1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by almoststew1990, May 28, 2019.

  1. subbytna


    Joined: Oct 22, 2008

    Posts: 9,378

    Location: Belfast

    It is a belter of a CPU, even now it stacks up against other modern cpus when clocked to 4.5 or higher
  2. Fluke?


    Joined: Mar 28, 2006

    Posts: 951

    Location: South Glos

    2600(non k) to ryzen 3 3300x? Yes? No? Mostly gaming but not even that much these days sadly!
  3. seph_88


    Joined: Nov 22, 2019

    Posts: 13

    Location: Invsibileville

    I've got a 2700K SandyBridge here, which is kind of broke so it doesn't really go over 3.7GHZ anymore :D

    I wanted to wait for the new AMD graphics cards to come out before getting a CPU, which i guess means i can look also into the new 4000s. Annoyingly my GFX card (you're seeing a pattern here i know) is also recently decided to join the broke camp and keeps crashing my system.

    My motherboard had to be replaced as well 2 years ago, i managed to get a cheapy second hand one, which was also a slightly better version of my old one (score). So all in all, it's going well! I can limp along for a few more months, while i play on my phone or games on PC at 5 FPS if i wish.

    I mean it sounds like i've overtweaked the system to the point of destruction, but i assure you this is not the case, it sounds worse than it is.

    But yeah like everyone else, i'm really looking forward to the AMD releases later this year!
  4. Fyter


    Joined: May 25, 2012

    Posts: 119

    Got a 5820K @4.5 GHz and 16GB RAM, I had the itch but after some research will hold off until Zen 4 arrives (Ryzen 5000 series). 6 Cores and 12 Threads still perfectly fine for gaming, Haswell had decent IPC, even by towards standards when overclocked. If I was running 2080 ti @ 1080 on 144hz /240hz monitor then I guess CPU upgrade would be a good idea.
  5. Panos

    Perma Banned

    Joined: Nov 22, 2009

    Posts: 13,200

    Location: Under the hot sun.

    If you are on budget yes. However I would wait for B550 boards next month. You would be able to upgrade to Zen 3 and all way to 16 core CPUs, so makes amazing budget future proof system.
  6. Confused Stu


    Joined: Dec 27, 2009

    Posts: 2,655

    Location: Gillingham, Kent

    I've gone from a 4790k at 4.4 to a 3900x (and 16GB@2400 to 32GB@3600, and a SATA 840 Pro to a Sabrent Gen 4 NVMe). After selling my old parts, my old phone and a few other PC bits I had kicking around, the change didn't cost much.

    Performance wise, my Cinebench score has rocketed! Gaming at 4K with a 1080Ti I haven't noticed much of a difference at all, which is why I only upgraded because I have had the itch for months now and the cost was minimal.

    Booting into Windows itself actually takes less time, but the POST takes WAY longer than my old Haswell setup, which is annoying as my total start up time has actually increased. Wasn't expecting that.

    If you need to upgrade from a Haswell i7, go for it and you won't be sorry. If you can hang on for a while longer, or you're looking for gaming gains at higher resolutions, based on my personal experience I'd hold onto your current setup until the next release comes along and reassess when reviews show up.
  7. krooton


    Joined: May 9, 2004

    Posts: 25,958

    Location: Leafy outskirts of London

    Is this a crazy idea?

    I am still rocking a 4.6Ghz 2700k which I bought second-hand for £180 7 years ago.

    Based on current benchmarks, it is around stock 4770k speed or indeed a little bit slower than a more current i3-9100 (which is currently £140)

    So bang-for-buck this has been amazing, and I will be keeping the system as a dedicated Unraid/Plex SFF.

    Now I got this as basically the pinnacle of 1155 and mATX (I have the Maximus Gene V), with the only 'better' chip I could have without moving chipsets was a 3770k (which was kinda pointless).

    I am limited to mATX/mITX because space reasons, though I am now thinking I might have a big-brain idea.

