• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Is anyone experiencing slow post times with Intel motherboards? Googled and found I'm not alone... nothing wrong with the card or PC but getting longer restart and first boot times.

Mine definitely got a bit slower to post when i was on Intel. It wasn’t a great deal tho so i just got on with it.

It was talked about on Hardware Unboxed awhile ago apparently, around 45 seconds from first boot to login since adding the card. Not an issue as everything is working as intended but thought there might of been a fix.

Is anyone experiencing slow post times with Intel motherboards? Googled and found I'm not alone... nothing wrong with the card or PC but getting longer restart and first boot times.

Just tested this out, and yes i would say it does take maybe 5 or so seconds longer (that is a guess) to post than it did when it had a 3060 in it. Difficult to gauge as id never thought about it or times it before! I am on an Asus Z690 A Gaming.

Not really a big deal for me.

Edit - just seen your other post - certainly isnt as long as 45 seconds or significantly longer than it was before.

Last edited:
Just tested this out, and yes i would say it does take maybe 5 or so seconds longer (that is a guess) to post than it did when it had a 3060 in it.

Edit - just seen your other post - certainly isnt as long as 45 seconds or significantly longer than it was before.

That might be me over exaggerating it a little perhaps, around 15 seconds at most.

Having had the 7900XTX Nitro now for a week or so Ive been putting it through its paces and trying to find a nice sweet spot for temp and speed on CoD MW2 MP (mainly play shipment)

Settled with the core at 2600Mhz and Mem at 2550Mhz - Tried to undervolt at 1050 to 1095 but it seems that it is rock solid stable at 1.1v - Power limint +10 - Fan 85% (no curve)

Temps seem very reasonable with the hot spot in the low 70s and core in the 50s and always around 20c delta. Minimal fan noise (side case open)

I get my target frame rate of 120FPS 4K Ultra Preset and it never really dips below this. Its one beast of a card, it pumps out a **** tonne of heat though. Need that water block soon. :cry:

Last edited:
Just tested this out, and yes i would say it does take maybe 5 or so seconds longer (that is a guess) to post than it did when it had a 3060 in it. Difficult to gauge as id never thought about it or times it before! I am on an Asus Z690 A Gaming.

I was also about 5 or so seconds slower to post when changing from a 3070. Z690 board also.

Having had the 7900XTX Nitro now for a week or so Ive been putting it through its paces and trying to find a nice sweet spot for temp and speed on CoD MW2 MP (mainly play shipment)

Settled with the core at 2600Mhz and Mem at 2550Mhz - Tried to undervolt at 1050 to 1095 but it seems that it is rock solid stable at 1.1v - Power limint +10 - Fan 85% (no curve)

Temps seem very reasonable with the hot spot in the low 70s and core in the 50s and always around 20c delta. Minimal fan noise (side case open)

I get my target frame rate of 120FPS 4K Ultra Preset and it never really dips below this. Its one beast of a card, it pumps out a **** tonne of heat though. Need that water block soon. :cry:

The hottest ive seen my card get is also playing Shipment.

I am not even sure i would have noticed it if I had not read your post :p

My apologies for making you aware... it isn't causing an issue though, everything is working as intended. No issues and it's whizzing along perfectly fine in long gaming sessions, barely peaks over 60°.

it pumps out a **** tonne of heat though. Need that water block soon. :cry:

Just by putting it under a waterblock will not make it pump out any less heat. You will experience a delay in the heat being noticeable in your enviroment because the water in the loop will absorb more energy to increase its temp before you can feel the room heating up but the actual energy entering your closed ecosystem will be the same no matter how you cool the card.

That nitro + looks absolutly stunning... I am trying to hold to see if the price goes down a bit for the XTX but I am not sure for how long I will be able to wait :D

That is very encouraging. Thanks for the replies. It seems there should be no, or very little, issues AMD specific.

Do you all use the latest drivers..?

Bit more information for you.

Just installed Age of Wonders 4. Tried to play with 34.4.1 and crashed on character creation. Updated to 34.4.3 and all seems to be working fine. Even if I have issues in this game I am sure there will a properly working set within a month.

Driver issues are often overhyped and normally easily fixed.

Bit more information for you.

Just installed Age of Wonders 4. Tried to play with 34.4.1 and crashed on character creation. Updated to 34.4.3 and all seems to be working fine. Even if I have issues in this game I am sure there will a properly working set within a month.

Driver issues are often overhyped and normally easily fixed.

Thanks, that really is helpful and reassuring.

Is the idle power draw issue just with multi monitors?

I have just one monitor via DP and HW monitor is reporting idle wattage (ie with nothing open and just sitting at the desktop) of about ~12w which sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
Just by putting it under a waterblock will not make it pump out any less heat. You will experience a delay in the heat being noticeable in your enviroment because the water in the loop will absorb more energy to increase its temp before you can feel the room heating up but the actual energy entering your closed ecosystem will be the same no matter how you cool the card.
Agreed I meant that the GPU under water should run a lot cooler. You could cook an egg on the back of the Nitros backplate :cry:

I guess im just not used to have a massive GPU heatsink giving off so much heat as my GPUs have been under water for the past few years.

I was mere seconds away from pulling the trigger on a Nitro+ 7900 XTX to go with my 7800X3D but then I did the silly thing and checked 4080 prices. I didn't realise 4080's could now be had for £1099, the same price as the Nitro+. At equal pricing, surely there is merit to considering a 4080 instead?

However, worth considering that I'll be able to make use of SAM if I go with the XTX which will certainly improve frames at 1440p.

Decisions decisions.

Last edited:
I was mere seconds away from pulling the trigger on a Nitro+ 7900 XTX to go with my 7800X3D but then I did the silly thing and checked 4080 prices. I didn't realise 4080's could now be had for £1099, the same price as the Nitro+. At equal pricing, surely there is merit to considering a 4080 instead?

However, worth considering that I'll be able to make use of SAM if I go with the XTX which will certainly improve frames at 1440p.

Decisions decisions.

If things like ray tracing matter to you then the 4080 might be a better choice.

I was also In the process of reordering a 7900XTX and saw the prices of the 4080 and starting to wonder. I still think the XTX is the overall better value as I don’t use RT or any of the stuff Nvidia has that makes people choose their GPU. The 24GB of VRAM and displayPort 2.1 I feel adds more value especially for the future in my opinion

Back
Top Bottom