• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX 7900 GRE as of 20/03/2024 - Not such a flawed product?

Caporegime
Tbh they recommended the GRE recently in their xInfinityRe-re-re-re-re-review of the GRE.

Not at first, first they used the same reference card they pulled out of a pre-build and tried to say it was the same card and drew the same conclusion, that being its no better than the RX 7800 XT and more expensive, don't buy it.

Of course its not the same card, you cannot buy the card they had, AMD even sent them the correct card and they ignored it, that was the card they rereviewed. And they still tried to claim the OEM only card they used was the same as what you could by retail, that the reason the AIB one AMD sent them was a faster version and shouldn't be used for reviews.

They are a pair of weasels. They are different cards, the one AMD sent them is the real one, the one they initially tried to use you cannot even buy.

Last edited:
Associate
You managed to find one in the UK at a decent price?
I'm still on the fence with the steel legend for some reason, maybe the 50A memory chips suggest cost cutting elsewhere.
If the pulse comes back into stock at £529 then I might just bite the bullet and risk having to modify my case although coming around to the idea of a new case anyway.

This is the reason i'm considering the 7800 XT over the GRE. The decent cards are too expensive and I don't fancy a 10p 2 fan cooler. wonder if they are limiting stock or it they are selling really well

Caporegime
This is the reason i'm considering the 7800 XT over the GRE. The decent cards are too expensive and I don't fancy a 10p 2 fan cooler. wonder if they are limiting stock or it they are selling really well

I have the 2 fan 7800 XT Pulse, as i said here its a good cooler / card.

I'd also like to shout out to Sapphire.

Sapphire RX 7800 XT Pulse.

The GPU its replaced was an MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X, in comparison the cooler is near twice the size and it had a step up larger fans than the Pulse.

Handling the Pulse its obviously not a high end model, that's the Nitro +, no lighting, plastic shroud, but still quality, its not that cheap brittle plastic, i'm not a plastics expert but its obviously a good quality plastic, a metal backplate and, this is rare on any GPU, the back side of the PCB has thermal pads joining it with the under side of that backplate, again you don't even find this on a lot of high end models.

To my _____ amazement this pint size cooler ran this 260 watt GPU cooler and quieter than the very much larger 230 watt MSI 2070S, sub 65c and inaudible, like 18% fan speed. even increasing the fan curve and pushing a 330 watt OC it was still cool and quiet, i don't know how they did that with a cooler that makes the card small enough to fit comfortably in a shoebox case but they have, and its their entry level model.

No doubt about it Sapphire are my go to brand with GPU's, the EVGA of AMD. For sure...

BUT... the 7900 GRE does have a higher board power and if i'm overclocking that one i would want the larger 3 fan cooler, which the 7900 GRE does come with, given that its also a faster GPU i think the 10% higher cost is worth it.

But yeah.... do wait for the Sapphire one, Asrock TBH is probably the last version i would buy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There is another thing that i have noticed with the Sapphire one.

The bottom half on the memory IC's at the PCIe slot area are glued, there is a reason to do this, the weight of the card does over time, years, deform the PCB, that's when the Memory IC's start to peal away from the PCB, over time and then the card briks, this is the thing that sometimes a reflow might fix.

Attention to detail.

Associate
I have the 2 fan 7800 XT Pulse, as i said here its a good cooler / card.

BUT... the 7900 GRE does have a higher board power and if i'm overclocking that one i would want the larger 3 fan cooler, which the 7900 GRE does come with, given that its also a faster GPU i think the 10% higher cost is worth it.

But yeah.... do wait for the Sapphire one, Asrock TBH is probably the last version i would buy.

can get either the red devil or nitro plus 7800XT for £20 more than the pulse. don't really see the extra cash being worth it looking at different reviews. The red devil would be good because I currently had a red devil and the wife wouldnt be able to tell the difference :cry:

Associate
You managed to find one in the UK at a decent price?
I'm still on the fence with the steel legend for some reason, maybe the 50A memory chips suggest cost cutting elsewhere.
If the pulse comes back into stock at £529 then I might just bite the bullet and risk having to modify my case although coming around to the idea of a new case anyway.

I did.... £527 for the gigabyte. Feels like a solid, well built card.

Soldato
OP
ONE vendor with ONE card does not make an official pricedrop, they may just have had a glut and XFX are supporting the vendor to clear a number of cards. Same with the XTX imo, it's not a popular card model.
Nothing wrong with XFX cards from what I've seen in reviews. Decent cooling generally.

Soldato
OP
Also this is a nice comparison involving the GRE & XT (all numbers for stock and tuned);

It's a good video with some useful performance stats to compare. The overclocked results particularly.

It's a bit odd how he includes results with AMD's cards with SAM off though, I don't think anyone would play with SAM off, AMD's drivers perform better with it on pretty much always.

Also, the RTX 4070 TI Super is very expensive, I think the cheaper RTX 4070 TI would have been a better comparison (cheapest cards are between £600-£650).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Also this is a nice comparison involving the GRE & XT (all numbers for stock and tuned);

The 7900 GRE has the same performance as the 4070 Ti Super, which for £550 vs £800 i find quite astonishing...
These GPU's do clock nice, the 7800 XT is = to a 4070 Ti OC vs OC.

And yes @g67575 why would you not have SAM enabled? it does seem a completely useless metric to have that off on the charts.
Having said that i wonder how many tech jurnoes do have that off in their reviews.

BYrMkc5.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wonder if we might be heading for a earlier than expected release of RDNA4 graphics cards? Like August/September 2024?

Will be interesting to see what they release, that's faster than a RX 7900 XTX.

Seems a safe bet that the x900 XT class GPUs will be faster, and they might end up besting a RTX 4090 as well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wonder if we might be heading for a earlier than expected release of RDNA4 graphics cards? Like August/September 2024?

Will be interesting to see what they release, that's faster than a RX 7900 XTX.

Seems a safe bet that the x900 XT class GPUs will be faster.

The 7900 XTX launched in early November 2022, by September it will be nearly 2 years old, the 6900 XT was launch less than 2 years before it in December 2020.

So its about the right time.

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair, the 4070ti super is not a bad card, I almost bought one but for me the 7900GRE offers far better value unless you care about PT and I don't. In games where RT is used but not PT then the 7900GRE is good enough and I really like the adrenaline software suite.

Caporegime
To be fair, the 4070ti super is not a bad card, I almost bought one but for me the 7900GRE offers far better value unless you care about PT and I don't. In games where RT is used but not PT then the 7900GRE is good enough and I really like the adrenaline software suite.
Oh for sure, it is a good card, Its just far too expensive, yes it has better RT performance and DLSS, but are those things really worth £250?

I look at it this way for mine, they way i would run both my card is just as fast in raster as a 4070 Ti and just as good as a 4060 Ti in RT, the 16GB version of that is only £30 cheaper.

IMO Nvidia don't have an argument for RT anymore because with RDNA 3 RT is not 'that' bad and for the price...

Caporegime
didn't get his memory over 2400mhz mind you.

Yeah not on the GRE, which is odd, they all have the same 20 GB/s Memory IC's, its like AMD bought 10 million of them in bulk and use them on everything regardless of how fast the memory is set out of the box.

He has the 7900 XT running at 2650, that's 21.2 GB/s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom