The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

Caporegime
I can't seem to get my new Seagate Barracuda to work. Disk Management sees the unallocated drive but it won't let me initialise or partition; regardless of GPT or MBR - I get this error when trying:

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

This is in a HP N54L acting as my HTPC but there are two current 3.5" drives in there with no issues. I have tried plugging the new drive into a couple of different slots to no avail. It doesn't feel like a hardware issue as Windows clearly sees the drive, it just can't use it.

Any ideas?

Associate
Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Have you tried a few simple troubleshooting steps such as using a different cable, trying it in a different port, and trying it in a different system?

A new drive shouldn't be throwing I/O errors, if you can download our free diagnostic software SeaTools and get it to scan, then do that definitely. However it may not want to under these circumstances. Otherwise, you can either look into an RMA through our Warranty Validation Tool and/or get in touch directly with Seagate Support.

Caporegime
OP
Thank you for the prompt response :)

Two things I haven't tried; plugging into one of the slots currently occupied by the other two drives (but have a feeling it will do the same) or as Semple suggests, try it in another machine.

I have tried SeaTools - just shows the 3 HDs already installed.

Caporegime
OP
Not a good sign. I tried it in one of the bays previously used by the existing HDs, still get the same error and the existing HD works fine in the new slot.

@seagate_surfer - so RMA through Seagate rather than OcUK?

Associate
I believe when you check the Warranty Validation Tool, if it's a situation where the retailer is responsible for the RMA, then it will let you know that. You can also contact the OcUK team and they will probably have information about whether it's their RMA process to follow in this case or Seagate's.

Soldato
What EXACTLY are the drives you're talking about here?

Perhaps your board is ancient doesn't support drives larger than a certain size.

Back
Top Bottom