• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
No where near as good as the nitro cooler from what I've heard so far with mine, it can get quite loud

Thanks, my old sapphire hd5850 card was silent under load and that is something I want again if possible. Had to remove it a while back and just use igpu because it did not support 3840x1600.

Associate
Currently have i5 2500k
Would this card bottleneck or still better over buying the RX590? (It’s only £40 more)
I’m coming from a 7950 and gaming at 1080p (last throw of dice before having to do a full build) hope it will last another 2 years

Associate
Currently have i5 2500k
Would this card bottleneck or still better over buying the RX590? (It’s only £40 more)
I’m coming from a 7950 and gaming at 1080p (last throw of dice before having to do a full build) hope it will last another 2 years

Both cards are going to bottleneck, so then it comes down to price. You really need a new build sooner rather than later though, as your CPU is limiting your options.

Soldato
Iam considering buying this card and I am interested in what you stated about CPU's bottlenecking the GFX card performance. I currently have an i7 4820k CPU with 16bg Ram, will this strangle the card?

Soldato
Sorted it now, I previously didnt touched the Frequency slider. Strangely mine prefers to be OC'd to 1600, with 1050 P6 and 1100 P7 and then it sits in low 70C's

If I leave the frequency slider alone it sits around 1550mhz but temps are the same, strange as I would prefer to get temps down but it refuses which is fair enough, 1600mhz in the low 70C's is more than fine
If you really after lower noise level (fan speeding at slower speed) and lower temp, you could instead try lowering the P6 and P7 voltage down to 1000~1025mV, and see what's the max stable clock it can it can reach.

Associate
Both cards are going to bottleneck, so then it comes down to price. You really need a new build sooner rather than later though, as your CPU is limiting your options.

Without going for an extreme build to support 2080TI etc.
If looking for something to support a Vega56, what sort of money are we talking. Is this a £1k+ build time?

If so I may hold off until the summer and next wave of CPU and GFX card and just buy Division 2 for my PS4. Be loads cheaper at this point as current build plays all my library of steam games from a few years back at max settings. I don’t have as much time for gaming so cost v time would be quite a lot compared to sticking with more costly console games.

It would seem I would be better just keeping kB and mouse and doing everything including a new monitor, so prob a £2k upgrade. Having just got a new LG OLED TV, not sure another few k is the wisest moves just yet.

Maybe a RX580 could tied me over another 12 months and patch me up compared to my 7950. You reckon i5 and a RX580 would get decent frames and better quality over a PS4? Or have I really finally hit the ‘All-or-nothing’ stage?

Soldato
Without going for an extreme build to support 2080TI etc.
If looking for something to support a Vega56, what sort of money are we talking. Is this a £1k+ build time?

If so I may hold off until the summer and next wave of CPU and GFX card and just buy Division 2 for my PS4. Be loads cheaper at this point as current build plays all my library of steam games from a few years back at max settings. I don’t have as much time for gaming so cost v time would be quite a lot compared to sticking with more costly console games.

It would seem I would be better just keeping kB and mouse and doing everything including a new monitor, so prob a £2k upgrade. Having just got a new LG OLED TV, not sure another few k is the wisest moves just yet.

Maybe a RX580 could tied me over another 12 months and patch me up compared to my 7950. You reckon i5 and a RX580 would get decent frames and better quality over a PS4? Or have I really finally hit the ‘All-or-nothing’ stage?

First of all, even an RX 480 will trump anything a PS4 Pro can do (let alone the base version). Secondly, I think it would be great to jump on the V56 while it's heavily discounted (and since you want Division 2, you get that as well - a good saving). And play on your OLED! The system will definitely do a good job even with just an i5 2500k, especially at 4K. You won't hold 60 fps true, but so what, it will still play superior to the console versions by MILES. Then you can upgrade to Zen 2 in Summer/Fall when those launch. Can probably get away with just £700-800 for CPU + Mobo + Ram. Besides, you can always put your OLED to run at 1080p 120hz and play that way for better framerates.

Associate
First of all, even an RX 480 will trump anything a PS4 Pro can do (let alone the base version). Secondly, I think it would be great to jump on the V56 while it's heavily discounted (and since you want Division 2, you get that as well - a good saving). And play on your OLED! The system will definitely do a good job even with just an i5 2500k, especially at 4K. You won't hold 60 fps true, but so what, it will still play superior to the console versions by MILES. Then you can upgrade to Zen 2 in Summer/Fall when those launch. Can probably get away with just £700-800 for CPU + Mobo + Ram. Besides, you can always put your OLED to run at 1080p 120hz and play that way for better framerates.

