The rusedski match

Soldato
OP
Umpire is an idiot. He decided that Roddick should be given the point, then hesitated once questioned. Then due to arrogance he refused to change his mind. He knew he was wrong, thats why he did not say anything to Greg when he was swearing. Normally the Umpire will tell the player to basically refrain themselve etc. The umpire did nothing!

Was damn good swearing, got in the famous "F" words many a time. As well as referring to the person who shouted "out" as a word which rhymes with banker!

right someone with the knowledge and webspace, please...

SET UP A WEBSITE

Lets start a petition.

The Sun or Daily Mirror will deffo feature it as a small 1cm sq. with the website.

Com on do it for greg. As prev. said, he is passionate, in fact imo England's only passionate top level tennis player.

Permabanned
I don't think that umpire spoke English. He wasn't English or American (duh) and he looked kinda of Spanish. He wouldn't have taken that ownage from Greg if he spoke English :D OMG! How could they fine him for that, it was classic!!!!

About Hantuchova: She does not look well at all. I don't know how or why she is playing tennis in that physical state. It's clearly affecting her mentally as well, she was crying, or about to cry, for the whole of the third set!! Well played to that Japanese laydee, she played well too.

Don
How does the "order of play" generally work ? , do players normally play on alternate days , I'm going Friday and by the looks of it it wont be worth the effort as I wont get to see any interesting matches

Soldato
I haven't been able to hear the outburst :( but from all accounts sounds like it was a cracker :D Greg should have held it together, but after such a glaring mistake by the pillock of an umpire, you get angry and yor focus goes completely out of the window, and by the time you have regained it it is too late.

It happens to the best players, even seen Sampras who is usually about as emotional as a rock, loose it and then go on to lose games because his focus goes.

Permabanned
Originally posted by JohnnyKnoxville
fine the empire didn't do his job on one shot big deal, rusedski is a loser - he cries about one shot rather than concentrating on the game.
next up henman LOL, nearly as bad

Loser eh? ,lets compare bank balances and then decide ;)
He was unlucky enough to come up against the poss/prob champion in the second round.Just cos him n' Henman aren't the best players in the world doesn't mean they are poor players -we expect too much of them thats all

Permabanned
Originally posted by Dtab
Damn work :( ,i missed that match,and i expect Gregs outburst will be severely edited on the highlights :(

wayhey,the beeb played it pretty well unedited in the highlights,good on 'em :)

safe to say,i think he was a bit miffed :)

Soldato
Good on ya Greg :D :D :D

Didn't see the highlights but did watch it live. Thought his language was hilarious and I could just imagine the look on the producers faces as it went on. I couldn't believe they didn't 'pull the switch' as it were or cut the sound. Best **** up I have ever heard on live TV or radio. Bet the Ball Boy/Girl who was stood 3 ft in front of him was crapping themselves!

Gutted he let it get to him so much, had been a fantastic game and he was on his way to claim that set.

Could anyone here imagine loosing it at work and being fined the cost of a small sports car! John Mac Enroe guessed he hap payed a quater of a million dollars in fines over his career :eek:

Soldato
the problem is that Greg let an incident that wouldnt have affected the outcome throw his entire game,

hypothetically - they replay the point a man who hasnt lost a service game to that point is serving at 30-15 up, safe money is on him serving out the match, then rusedski is serving at 5-3 up for the set????

also what is the umpire supposed to do Roddick at the other end of the court thought it was a crowd call, and if there is any uncertainty then greg should have played on until it was sure.

Sorry, but i've got to side on the other side and say rusedski was a muppet and after teh confrontation A) was lucky to be allowed to continue with the roasting he gave the umpire and B) was crazy to let it affect his game that much on a point that didnt matter.

After that point greg just bottled it and let roddick win, he lost all concentration which at that level is unnacceptable.

Permabanned
Originally posted by TomWilko
F-ing pillacks the people who shout. But its good to see we still have at least one passionate sports star left who ain't in it just for the money.

As Johnny Mac said afterwards, we need more racket throwing. It is boring watching Tim Henman, he shows no emotion at all. I'd much rather watch a match where players get angry, or start shouting at umpires. It gets the crowd more involved too.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

...I just picked THIS story up on google. I hate sports commentators that shame our sports stars like this, did this guy ever bother to put himself in the tennis players shoes before writing. This is why i don't read newspapers, cos u gotta put up with this kind of sh*te :rolleyes: :mad:

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Originally posted by jailbird
As Johnny Mac said afterwards, we need more racket throwing. It is boring watching Tim Henman, he shows no emotion at all. I'd much rather watch a match where players get angry, or start shouting at umpires. It gets the crowd more involved too.

Yeh i totally agree with that, we don't have any emotion in many games and we rely on tennis keeping us interested! Greg and Roddick were BOTH seriously pumped up yesterday and it was brilliant watching them both in the first two sets trying to get the momentum goin from the crowd. Shame it ended like it did :mad: Stupid Umpire

Soldato
^ Obviously has never believed in anything enough to get in the least emotional about it :rolleyes:

No matter what the point situation - making such a MASSIVE error as the umpire made, action should be taken. I dont understand how football referees and tennis umpires like this that make such huge mistakes get away with it? Make a mistake of that kind of scale in a regular job and you'd be fired. I dont understand it.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Thats totally right. Who in their right mind could say that one point, that one moment did not affect the match. The umpire did not do his job properly because Roddick was clearly as miffed about it as Rusedski was. I think even he would have re-taken the point if asked.

As for 'he shouldn't have let it get to him' comments, how could he not?? He did get very angry and was right to, he knew he had now loast his concentration. Its the second round at Wimbledon after all, he lost the first two sets on tie breaks, he knows if he wins that match there is nothing stopping him getting to at least the semi's. Its to right he fights for every point all the time, otherwise what the point in playing!

I feel i am argueing the same thing over and over, but i am just soooo mad this kind if thing only seems to happen to British sports stars!!

Soldato
at the end of the day he is a professional sportsman and should distance himself from distractions, he is playing at the top of his sport and if you allow things like that to disturb you too much, then you will never make it to the top.

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Precisely. Minus the commentators from the replay and that call sounded exactly like it was from a line judge. It happened in the Henman match today, and after the umpire said 'no shouting' there was just the hint of a smile on Tims face, kinda funny :)

Soldato
Aha! Wasnt just me then! I swear i heard calls coming from the crowd because they were coming exactly as the ball landed - as opposed to slightly after as it would if it were a line judge. I remember it happening at least 3 times, luckily when it was out though. Cant these people just **** off and go home?

Permabanned
Stupid selfish idiots are gonna do that now just for attention and to try and get one of the players started, like Rusedski did. It's not fair to the players, or the umpire who is pretty much powerless. An official should look out for them and have them removed and banned from Wimbledon for that sort of behaviour, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom