The SFF Case Gallery And Specs Thread

Thought that I would give you guys a quick sneak peak of my new SFF server before I do my build log:

dscn2445p.jpg

Rebuilding the RAID 5 array...

Stelly

6728b.jpg

Fitted with a Gigabyte H61N-USB3, Intel G840, 4GB of DDR3 and a 60GB SSD this little system flies through everyday tasks and is completely fanless. Running Ubuntu 12.04

Very nice. Very interesting. Five years ago I joined this site to help me build my first PC, based on an E6750 core 2 duo. It's still going strong with only a few minor upgrades over that time. Now I'm thinking of replacing it with a small form factor model exactly like yours. The most I'll ever ask of it is photo (RAW) processing with Lightroom V4.0. Would the G840 be up to it? I've done a compare on the Intel site and it does look as if the G840 has the edge on the E6750, but not sure if it's too much of a compromise given the amazing new chips I could choose from if I stuck with standard case designs. Any thoughts welcome. (Well, not ANY thoughts....)

Very nice. Very interesting. Five years ago I joined this site to help me build my first PC, based on an E6750 core 2 duo. It's still going strong with only a few minor upgrades over that time. Now I'm thinking of replacing it with a small form factor model exactly like yours. The most I'll ever ask of it is photo (RAW) processing with Lightroom V4.0. Would the G840 be up to it? I've done a compare on the Intel site and it does look as if the G840 has the edge on the E6750, but not sure if it's too much of a compromise given the amazing new chips I could choose from if I stuck with standard case designs. Any thoughts welcome. (Well, not ANY thoughts....)
You may find these two threads helpful:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18438218

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18407837

I've done a compare on the Intel site and it does look as if the G840 has the edge on the E6750, but not sure if it's too much of a compromise given the amazing new chips I could choose from if I stuck with standard case designs. Any thoughts welcome. (Well, not ANY thoughts....)
Very much so. The new FC8 EVO case is specced to support more powerful CPUs than the one I'm using so if I were building this system today with a view to supporting lightroom I'd shoot for one of those, a Z77 board and a 3570k. I've not tested Lightroom on the G840 but given that it taxes my clocked 2500k I'd want to throw as much CPU power at it as possible :)

moved my system over to a Prodigy

2922ycm.jpg

3770k at 4.7GHz
GTX 670 at 1300/6880
8GB Samsung Green DR3-2000
128GB Samsung 830 SSD - OS
128GB Crucial M4 SSD - Games/Steam

Hardware Labs Black ICE Radiator SR1 240
OcUK Tech Lab - 10w DDC Pump & EK-DDC X-RES 100 CSQ Value Combo
Mayhems Pastel - Red Coolant 1L
EK CPU and 670 block with backplate

Bit of a tight squeeze. Would like to fit a 120mm radiator at the rear to help with temps maybe and would have preferred to have the 240mm radiator top mounted but there was a lack of space with the 670 block.

are the top and bottom handles removeable of the prodigy?

If not its hardly a small itx case is it? I've been looking at downscaling but its not that much smaller than my tjo8

You can, but unfortunately removing them leaves some visible slots along the lower edges of the case. There are a few project logs around on other forums where people have done this, and even some where they have then modded the redundant feet to cover these slots.

Very much so. The new FC8 EVO case is specced to support more powerful CPUs than the one I'm using so if I were building this system today with a view to supporting lightroom I'd shoot for one of those, a Z77 board and a 3570k. I've not tested Lightroom on the G840 but given that it taxes my clocked 2500k I'd want to throw as much CPU power at it as possible :)

This was my concern: Lightroom 4.0 quickly got a reputation for being extremely slow on all but the best quadcores on release. I think Adobe addressed the issue to an extent with an update in October, but I need to know before I begin that I'm not being unreasonable going down the SFF road.

I will post some pictures up at the end of the week, but currently building the following :

(waiting on a couple of bits to turn up before I can put it all together)

Shuttle SZ77R5
i7 3770K
32GB Patriot Extreme Masters Ram
120GB Corsair SSD
1TB 64MB 7200 Seagate HDD
Reference Design AMD 7970

Just contemplating if it's worth adding a msata SSD or upgrading my SSD. Neither are a big deal. Very tempted to order the Astek 545LC, but will give the standard ICE system a go see how I get on with over clocking the 3770k. Hoping AMD stick to the same dimensions as the 7970 when they release the 8000 series so one will fit.

Im sure people will say why have you bought 32gb ram! Well, its not that expensive so why not :P

Looking forward to having a play with it this weekend, should be pretty quick. The little shuttle is a joy to have on the desk (even if it is empty...) Really nicely built and a great size.

With a little help its all coming together :D

mrba.jpg

Last edited:
Upgraded my mini itx media centre for Christmas so it can now play games. Specs are now:

Cooler Master Elite 120
ASRock H61M-ITX
Pentium G620T
4GB Kingston HyperX 1333
Sapphire HD6950 with unlocked shaders
OCZ ModXStream pro 600W
Sony Blue Ray drive
Kingston SSDnow 30GB
500GB Seagate Barracuda

The mobo, ram CPU, SSD, and HDD are carried over from the previous build and I plan to upgrade the CPU soon because its probably bottle necking the graphics card. It was playing Deus Ex: HR last night on full with 4xAA very smoothly though. Stayed pretty cool and quiet too.

Back
Top Bottom