• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Caporegime
Finally got around to installing Forza Horizon 5, runs well at 4K Max settings, but has lower FPS than Forza 4 did at this resolution. Also updated my on screen overlay for the first time in yonks, now added a frame time graph.

Soldato
With a bit of light MPT I've broken my previous record and I`m on just over 19700 now with timespy (just over 22000 gpu score) thats with the last recommended drivers which are from last Nov I think. The CPU score prob lets me down a bit over the 59xx users although if I push an OC on that might meet that 20000+ target.

So I reckon with a bit more fight I could break the 20000.

Liquid metal has probably made the difference too.

Caporegime
With a bit of light MPT I've broken my previous record and I`m on just over 19700 now with timespy (just over 22000 gpu score) thats with the last recommended drivers which are from last Nov I think. The CPU score prob lets me down a bit over the 59xx users although if I push an OC on that might meet that 20000+ target.

So I reckon with a bit more fight I could break the 20000.

Liquid metal has probably made the difference too.
What deltas do you see before and after LM?

Soldato
I cant quite remember what its called but it dropped 20c, its the middle one in my OSD, the hotspot I think it used to get 108c - 110c and now it maxes at 88c in Timespy. With the OC shenanigans above it was 98c.

I think I posted it earlier somewhere in this thread.

Caporegime
I cant quite remember what its called but it dropped 20c, its the middle one in my OSD, the hotspot I think it used to get 108c - 110c and now it maxes at 88c in Timespy. With the OC shenanigans above it was 98c.

I think I posted it earlier somewhere in this thread.
That's a pretty good result then from where it was. Can't really hope for much better than that. :)

Caporegime
@LtMatt - any idea why borderless fullscreen works so much better than exclusive fullscreen on the 6900XT?
That has not been my experience. I get marginally better FPS in full screen mode. Can you provide some more context, examples etc?
Does the coil whine on these cards quieten down over time? My card sometimes sounds like an old mechanical hard drive!
I think most cards that have coil whine usually get better over time.

Soldato
That has not been my experience. I get marginally better FPS in full screen mode. Can you provide some more context, examples etc?

I think most cards that have coil whine usually get better over time.

Also depends on what you are doing. Some menu's in games make the FPS go crazy so the card produces coil whine. I mainly limit my FPS to the same hz figure as my monitor refresh rate to stop it.

Caporegime
Also depends on what you are doing. Some menu's in games make the FPS go crazy so the card produces coil whine. I mainly limit my FPS to the same hz figure as my monitor refresh rate to stop it.
Yes, my card whines line a banshee at thousands of FPS in the menu screens for Far Cry 6/Forza Horizon 5. It's fine in games though where the FPS at 60-200 etc.

Soldato
Yes, my card whines line a banshee at thousands of FPS in the menu screens for Far Cry 6/Forza Horizon 5. It's fine in games though where the FPS at 60-200 etc.
It does seem to do it worst in menus. I mostly play Escape from Tarkov, coil whine doesn't seem to bad in the menus or in game but when you're in your hideout, it screams!

Soldato
Could be, 850W is the recommended minimum. That's for a 6900 XTX, 255W stock power limit.

With an XTXH, with higher voltage and power limits, three PCI-E connectors, I'd recommend 1000W Platinum PSU at a minimum, which is what I use.

It does depend on the quality of the PSU though my 850W SF platinum doesn't complain with my 350W 3090 but 3 PCI-E connectors, that would be a killer right there it simply doesn't have a spare

Caporegime
It does depend on the quality of the PSU though my 850W SF platinum doesn't complain with my 350W 3090 but 3 PCI-E connectors, that would be a killer right there it simply doesn't have a spare
That's true mate, a high spec PSU can definitely help with edge cases.

A quality 850W unit should be good for most 6900XTs/3090s I'd have thought.

I tried my reference 6900 XT with a high quality 650W Platinum SeaSonic PSU, but unless I undervolted the GPU (stock clocks) it would randomly turn my system off once the graphics card hit heavy load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom