The return of the king? Nokia 8 and 9 series

Soldato
A lot of Nokia's reputation was on the quality of the camera and most importantly the lenses that they used. No off the shelf parts from Sony et al as seen in most phones these days but in-house lenses such as that seen on the 808 and 1020, both of which still hold their own and in the right hands even surpass what's available now. Hopefully they can reproduce this in up and coming phones, PureView and a Carl Zeiss lens on the new Nokia's would be ideal.

Man of Honour
OP
It's less about lenses these days due to the high quality of off the shelf lenses anyway as evidenced on competing flagships over the past 24 months. It's more to do with the sensor and integrated RAM now.

We are now at a time where SoCs support 120fps 4K video recording with HDR, and 1000fps slow motion capture. Multiframe and HDR on stacked sensors allows for low light low noise capture at higher ISOs and built in OIS is always improving.

I read that the 8/9 won't feature Carl Zeiss lenses, but I'm sure the sensors themselves will be ahead of the competition. It would be nice to have, and maybe they will have a Zeiss lens in the 9 series only just to give it an additional USP.

Let's hope.

Soldato
Fingers crossed those renders are true, Absolutely lost on what phone to get nowadays.

LG have messed up by not including the same features globally, I'd have liked a Hi-FI Quad DAC. Sadly they are only putting that in the Asian market so that is me out on that one.

Samsung a well rounded product with an amazing screen, But it is still running Samsungs software & the price of the S8+ is quite frankly horrible.

Huawei as much as their phones are nice & cheap, MIUI is trash (even if it has been improved)

Pixel, If it is anything like the first Pixel then it is a no go for me, As good as the camera & software are those bezels are like something from the early 90's.

HTC less said about them the better.

Motorola, After the problems I had with their customer services and repair centers. Plus now being owned by Lenovo who want to chuck out 2000000000+ phones a year & not bother updating them (Moto G 3rd Gen still on January last year security patch) They are now an instant no, That is from being one of my favourite OEMs in the last few years.

OnePlus looks decent but I don't like buttons/finger print scanners on the front.

iPhone well I like the looks of it but no headphone jack & no open source it is a no go for me. Again though the bezels & fingerprint scanner on the front.

I think if priced competitively it will sell fairly well but I feel as though the Nokia brand has been tarnished since the Microsoft era, I think a lot of people will be put off by that without knowing any better.

Soldato
Fingers crossed those renders are true, Absolutely lost on what phone to get nowadays.

LG have messed up by not including the same features globally, I'd have liked a Hi-FI Quad DAC. Sadly they are only putting that in the Asian market so that is me out on that one.

Samsung a well rounded product with an amazing screen, But it is still running Samsungs software & the price of the S8+ is quite frankly horrible.

Huawei as much as their phones are nice & cheap, MIUI is trash (even if it has been improved)

Pixel, If it is anything like the first Pixel then it is a no go for me, As good as the camera & software are those bezels are like something from the early 90's.

HTC less said about them the better.

Motorola, After the problems I had with their customer services and repair centers. Plus now being owned by Lenovo who want to chuck out 2000000000+ phones a year & not bother updating them (Moto G 3rd Gen still on January last year security patch) They are now an instant no, That is from being one of my favourite OEMs in the last few years.

OnePlus looks decent but I don't like buttons/finger print scanners on the front.

iPhone well I like the looks of it but no headphone jack & no open source it is a no go for me. Again though the bezels & fingerprint scanner on the front.

I think if priced competitively it will sell fairly well but I feel as though the Nokia brand has been tarnished since the Microsoft era, I think a lot of people will be put off by that without knowing any better.

Tanst not true..I just ordered the V20 and checked, it has the quad dac, its just not tuned by B&O and doesn't have the B&O logo on the phone.

Soldato
Am I right in thinking that the entirety of the OP is based on unsubstantiated rumour and fan renders based on sketches that could have come from anywhere?

Man of Honour
OP
Yes and no.

Yes because they're rumours.

Nobecause everyone said the same thing about the Galaxy S8 in its early rumour phase, and look at that device. A Samsung without front logo? No way! A Samsung without a home button? No way! And so on.

Given the current phones like Mii Mix, G6 and S8, there's no doubt the Nokia 9 will look very much like the renders shown in my eyes.

Bezel free displays is the flagship trend this year, and Nokia are releasing at least one flagship which we already know.

My post is based on observing online chatter and seeing what has already come out and what is reasonable to expect in a new flagship Nokia given what is currently possible.

It's a reasonably educated predicion, if you will.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong - I am interested in rumours and speculation, but there's a difference between "what people would like to see" and information that comes from reputable sources.

Man of Honour
OP
I think your level of buzzkill is quite frankly disturbing :p

The G6 has its issues and the S8 can no longer have the Bixby button remapped, and battery life is only marginally better than the S7.

We need this. We need Nokia back.

Soldato
It's a shame they released the 6 first, because it looks like an outstanding mid-ranger. If they'd had a flagship out I'd have been interested. As it is I've been pushed into an S8+

Man of Honour
OP
Most likely two main reasons why the 6 came first.

1: The flagships were still in development. Nokia may be playing it safe and not releasing a flagship device until it is fully ready to be labelled as such.

2: Samsung had bought out all initial units of the SD835.

Obviously the latter plays a strong role in this, but number 1 bodes well for consumers as it could mean we get a well thought out device without any compromises.

Soldato
It's less about lenses these days due to the high quality of off the shelf lenses anyway as evidenced on competing flagships over the past 24 months. It's more to do with the sensor and integrated RAM now.

This is true, and the main reason why phones these days are quite generic usually only separated by a newer chipset, in-house software optimisations etc.

Last edited:
Don
I really hope Nokia can pull off their resurrection. I fear that they won't though. All people seem to care about these days are Samsung or Apple, to the point where Samsung is synonymous with Android. I actually heard two kids at school a while back discussing phones. One had an HTC and the other was saying, "Yeah, it's got Samsung on it though so it's good" (referring to the OS).

Soldato
The 6 looks beautiful so if the flagship model is designed anything like that I will be getting it.

Nokia hardware with android = everything I want.

Back
Top Bottom