    B550 boards get released, B450M's hopefully get a price-cut, and I pick up a Mortar Max (which is on of the few B450M boards that can do some overclocking) for sub-£90 and slap a 3600 in it.

    And see if I can get another 7 years usability out of it, overclocking a bit if needed. I would be re-purposing my Noctua D14 so still one of the best air coolers out there.

    Obviously if B550M boards come in at decent prices, then I would go with them for upgrade routes n whatnot, but I am not really about chasing performance each generation any more and I am sure a 3600 would do me fine for a long time.
  8. JohnStewart


    Joined: Dec 17, 2015

    Posts: 144

    I'm still running a 5820k at stock 3.3Ghz with 16Gb of the slowest DDR4 ram (2133Ghz). I use to run it at 4.3Ghz, but had two motherboard failures within 3 years so reverted to stock speeds and no problems since.
    Like most on this thread I've been thinking about updating for several generations of processors, but opted instead for faster SSD drives as they became available, new case, water cooler to reduce fan noise, new graphics card (1070Ti) etc.

    However, have recently used a 3600X based system for photography stuff (Lightroom and Photoshop) and noticed a significant speed difference, its definitely time to upgrade later this year if nothing fails before then. I'm going to wait and see what Zen3 brings and hopefully get a system that will do another 6 to 7 years.
  9. cuke2u

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Feb 27, 2006

    Posts: 2,471

    Location: East Sussex

    I am just in the process of upgrading my desktop that I purchased back in 2012, then an Intel i7-4820k, Asus Rampage Formula IV, 16gb ram, two SSD's.
    To as follows:
    Intel i9-9900k 3.6ghz,
    Asus ROG Strix Z390-F,
    32gb Team Group Night Hawk RGB(2x16),
    Corsair Hydro Series H100i Platinum RGB 240mm AIO,
    be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply.
    Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD,
    Lian Li Alpha 500x case.

    I'll transfer over my AMD RX Vega 56 GFX once I know the system's stable as I had an issue with the first CPU being delivered damaged and kept crashing and the case RGB fans refused to change colour. OC have been fantastic with their response and second to none.
    So will put it all back together and see where we are..
  10. PeegeeTips


    Joined: Jun 13, 2012

    Posts: 59

    My 5820k is still running well, but at five and half years of service it doesn't feel like a daft move to upgrade now (especially given lockdown boredom).

    Unfortunately, my i5-4440 HTPC is six years old and is not running well, so also going to replace that too! :)
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  11. Ayahuasca


    Joined: Apr 23, 2014

    Posts: 20,484

    Location: County Durham

    As above, 5820k still running at 4.5ghz. I want to try AMD but I think I might still hold out for the series after the one coming.
  12. Minstadave


    Joined: Jan 8, 2004

    Posts: 26,241

    Location: Rutland

    Sensible as this point. Or pick up a cheap 3900X when people move to Zen 3.

    Its only really in heavy LR work and heat output that I see a noticeable difference over my 5820K with my 3900X.
  13. LeMson


    Joined: Mar 21, 2012

    Posts: 3,053

    I got a tomahawk max for 90 quid and some 8pack ram, and I'm moving from a 5820k at 4.5ghz to a 3600, GTAV fps is up from 80ish to 100ish and it's smoother-er. Power consumption is also a lot lower, and I can drop in a new zen 3 a year from now, so I'm happy. 5820k drops to second comp replacing an old xeon setup

    edit: prolly wont be a year from now but at launch, yolo!
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  14. PeegeeTips


    Joined: Jun 13, 2012

    Posts: 59

    i also bought a 3600 for £144, just not sure at this point whether it is going into main PC (with x570 tomahawk) or htpc (with B550 itx).

    whichever one it is will be temporary, depending on timing and performance of Renoir-desktop and price-cuts on 8c/16t matisse... I would like to exceed new console performance, but also want AV1+HDMI2.1 on htpc.