borderless, its not a big deal since almost everything can be played fullscreen borderless anyway.

Caporegime
DX11 does it as well as 12, ive tried everything, vsync on/off, fps cap on/off, the only thing that removes is full screen borderless, its not a big deal since almost everything can be played fullscreen borderless anyway.
It happens in all games? It sounds like a local system issue but what could be causing it, I have no idea. A MSINFO32 report, saved in nfo format might provide some more information about your software/hardware setp.

Have you tried running LatencyMon, does that flag anything up? Just ran it for a few minutes here.
jI82P3a.png

Associate
Warzone update - So I've finally figured out how to get a smooth experience, but it involves setting texture resolution to Very Low.

I have tried changing it to normal and high, and even low, but they all bring back the stutters. I can even set my render resolution to 150% with Very Low on, and even though the frames are taking a hit, it's still infinitely smoother because there aren't sharp fluctuations.

Fortunately this game still looks pretty good even with very low textures, so I'm gonna play it this way.

Caporegime
Warzone update - So I've finally figured out how to get a smooth experience, but it involves setting texture resolution to Very Low.

I have tried changing it to normal and high, and even low, but they all bring back the stutters. I can even set my render resolution to 150% with Very Low on, and even though the frames are taking a hit, it's still infinitely smoother because there aren't sharp fluctuations.

Fortunately this game still looks pretty good even with very low textures, so I'm gonna play it this way.
Try tweaking the video memory scale, info here. Try anything from 0.5, to 1.0 and see if it has any effect.

Associate
Try tweaking the video memory scale, info here. Try anything from 0.5, to 1.0 and see if it has any effect.

Yeah, I've tried 8 for render worker count on my 5950x but the video memory scale is more unclear. Some people say 0.40, others say 0.55 etc. And it's hard to tell if it is actually making a difference.

I'll try some more values.

Back
Top Bottom