• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Associate
Having just moved from a great overclocking CPU in my R7 1700 I'm curious as to what people are achieving with their new R5 3600? I'm yet to have a proper go at mine.

What Motherboard?
What Volts?
Highest stable Clock Speed?
Temperature?

Associate
OP
There is no way emodan is running at 1.125v. These chips require at least 1.35v for 4.2Ghz.

I'm blown away by the 3600 performance, highly recommend it and it will not bottleneck even a 2080ti so good for years to come.

I think the second '1' is meant to be a '3' looking at his cpu-z validation :)

Associate
OP
Doubt these have much headroom. Mine even runs hotter than I'd like. 75+ in IBT and 85+ in Prime 95.

Yeah Prime really hammers mine too under AIO.. instantly upto 85c with Prime95 reporting from Ryzen Master, I hope it's incorrectly read from the bet BIOS I'm using from MSI..

Associate
OP
I've tried adding an offset in BIOS, but my boost whilst running Cinebench puts the vCore at 1.375-1.4 @ 4075Ghz in Ryzen Master. Seems very high to me, albeit temp is only at 66c by the end of the multi-test.

edit: it has also taken 10c off my initial prime temp.

edit2: If I compare with cpu-z however this is showing 1.29-1.30 which seems more realistic.

vcores.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@kayone thinking of making the same 1700 > 3600 jump myself and just wondering whether you think it's worth it?

Absolutely in short.

The performance is great - I really don't think you'll be disappointed in whatever you do on your PC. I game so the single core performance around gaming element seals the deal for me.

For the price to upgrade too once you've sold your 1700 (if that's what you intend to do) it's an £80 layout for the 3600 - no brainier :)

Associate
OP
@kayone ahh great stuff. My AB350m ac/itx supports it although I may hold off until the next bios update as this one is apparently a bit temperamental

I'm on the beta BiOS from MSI on my B450, but its absolutely fine so far especially with the -75mV offset.

The only issues really are CAM software wont read my cpu temp correctly, seems to be locked at 50c.

Associate
OP
C7H

Auto

~4.35GHz, can be ACB depending on load, have also been to PBO+200MHz, but frequency bounce down can be bigger, so as current settings favour PBO+150MHz and gain more sustained all cores frequency of 4.35GHz in most loads I reckon that's sweet spot for my setup.

Usually averages ~50C max ~60C in Kahru RAM Test, averages ~67C max ~71C in RealBench, average/max ~74C P95 v29.8b3 with AVX/AVX2/FMA3/FMA4 using 160K in place FFT.

The runs of CB R15/R20 has my own 2700X with PE: Default and PBO: Enabled vs R5 3600 stock, PBO+75MHz, PBO+150MHz.
e.

Seems to be the best outcome using PBO+Boost Clock increase. What cooling are you using?

I am also seeing sub 1v vcore also now when idling.

Associate
OP
What speed memory are people pairing with their 3600? I've read the sweet spot is 3600mhz (1800mhz - along with the same for the fabric clock), so I have my mem overclocked to that, but cannot really say if this has increased performance or not.

Associate
OP
ive been reading up on that and that would explain the issue. Ive just done a BIOS update to the latest spec, updated Ryzen master and also gone and updated the AMD Chipset drivers too.

Im on a B450 Pro Carbon which is MSI, not ASUS. The basic bios they are using atm on the BETA bios and release bios for Ryzen 3000 is horrid, its like being back in 2005. Also every time I restart I have to clear CMOS... because BIOS issues.

MSI command centre works well but here the issue is that it doenst load my fan profiles until I tell it to, so startup is very loud.

Currently sat idle at 33 deg C though.

I have the same motherboard don't have the CMOS issue fortunately, that sounds a pain. I'm using the '17M' (Beta BIOS) which you're right, it's horrible to use. They have since released 18 if you haven't tried that yet - that may help your CMOS issue.

Associate
OP
I am considering getting the 3600, currently have a 1700. Has the change been worth it for you? Haven't done much research yet, but, did read that some people consider it just a sidegrade??

It's 100% worth the upgrade. My main focus is gaming so dropping cores was no issue for me and to be honest I'm only 300 points give or take from where my [email protected] was to my 3600 @ stock in cinebench multi-thread.

edit: and selling my 1700 to upgrade was around £80.. so easily worth it in my eyes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom