• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

You are unlikely to get any extra performance from the card by putting it under a waterblock. If you want a quieter system it can help but if your card currently does not have coil whine it may develop it once you change the cooler , it is always a risk. The only real reason to watercool a gpu these days is for aestetic reasons. I love my watercooled system but it cost a fortune and performs no better than if I had left the air cooled components on.

We have very very similar systems so easy to compare and contrast, my card is a Sapphire MBA. Some of my numbers are , 14500 Timespy extreme gpu score when on stock settings and around max 16200 when undervolted, memory speed and power limits increased. When on stock settings the temps are ludicrously low with the hotspot around 65 and when overclocked the hotspot is around 80

I know. My rig has a full custom water loop, my old Vega had an aftermarket block on it. I'd just like to get the new card in the loop, as it's there...

If you've reduced voltage a lot, you might need a little bump for it to be stable.
Had some time today, so tried to see what could be done by adding some volts back in.

So, added +5mv back in to reach 1065mv and then pushed the VRAM, went up to 2714, then to 2764 (with the 14 offset, this means 2700 and 2750mhz VRAM). Checked for stability and happy to leave the GPU at 1065mv (down from 1150mv default). I did YOLO it and went 2814 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider did run but hard crashed in the third part (temple area) and could only reset the system; I'm not sure if adding more volts back could have made it stable and functional, but for +5mv more for more on the VRAM I think is enough for me for now. :)

Last edited:
What's everyone hotspot temps with the nitro+? My new one seems a bit toastier than my last. GPU temps are okay, but junction seems higher? This one even UVs better.
image.png

What's everyone hotspot temps with the nitro+? My new one seems a bit toastier than my last. GPU temps are okay, but junction seems higher? This one even UVs better.
image.png
There is a bit of a difference between GPU and junction. Your fan curve is rather flat at 50%. Mine usually stays between 5 and 10 degrees difference.

Finally got around to installing the nitro+ in my pc, only needed to remove the middle front case fan so have 2 fans(top & bottom). I’ve not installed the anti-sag bracket so will there be any issues? I’m building a new pc in the lian li o11d or the air mini in the coming weeks/months once the 7800x3d releases so it wouldn’t be in this pc for too long, will it cause any damage to the motherboard/card pci-e in that period?

Last edited:
Finally got around to installing the nitro+ in my pc, only needed to remove the middle front case fan so have 2 fans(top & bottom). I’ve not installed the anti-sag bracket so will there be any issues? I’m building a new pc in the lian li o11d or the air mini in the coming weeks/months once the 7800x3d releases so it wouldn’t be in this pc for too long, will it cause any damage to the motherboard/card pci-e in that period?
It kinda depends on if your motherboard has a reinforced PCIe x16 slot (some do, most don't). If reinforced, you can probably get away with not fitting the bracket in for the mean time. If it's not, you probably do want an anti-sag item in there somewhere to prevent the GPU from bending and potentially snapping the PCIe slot from it's contacts. Also beware, that the bracket that's provided with the Nitro+ as @eeii has said it fairly sizeable, and some users have repoted being unable to utilise it because their cases PCI slot screws were not long enough to accomodate it.

It kinda depends on if your motherboard has a reinforced PCIe x16 slot (some do, most don't). If reinforced, you can probably get away with not fitting the bracket in for the mean time. If it's not, you probably do want an anti-sag item in there somewhere to prevent the GPU from bending and potentially snapping the PCIe slot from it's contacts. Also beware, that the bracket that's provided with the Nitro+ as @eeii has said it fairly sizeable, and some users have repoted being unable to utilise it because their cases PCI slot screws were not long enough to accomodate it.
When I got my replacement nitro, it came with longer screws! My first one definitely didn't have them. Made installing the bracket a million times easier.

When I got my replacement nitro, it came with longer screws! My first one definitely didn't have them. Made installing the bracket a million times easier.

Mine comes with 3 screws that are longer than the ones on the pci slot

I have the Asus Maximus X Hero, I did try to screw it in but dropped the first screw into the nitro+ but fortunately got it out so didn’t risk it again. Will try to screw it in without dropping the screws onto the graphics card.

Btw forgot to mention I managed to get a bit of time playing hogwarts legacy, getting 100+ fps with rt & sub 50 fps with rt on high(ultra greyed out). Gpu temps sub 70c, junction temperature getting to 87c.

Yep still coil whine so I will keep this one no point trying to change it again as it will probably be the same thing again.

I will try and find a GPU-intensive game to push it to the limits to see if that, over time reduces the coil whine.

But another than the coil whine, the TUF is a beautiful and well-built card. Runs my LG C2 beautifully.

Yep still coil whine so I will keep this one no point trying to change it again as it will probably be the same thing again.

I will try and find a GPU-intensive game to push it to the limits to see if that, over time reduces the coil whine.

But another than the coil whine, the TUF is a beautiful and well-built card. Runs my LG C2 beautifully.
That’s a shame is it definitely the card. It could be the power supply. Might be worth checking with a kitchen roll.

Back
Top Bottom