• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
I am close to buying a Vega 56 but I am really struggling to justify it from a "head" perspective (vs. a 1070ti). For a start, the 1070ti in question is 9% cheaper than the MSI Vega 56 "Airboost" I would get. My case is a Enthoo Evolv ITX so the AMD blower card is an advantage over the down facing fans on the 1070ti that would be starved by the PSU right below the card.

Aside from owning a freesync monitor, what are the reasons for going with one over a 1070 ti from a pure numbers perspective? I must admit I am struggling. It makes no sense to pay more for the objectively "worse" card.

I currently play Planet Coaster and other desktop games on my main 1440p monitor that is not freesync. Also I play Forza 7 and will be getting Forza Horizon 4 when it arrives. I play this/will play this on a 1080p freesync monitor attached to my racing sim.

Soldato
I have owned many cwrds from both sides since the 8800 back in the day. I own a Vega card as I was sick of nvidias antics. The Vega 56 card is a great card and I upgraded to a freesync monitor. Flash a Vega 64 bios in to it and use the iChill feature in the settings and enjoy Forza in full flow. The 56 is a very capable card. With freesync you'll see no difference over a 1070Ti card.

Associate
Well I bought the Vega 56 Airboost. Will post a photo when it arrives so I can be added to roll call! Had my R9 290 for nearly 4 years now, and I haven't had any other card since then. Exciting :)

Soldato
Well I bought the Vega 56 Airboost. Will post a photo when it arrives so I can be added to roll call! Had my R9 290 for nearly 4 years now, and I haven't had any other card since then. Exciting :)

If you have space in the itx box, put a fan pushing air towards the fan cooler. it will help a lot in tight conditions.

Associate
If you have space in the itx box, put a fan pushing air towards the fan cooler. it will help a lot in tight conditions.

The Evolv ITX has a 200mm fan in the front panel of the case that blows directly into the front of the GPU. I am hoping that the blower cooler is going to be a good match compared to an open air cooler in this case.

Soldato
Hi guys, I've joined the club.

Question - before removing my RX 570 is there a 'proper' way on installed the new Vega card i.e. do I have to uninstall the RX (even though they use the same driver)?

I have Googled it, but information is varied and conflicting!

Associate
I would run the AMD driver removal tool whilst the 570 is still installed the restart the PC. Then shut down and replace 570 for Vega. Then boot and download/install the latest driver for the Vega.

Caporegime
Ryzen 2700x, Asus ROG Crosshair vii.

It now boots to a blue screen saying it can't repair.

Did the driver corrupt windows10?
System restore in safe mode, if you can get to that.

No need to run anything other than the regular driver uninstaller that you use to install/uninstall the drivers.

Soldato
Okay, so this is weird - it reported an error file on E:\windows which doesn't exist, so I've uplugged my 2 SSDs and it now boots.

OS is on my M2E and that was set to boot device.

So, I'm in... but I have no idea what just happened!

Associate
I am about to go through the very same process with my new Vega 56. Feel a bit bad as I suggested the AMD driver cleaner! I will do the AMD driver cleaner as well in the interest of fairness :p

Please add me to the roll of honour Kaapstad :)

kL2FqP99WBNFYqe8pzoXcefOm9c3OeIK3GdLsRZ3un7kq4Fr6Lm8Ayw_Rk9UXLwb28q3SyAX32uI9-D2-x5ftE6fXc3B1aEVIkxsMaXlda2Fmg2bzL3efayQ9Bg3FxyUSg0YP0amMxTLFy89eid39IQfeOut3v36U7rsSdtG_swlYz_vD_yR8t0YAO_Tm9R_5giUf_ackeKswjr_ATsA1npqHfjiP-OhWIm03yoiQ36HpChutv95TNEWkG_KBtsEIVQQvP_baa0ADUrfF1KoXOy2mmv6uv5Q3UdhRinWavDwzyP7QAqca7gM-pfoL1rloqtT2xde5xs9p7wqh1brNH-VLTgAWIW5vrON6P6pcOh8sH-2a26TrzVB6GYP2xan5qdayIWZnU9nv8OyIOZySvzkT0Y4VLxJu4pwOJsrSOgT5m27RQAy7tpWZk0-qLGbo3VTD-B_0YUnNAlkfgyVupm4p9JwPN9HsW5AeCmf5gY6QuXle0zGwZEOexQFSaxec5Oa2_dphO4ldw2Xs4aVdvZ3-jOmcuLGFdlymnTZ2_bsQUZeOGyFgodiHGgjcs8m7kJMxCZRiUM9YUeGgVw4bpFWS5Yt_uGlp9RJ0qk=w1002-h564-no

Soldato
Don't feel bad, I'm back and working now, weird how unplugging drives fixed Windows.

I've since plugged them back in and all okay.

Now, what's the best way to undervolt is it still WattTool or is Wattman fully stable to do so?

Associate
I am about to go through the very same process with my new Vega 56. Feel a bit bad as I suggested the AMD driver cleaner! I will do the AMD driver cleaner as well in the interest of fairness :p

GZ:) I used DDU when I switched from my RX 480 to Vega 56 with no probs.

Now, what's the best way to undervolt is it still WattTool or is Wattman fully stable to do so?

I have no probs with Wattman. Sometimes it reverts to balanced but it's easy to save a profile. OverdriveNtool is popular too.

Soldato
This card is good.

I've undervolted to 1v (1000), stock fan settings, core at 1550 (stock OC) and ram at 950 (stock volts).

Just hit 23572 in 3dmark and stable.

Overlay shows power down at 193-221w.

I'm happy, after the earlier mishap!

Edit: watts are lower than expected, isn't stock like 300?

I haven't overclocked the core as I don't want high watt/heat.

Last edited:
Associate
This card is good.

I've undervolted to 1v (1000), stock fan settings, core at 1550 (stock OC) and ram at 950 (stock volts).

Just hit 23572 in 3dmark and stable.

Overlay shows power down at 193-221w.

I'm happy, after the earlier mishap!

Edit: watts are lower than expected, isn't stock like 300?

I haven't overclocked the core as I don't want high watt/heat.

I don't think so. Since you have undervolted and you have not overclocked that seems reasonable. It will use 300W if you've overclocked and turned the power limit up.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-rx-vega-56,5202-21.html

At least if I am understanding the chart correctly there.

Back
Top Bottom