• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
Playing around with the OCs, my GPU isn't the best as the stock voltage is 1101.

2000mhz doesn't seem possible for me. 2000 @ 1150 crashes and I don't really want to push the voltage any higher than that.

Weirdly, I can run 1975mhz/1090mv + 1150mhz HBM and it's fine. Strange that I can't get an extra 25mhz with 60mv but that's good enough for me.

GPU: 44c, Junction: 66c
That looks very good to me. Have you done a FS ultra stress test to check it can pass? Have a look at the temps are after that test as its worst case, so gives an idea of the worst temps you can expect.

Associate
Hmm, a fair point! I'd been running the firestrike ultra benchmark, which was fine but it just crashed half way through the stress test. Did the same thing at 1105mv. I've increased it to 1115mv and so far so good. Though temps are now 45/75 so a huge increase in junction temperature.

Associate
ZjGejF3.jpg

Stable at 1975mhz GPU, 1150mhz HBM2 @ 1115mv which isn't bad. Was hoping to keep junction temperature in the 60s though.

Despite being set to 1975 in wattman, it only actually boosted to 1966. Perhaps I'll shoot for 1950mhz and see what I can get there as really it will only lose 16mhz.

Associate
Seems to be stable at 1950mhz/1065mv. Hits 70c but didn't have time to do the complete stress test, will play around some more. Definitely not stable at 1058mv so it's right on the limit.

Soldato
It really is eye opening to see such a large difference in gpu chips on this card, I was reading an article about how very upset people have been with there being 2 chips for the 2070 and 2080, one being a A chip and very OC able, and the other being the more poo poo chip and not so much. So nvidia from now on will only have 1 die.

Yet the variation on the r7 is massive, I am running 2030mhz @1081mv and 1215mhz hbm as my 24/7 settings the gpu hangs around 43.c and the junction 70.c I don't know if thats because its a good chip or that my custom loop is finally as excellent as i want....

Soldato
I think this level of variance in chip quality tells us that they're probably throwing very few Vega 20 dies away.
I read (possibly this thread) that they stopped making radeon 7's already
Also the first r7 i had was of such bad chip quality that it wouldnt even work at stock settings, wouldnt undervolt, just crash after an hour of gaming constantly

Associate
I read (possibly this thread) that they stopped making radeon 7's already
Also the first r7 i had was of such bad chip quality that it wouldnt even work at stock settings, wouldnt undervolt, just crash after an hour of gaming constantly
Really? That would be quite strange since Radeon VIIs are just Instinct cards that didn't make the cut. From what I've heard AMD isn't able to keep up with demand on those.
Damn. I didn't even think they would ship something like that. What was the stock voltage of your original card?

Soldato
Really? That would be quite strange since Radeon VIIs are just Instinct cards that didn't make the cut. From what I've heard AMD isn't able to keep up with demand on those.
Damn. I didn't even think they would ship something like that. What was the stock voltage of your original card?
It was 1081mv at stock, but would only undervolt to 1070mv and sparkle, it failed firestrike ultra stresstest at stock and crashed in games if i left it. Underclocking it was the only solution for that sad R7, I RMA'd it and got a replacement so they must have had the same results in the OCUK labs when testing it

Associate
Seems to be stable at 1950mhz/1065mv. Hits 70c but didn't have time to do the complete stress test, will play around some more. Definitely not stable at 1058mv so it's right on the limit.
That's sounding good now Tom. Got an undervolt and +150mhz on the clock too. Can't be bad! Did you see your peak was a massive 351w, well outside of the vii's sweet spot lol.
I'd give HWinfo a go too, new beta build 3740. https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html

Soldato
If Navi 3090xt is radeon 7 + 10% like the leaks proclaim then its just going to be what we have squeezed from the R7

That would be a decent upgrade on a 1070 but I think I read that the 3090XT may not launch until next year. A 3080 and hold off until next gen may be the next best bet?

Soldato
I'd wait for intel tbh in 2020, even if you dont buy their new card, nvidia will have something new and it wont be able to be so expensive

I did wonder about that but I read that the Intel card may be aimed more at the data center than the consumer. I'd rather avoid putting money into Nvidia's pocket too if there is an alternative.

Associate
I'd wait for intel tbh in 2020, even if you dont buy their new card, nvidia will have something new and it wont be able to be so expensive
Intel has only really mentioned mobile and server parts being planned for 10nm as well as their GPU. That tells me that their 10nm process is probably not very good right now. So the GPUs will either be quite low end or they will probably be very high end with pricing similar to Nvidia.
https://newsroom.intel.com/news/2019-intel-investor-meeting/#gs.axetcy

Soldato
Hey guys, has anyone had a chance to try OBS AMD encoder with the VII? I've reverted to encoding with this addon for OBS for various other problems, and whilst streaming to twitch it impacts the game perfromance the least (basically no impact whatsoever), it regularly experiences encoder overload and thus the stream stutters/freezes. I haven't been able to pinpoint whether the bottleneck occurs due to the gpu usage by the game or the OBS settings I use for the encoding, but it seems very random; thus was wandering if VII copes any better. Basically just looking for pretext to get my hands on a Radeon VII :p
I have been having this problem with OBS, I can't seem to get any settings working right without the stuttering you describe, whether hardware or software decoding, If anyone here is good with OBS i would really really appreciate some help

Back
Top Bottom