Thanks buddy. My monitor is only 1080p, however, good point, I could see how it ran on my 65 oled, it would look like next gen. I only currently have standard PS4. I considered the Pro, but then thought, if I spent that money towards my current PC, it may give better results. I think standard PS4 will be locked to 30fps.
Vega 54 when looking at comparisons seems to be a few years old, however like you said. Maybe get Vega 54, 6 months time do the rest and then another 6-12months after that, the next graphics card and should be set till 2024ish ha.
Thanks for the input

Soldato
If you really after lower noise level (fan speeding at slower speed) and lower temp, you could instead try lowering the P6 and P7 voltage down to 1000~1025mV, and see what's the max stable clock it can it can reach.

I'm bored of messing with it now, just want to game so I've upped the power limit to +50% set P6 at 1000 and P7 at 1050 and the clocks sit around 1540 in Heaven at high 60's low 70's on the Auto fan profile which targets 72 so I dont know how so many people are getting mid to low 60's they must be using custom fan curves because googling suggests low 70's is normal

With the OC I was getting much better minimum FPS with the the standard fan profile is set at 72 but the temps were hitting mid 70's and the fans were getting too loud and I want to keep the auto profile as I want auto stop enabled

Soldato
Before I sent mine back due to horrible coil whine I was +50 on power and sitting at just under 1600mhz and 900mhz on the ram. Temps in the low 70’s.

Perfectly acceptable and the performance was superb. Just a shame it screamed like a cat caught in a net.
Hopefully the replacement will be better

Associate
Tried this last night, the highest clock I can get is 1545 with p6 at 1050 and p7 at 1125

Any higher or lower and the clocks drop, temps at low 70's with auto fan

Memory is happy at 900 not tried higher than that for memory

It's odd I feel like I'm missing something, what about all the other p states are they just irrelevant? Is it worth upping the clock speeds on p6 and p7? The card doesn't crash at all it didn't crash once all evening when I was changing p states, i can drop them down to 950 on p6 and it won't crash it just won't enter that p state the clocks just drop to the p state before

What am I missing can't help but think I'm missing something
Yes, definitely push the clock speeds on P6 and P7, push P7 first then you can just use an old stable P7 setting for P6 - have something like heaven running in windowed so it will crash out if you push too far.
You can play with dropping drop the P7 voltage.
Play around til you're getting a fairly constant clock speed in the 1600's at what seems a reasonably low voltage for you.
As you've found out - push the powerslider to +50%

Associate
I'm bored of messing with it now, just want to game so I've upped the power limit to +50% set P6 at 1000 and P7 at 1050 and the clocks sit around 1540 in Heaven at high 60's low 70's on the Auto fan profile which targets 72 so I dont know how so many people are getting mid to low 60's they must be using custom fan curves because googling suggests low 70's is normal

With the OC I was getting much better minimum FPS with the the standard fan profile is set at 72 but the temps were hitting mid 70's and the fans were getting too loud and I want to keep the auto profile as I want auto stop enabled
Just read that - ignore my previous post.
TBH, I don't see any real world difference between gaming around 1540mhz and at over 1600 on my V64 nitro+
For benchmarks, yeah, gaming FPS and feel, no.
Pushing the memory will improve performance though - as long as it's stable (samsung will do 1100mhz, on a 64 at least)

Soldato
Just read that - ignore my previous post.
TBH, I don't see any real world difference between gaming around 1540mhz and at over 1600 on my V64 nitro+
For benchmarks, yeah, gaming FPS and feel, no.
Pushing the memory will improve performance though - as long as it's stable (samsung will do 1100mhz, on a 64 at least)

Yeah, playing far cry 4 at the moment and it doesn't seem to matter if the core is at 1600 or 1540 the FPS is similar and it's smooth so might as well use the standard clocks

I'm now wondering if the standard CPU downdraft cooler has an effect on CPU temps, it blows hot air all around the case and onto the top of GPU, I might upgrade it sooner than I planned out of curiosity

Last edited:
Associate
Hey, so I got the MSI 56 with the blower type cooler.. the noise is taking some getting used to but it is much better since I lowered the mV on state 5/6/7 to just 1000 it seems stable after a hefty world of tanks session.

My only concern is its running around 72-75C is this too hot?

Me too, now in looking for a psu as my old psu not up to the task

Associate
Yeah, playing far cry 4 at the moment and it doesn't seem to matter if the core is at 1600 or 1540 the FPS is similar and it's smooth so might as well use the standard clocks

I'm now wondering if the standard CPU downdraft cooler has an effect on CPU temps, it blows hot air all around the case and onto the top of GPU, I might upgrade it sooner than I planned out of curiosity
Didn't think of that - I'm using a 240 aio cooler on my CPU.

Associate
Need help, my pulse v56 is ignoring undervolts and even staying at 1.1v on idle since I switched to 144hz.

If I switch back to 60hz it drops to 900mv idle where it should be at and p6 1020 and p7 1040 is working, it's just when I go 144hz the card stays at 1.1v which is making it hotter

Back
Top Bottom