• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Hi guys so I know I’ve posted on here a few times BUT.. I have found someone willing to swap their 7900 XTX Red devil bought from here a few months ago brand new in exchange for £125 and my 3090 FE.. only it’s a 6 hour round trip in the car so about £40 in fuel hence why he’s knocked some money off the trade. We can test both cards surely seems worth it?? Looking at YouTube videos and the XTX performs considerably better in Far cry 6 and RE4 2 games I play at 4k and at times the 3090 can’t hold 60 both fully maxed out..

Hi guys so I know I’ve posted on here a few times BUT.. I have found someone willing to swap their 7900 XTX Red devil bought from here a few months ago brand new in exchange for £125 and my 3090 FE.. only it’s a 6 hour round trip in the car so about £40 in fuel hence why he’s knocked some money off the trade. We can test both cards surely seems worth it?? Looking at YouTube videos and the XTX performs considerably better in Far cry 6 and RE4 2 games I play at 4k and at times the 3090 can’t hold 60 both fully maxed out..

Not sure if I could be assed with the 6hrs driving. Long way to go if it turns out to be a lemon.

For £125 +fuel, it doesn't seem too bad. The 7900XTX is upto 40% faster in many raster games. RT is very similar but the 3090 can be a bit better in heavy RT games like CP2077.

Ask the guy to show GPU-Z with the junction temp under load. If it doesn't hit 110C then it should be fine.

Last edited:
For £125 +fuel, it doesn't seem too bad. The 7900XTX is upto 40% faster in many raster games. RT is very similar but the 3090 can be a bit better in heavy RT games like CP2077.

Ask the guy to show GPU-Z with the junction temp under load. If it doesn't hit 110C then it should be fine.
Is that the temp hot spot? It reaches 81 degrees in RE4 4k

Any one experiencing issues since installing 23.3.2? All intensive games e.g. Horizon Zero Dawn, Deus Ex: MD, Cyberpunk are crashing for me after around 30 seconds without fail now. DX driver failure is the report in all cases. I'm running completely stock.

Last edited:
Is that the temp hot spot? It reaches 81 degrees in RE4 4k

Have a look at this video. The "GPU Temperature (Hotspot)" is the one to look out for. IF it did reach over 100C then there could be a problem with thermal pads or heat pipes.. I think the Red Devil should be fine though. Only the AMD reference cards had issues in some bad batch.

OK, so, finally, it's here. My "usual" DPD delivery guy turned up this time, so it was smooth sailing. :) No Haribo inside the box though. :(

So, anyway, just wanted to ask if I've done everything I should have done for getting the most out of the GPU (Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX) now whilst keeping it as cool and silent as possible? Have it all installed, and got it in the Silent BIOS, with undervolt to 1060mv, Cores I've left alone (GPUZ had it clocking up to 2.95ghz though on its own during a Time Spy run), but the memory I've set at Fast Timing and pushed to 2650 from 2500, and the Power Limit pushed to +15 from default of 0. Tested in games and some Deep Learning stuff and no issues so far, no instability issues or anything. Anyone notice anything I've missed that I should try and implement?

:: edit ::
Meh, forgot to add, that the tested temps went up to 80C for the Junction GPU Temp, and a lot less for the edge (normal) GPU temp.

Last edited:
Those setting look ok to me. I did not bother with the fast timings and found the simplest way was to just up power and undervolt. Some games may not be stable with that undervolt but its all to do with the silicon lottery so you will have to find out yourself how your gpu works

LtMatt may have worked out a way to control the frequency sliders but as soon as i touch them the performances drops like a stone so I leave them alone. In later drivers I hope we get the oppurtunity to individually alter the front end and shader clocks but cannot do that at the moment.

Hotspot temp is fine if that is what it maxes out at on full power.

OK, so, finally, it's here. My "usual" DPD delivery guy turned up this time, so it was smooth sailing. :) No Haribo inside the box though. :(

So, anyway, just wanted to ask if I've done everything I should have done for getting the most out of the GPU (Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX) now whilst keeping it as cool and silent as possible? Have it all installed, and got it in the Silent BIOS, with undervolt to 1060mv, Cores I've left alone (GPUZ had it clocking up to 2.95ghz though on its own during a Time Spy run), but the memory I've set at Fast Timing and pushed to 2650 from 2500, and the Power Limit pushed to +15 from default of 0. Tested in games and some Deep Learning stuff and no issues so far, no instability issues or anything. Anyone notice anything I've missed that I should try and implement?

Meh, forgot to add, that the tested temps went up to 80C for the Junction GPU Temp, and a lot less for the edge (normal) GPU temp.
Looks good to me. It’s all about experimenting as some games maybe ok and others might need tweaking. If not done so already make sure you have a fan at the back of your case and on the roof of your case at the back as well. This made a big difference to my temps.

Try 2714Mhz fast timing.

These backplates are something I cannot understand have not been a bigger feature in the past. If you are going to pay £500+ for your gpu then I would have thought many more companies would be willing to sell you a custom backplate for £20 so you can have it look how you want. Sure you can get an EK backplate and they are nice quality metal but not everyone is going to want to unscrew the existing backplate to fit the new one.

You can get a dbrand skin for just about everything but not gpus. May be an area of expansion for them.

Any one experiencing issues since installing 23.3.2? All intensive games e.g. Horizon Zero Dawn, Deus Ex: MD, Cyberpunk are crashing for me after around 30 seconds without fail now. DX driver failure is the report in all cases. I'm running completely stock.
All good here, been playing AC Valhalla and cyber punk and world of warships (I'm old dont judge me :p)

Done the tube thing, it's the card. I have vsync and frame caps on, I can see in Afterburner that my fps doesn't go above 144 at 1440p. I can hear the buzzing from 10 feet away. I've raised a return ticket as it's actively putting me off gaming :(.
Same I returned my ASU’s TUF 7900 XTX got a second one delivered but haven’t opened it yet as I was in Florida on work so probably do it this weekend. I have heard the ASUS cards are notorious for coil while so I expect the second one to be the same also and I just will probably get a different brand.

Same I returned my ASU’s TUF 7900 XTX got a second one delivered but haven’t opened it yet as I was in Florida on work so probably do it this weekend. I have heard the ASUS cards are notorious for coil while so I expect the second one to be the same also and I just will probably get a different brand.
Dont worry as you get older your hearing goes. Give it a few years and you wont hear it. :p
Seriously I think its more to do with other components in our systems not getting on. I've had a powersupply that made a good card scream like banshee.

Last edited:
Loving this card so far :D

Seriously tempted to waterblock it up but a) I'm effectively skint after buying the card, and b) taking a brand-new 1100 quid GPU apart scares me
I'll get a pic up to join the RoH later :)

You are unlikely to get any extra performance from the card by putting it under a waterblock. If you want a quieter system it can help but if your card currently does not have coil whine it may develop it once you change the cooler , it is always a risk. The only real reason to watercool a gpu these days is for aestetic reasons. I love my watercooled system but it cost a fortune and performs no better than if I had left the air cooled components on.

We have very very similar systems so easy to compare and contrast, my card is a Sapphire MBA. Some of my numbers are , 14500 Timespy extreme gpu score when on stock settings and around max 16200 when undervolted, memory speed and power limits increased. When on stock settings the temps are ludicrously low with the hotspot around 65 and when overclocked the hotspot is around 80

Back
Top Bottom